Nitrogen for tires..............

OP
OP
B

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nitrogen is temperature resistent. No adjustment for outside air temp. needed.Pure air is 79% nitrogen anyhow. Lexus
is purportedly using from factory on LS430. Supposed to give better ride???

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think there is any con other than expense of refills. But remember, no gas is completely temperature "resistant". Nitrogen may not expand and contract at ambient temperatures as much as air (mix of Nitrogen, Oxygen, Hydrogen {water humidity}, etc.) but there still will be a small effect. Since air is mostly nitrogen anyway, you really are only gaining between 0 and 20% at best. Is it worth it? It would be cool to tell people your tires are filled with Nitrogen though!

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why doesn't people use it in racing then...?
Must be ideal in Dragracing...if it works.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's all I used when racing karts........ Works great, and is very exact.

However, unless you have time to practice and make micro changes to dial in your car for the track conditions, then I don't see a big advantage.

The best thing you can do to give yourself an edge in your race, is sell the porsche and buy another viper.
smile.gif

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wayne, are you running Silver State or Gold Rush next month? In the Porsch?

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A reason Nascar may use nitrogen in their tires is that in the event of a wheel or brake fire a tire leaking nitrogen will not causes the fire to worsen. One of the same reasons Turbine powerd aircraft (jet, turboprops) use it. Also, with high flying aircraft it will not freeze up at altitude(very cold temps) because if is very dry!

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We use bottled nitrogen to fill all of our tires. I went to my local welding supply company and bought a cylinder, cylinder cart, regulator, and hose. We wheel it into the trailer and strap it to the walls for traveling.

The obvious advantage of nitrogen is less pressure change with temperature. We have also found it very convenient to have an easily portable source. At 2000 psi the welding cylinder will fill a lot of tires. And it doesn't cost very much to get the cylinder refilled.

We don't even have an air compressor as once we got the cylinder we haven't had the need.....

Dave Golder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nitrogen has very little if zero moisture so it keeps the tire temps down. All forms of high speed auto racing use it. Wayne I have plenty in my trailer so look me up at SSCC and I will fix you up. But I want to drive the car just around the block.....

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weirdest tire-fill I've ever seen ...

I sold an old beloved '53 chevy pickup that I didn't have time to work on anymore. The old redneck that bought it comes to pick it up on his car trailer. The truck's been sitting for a while, so the tires are pretty low. The guy gets out a small 'air' tank and proceeds to fill the first tire. I smell this SO2 odor and ask him what's up and he says "It's LP gas ... I fill ALL my tires with it" After stepping back about ten paces I ask him why he would do such a thing and he tells me it's because it's liquid under pressure so he can carry more in a small tank and fill all four tires. He even used the stuff to fill his tow vehicle's tires ... INSANE!! I said "Must make for a he| | of a blowout".

Think I'll run LP gas in my viper's tires next time at the track
smile.gif

OP
OP
B

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave
You got it.............
No hookers in the car.........on the hood ok!!!See what the TT
attracts............
You must be registered for see images

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by bad viper on 08-20-2001 at 05:01 PM</font>

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use helium in my tires...hey if it was good enough for the Hindenburg and other zeppelins it is plenty good for my XGTZ's!

My Viper floats down the quarter!

dmora

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FRANK:
I use helium in my tires...hey if it was good enough for the Hindenburg and other zeppelins it is plenty good for my XGTZ's!

My Viper floats down the quarter!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I though the Hindenburg used hydrogen, thats why it blew up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte