No Crank No Start

cumminsblake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decided to drive the Viper to my family’s place yesterday. Went to pull it out of the garage fired right up.

Had a nice 25 minute drive to parents house. 5 minutes after I got there I hop in to take my brother for a ride and when I push start button I get no response. No click nothing.

When I press the start button the radio shuts off for a fee seconds and car dings. I do show battery voltage coming on the gauge.

I checked battery with multimeter which is good, all fuses and relays under the hood. I thought it might have been clutch safety switch. Replaced the switch and same symptoms.

Any suggestions of other things to cross off my list? Was going to try and test the Ignition switch next.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad relay somewhere. The radio shutting down makes sense as most cars will disconnect auxiliary loads during cranking to give as much power as possible to the starter and computer, though the ding does sound interesting. Looks like there is a relay in the power distribution center under the hood. If you'd got someone else around you could have them hit the button while you listen to the relay and see if you can hear a click. Alternatively you could just pull it out and try jumping it with a wire, but be sure the car is in neutral.

OP
OP
C

cumminsblake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to verify and I could hear and feel the relay click when I pressed the start button.

I went ahead and ordered a new starter so will try that and hopefully that remedies my issue!

Any idea of how tough of a location these starters are in?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
They aren't that bad, probably even better with stock exhaust if I remember right. The upper bolt and the wiring can be moderately annoying to get to, but it's pretty open under the starter itself, so easy to get it out once you get everything disconnected.

Mamba_153

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decided to drive the Viper to my family’s place yesterday. Went to pull it out of the garage fired right up.

Had a nice 25 minute drive to parents house. 5 minutes after I got there I hop in to take my brother for a ride and when I push start button I get no response. No click nothing.

When I press the start button the radio shuts off for a fee seconds and car dings. I do show battery voltage coming on the gauge.

I checked battery with multimeter which is good, all fuses and relays under the hood. I thought it might have been clutch safety switch. Replaced the switch and same symptoms.

Any suggestions of other things to cross off my list? Was going to try and test the Ignition switch next.
Not sure if you've solved this yet. When you checked the Starter Relay, did you test it charged and uncharged? Also, does the car start when you remove the starter relay and attach a remote start button to 87a in the PDC (Starter relay terminal) and a ground? See my post "2005 won't start after going into dash" to see the tests I performed. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
C

cumminsblake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! I got lucky and it was just the starter. Really not hard of a job at all thankfully.

I was relieved to hear it crank when I hit the button