Nitrous kit options, how many systems are out there (150-200 shot)?

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which one is the safest (have enough safety features to minimize/eliminate a blown motor - ie: fool proof), cost less than $2K, the most easy to install/deinstall by an average DIY'er, a system that will be hardly traceable once removed, and one that will put a Viper (with basic bolt ons) in the 10's on street tires (Pilots) with an average driver?

Reaction score
You may contact me regarding your application, I know I can help.

NO profit... Just pure help!

Doug Levin
smile.gif

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please feel free to call me at your convience for your nitrous solutions. We will put you in the 10's with NO other mods. You can see videos of dragstrip runs on stock tires of stock Vipers runing the number with our systems.

Safe effective power that over 250 Viper enthusiasts are presently enjoying without so much as a burnt spark plug.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Tom Http://btrviper.com
407-678-3100

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Q. Which one is the safest
A. BTR see Tom's post above

Q. (have enough safety features to minimize/eliminate a blown motor - ie: fool proof)
A. For that you MUST repeat MUST have a window switch and never leave the motor turned off and the nitrous line pressurized

Q. cost less than $2K
A. Just about all the "kits" are less than $2K if you want it installed, expect to pay more

Q. the most easy to install/deinstall by an average DIY'er, a system that will be hardly traceable once removed
A. TOOFAST (sp?) has a nice kit that looks easy to remove. I'm told that your dealer can detect the use of nitrous through motor oil sampling but they would only due that if you had some major problems, like a blown motor, burnt piston etc.

Q. one that will put a Viper (with basic bolt ons) in the 10's on street tires (Pilots) with an average driver?
A. Nope not going to happen. I consider myself an "average" driver and can't get below mid 11's with pilots. It's mostly in the launch & 1st gear that's the problem but on the street you will be a terror. Now I'm sure *some* drivers can, but you said average and most average drivers I see go 12.3-12.5 stock. Now with ET streets I'm sure even an average driver could get 10's

Reaction score
How about a Nitrous Kit made from one of the biggest companys, that has spent more money in R & D work than all others combined & actually packages up a kit made only for the viper. Also the system on the 8 Vipers that have actually run a 9 second pass. Infact I think its the only system used to get below a 10.30 nevermind a 9 sec. pass. Nitrous Express is the way to go at half the price.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Albert,

Your numbers are slightly incorrect. We have ran several 10.20 and 10.teen passes on our SINGLE STAGE system and of course have video documentation of these passes.

In any event, there are lots of choices today for Viper Nitrous kits. I am a firm believer in using the oldest and most respected name in the busines for my basic kit platform, which is NOS, Inc.

Check the NHRA, NMCA, IHRA and all other sanctioning bodies..you will find an NOS bottle in the trunk of their fastest cars.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

OP
OP
Alternative

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by MES:
Q. Which one is the safest
A. BTR see Tom's post above

Thanks MES for the info.

I've had a NOS system before on my previous car, and I've experienced the bottle to leak. NOS is combustible, but not until a certain thousand (can't remember exact number) degrees farenheit. Propane on the other hand is highly explosive in the event of even a small leak ?

Reaction score
We have swapped out many NOS systems to NX. One of the reasons for NOS bottle leaks is the design of the bottle ******. If you put both systems next to each other the first thing you will see is the better quality of the NX parts. Also the NX solenoids have a bigger orifice, so they will flow better.

Tom, glad to hear you guys are getting faster down there. Post some videos for us.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I've had a NOS system before on my previous car, and I've experienced the bottle to leak. NOS is combustible, but not until a certain thousand (can't remember exact number) degrees farenheit. Propane on the other hand is highly explosive in the event of even a small leak ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you asked "which one is safest" I thought you meant for your car (i.e. didn't burn up motor, blow holes in the hood) and not your personal physical safety. Well for your physical safety I would say the NX is safer only because it taps your existing fuel line and doesn't add a secondary fuel source (propane bottle or fuel cell) That being said I don't think the propane bottle is likely to rupture in a accident if it's mounted inside the spare tire wheel well. The gas tank sits one inch behind that half-moon spare tire cut out (on a GTS) and mounting the propane bottle there is the safest possible location. This is just my theory but I don't want to get rear ended my a semi truck just to find out.

As far as leaks, the nitrous is non flamable (at least outside under normal atmosphere) The propane is flammable, but from a leak I don't know what would happen. There are millions of backyard BBQ grills that don't seem to blow up and the BTR propane tank is essentially the same type of tank. Thats all I can tell you.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do all of these technical topics end in arguments?

Our propane equipped Supra with only a 120 shot devistated all of the Texas Vipers last month..lest we forgot about that. That car is using a NOS basic platform with our Propane injection fuel supplementation.

In any event..there are many choices of nitrous systems on the market. I like the fact that most every high performance shop in the country carries parts and supplies for NOS brand systems, while NX stuff is very hard to find..even in a big city like Orlando where I reside. Money was not an object when I purchased the nitrous system for my Viper. I wanted a trusted and respected name which was well known in all racing circles.

I looked for extras that were standard on the kit like 15lb bottles with built in gauges, bottle heaters, computerized activation, factory appearing integrated wiring harness and so forth.

As for propane..its no more flammable than the gasoline in your car..thousands and thousands of trucks and rv's drive the highways with a propane tank on board(over 200 vipers have them on board..)just about every household in America has a propane grill and my swimming pool and spa are heated with propane. I will take a DOT and ANSI approved propane tank in my trunk over a aftermarket plastic fuel cell any day! ENOUGH SAID.

Good luck to all nitrous shoppers..please contact me with any questions regarding any systems on the market as I have tuned a few NX kits and can give you the negatives about that product.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

BTW, I have about 6 Full NOS bottles in my shop at all times and I have NEVER had one that has leaked. I have seen on occasion a loose fitting on a bottle either from a customer or from an oversight during manufacutre, but never anything that was more than a loose fitting.

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both. Here's my take.

NOS propane +'s:

1)High octane fuel (reduced pre-ignition)
2)NOS part availability (jets, solenoids)
3)15# bottle
4)Bottle heater activated by temperature (heater on & bottle closed = OK)
5)Factory looking install under hood

NOS propane -'s

1)15# bottle = no spare tire
2)Pressurized flammable gas in vehicle cab (trucks, RV's have it outside)
3)No pressure control for propane
4)More electronics to fail and are hard to get(TPS activation, fuel enrichment)
5)HP limitations
6)Dow Chemical Loss Prevention Principal 6.5.4 "Cylinders containing oxidizing agents shall be separated from cylinders containing flammable gases. A fire resistant partition at least 5 ft (1.5 m) high or by a minimum distance of 20 ft (6 m)." (rule I have to go by at work)
7)No blow down tube
8)Propane cylinder is just plain ugly

NX +'s

1)simple
2)You keep spare tire
3)Used by major tuners
4)CGA (compressed Gas Association) approved bottle connection (CGA 326)
5)Higher horsepower capability
6)Price

NX -'s

1)Limited suppliers
2)No high octane source
3)Bottle heater controlled by line pressure (don't activate heater with bottle closed)

No partiallity from me. I know/like both Tom and Albert and I have used both of these kits. Let me rephrase that......I am using both of these kits. Most of the -'s can be overcome with a few more $$'s and the nitrous dealers in this Viper community can tell you how.

Oh yeah.....Tom, propane is more flammable than gasoline (National Fire Protection Association) and more likely to explode because of vaporization if it leaks. Albert, more research dollars than NOS and others combined? I dunno.

Reaction score
Oh yeah.....Tom, propane is more flammable than gasoline (National Fire Protection Association) and more likely to explode because of vaporization if it leaks. Albert, more research dollars than NOS and others combined? I dunno.

Steve, you bet they spend more time and money than the so called competition, NX just changed the fittings in the Viper kit for better flow,also in the last year upgrade the brackets, started putting high flow valves on all the bottles without extra charge, use a standard solenoid that flows to a 300 shot, the upgraded solenoid flows a 500 shot. Also they have told me that when the 2003 Vipers hit the streets, they will have a viper kit ready for sale. It is in the works right now. Not to mention, what other company has a TPS switch that you can hide, a remote bottle openers that actually works, Progressive controllers with upgradeable chips, pill asst. boxes with anodized wrenches, dual stage nozzles, and the list goes on.

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bad Albert. I didn't know you meant "Viper" research. I agree. The NOS kit I bought last year for my GTS had instructions for a Gen I complete with the wrong wire colors for a GTS and the PCM on the passenger side.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My system complete is $3000.includes custom fabricated aluminum solinoid bracket(short stainless lines),alum.trunk bracket,alum.switch panel,RPM window switch,heater,20lb.bottle(only way to go)Roe racing VEC1($400 kit only option),All "NOS",Pro race 500hp solinoids,and the kitchen sink.
My custom solinoid bracket will work with any system $150.
SAFETY wise,RPM window switch could save your motor if you miss a shift,or stick at WOT,don't forget that blow down tube.
If you've want to keep your warranty,you'll remove your system before heading to the dealer.My customers hit the dealer all the time,for everything,gotta love a race car with a warranty.A jealous mechanic,salesperson or could make a call and have your nitrous system documented against your warranty.Using my solinoid and trunk brackets,the TOOFAST system is off and on,less than hour.
cool.gif

At 9-1100psi bottle presure,we bench test the (rap out of the setup.At any price,any system,spend whatever it takes to set it up right or stay stock,its a viper remember!

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
USAF,

There is a local guy in the Houston Viper Club running a 375 shot. Car is still together - but it seems to be a lot of gas to me.

I recently purchased an NX kit from Albert and will pick it up this week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4