no one has been able to answer this yet...

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
am i wrong in recollecting that the concept car has been being dubbed the GTS-R the whole time? even in the pictures, that's what it says on the stand. in the next gen viper, will there be name differences in the coupe and convertable models (like the GTS and RT/10 now)? What does RT stand for anyway, and what do you mean by the next gen viper "being an RT"? sorry if i seem pestering! thank you so much for your response so far!

Reaction score
Historically, Dodge has used the "R/T" badge to signify the Road/Track high performance variant of the base model.

The Viper line has never had either entry-level or "SE" (luxury) models, but has an "ACR" (American Club Racer) and "GT-2" (for the FIA class they won).

Since so many of the performance package cars in the current lineup (Neon, Intrepid, Dakota, Durango) are R/Ts, it's about time the Vipers finally admitted to a common heritage with the rest of the family.

Mopar Performance News caters to the traditional Mopar enthusiasts, who have no doubt been wondering why the Vipers can't be "normal" and have a "/" between the R and T, like every other Dodge that's ever been. (like: R/T - 10) MPN is the first place I recall seeing the moniker "GTS-R/T" being used to describe what we've always referred to as the "GTS-R" (as Bob Lutz said: "R.... is for Racing!)

Does THAT answer the question?

OP
OP
P

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, i've asked a whole bunch of people and no one can tell me this...
in recent years, the racing model of the viper has been the Viper GTS-R, such as the one that team oreca has run so masterfully. however, this year they are running a Viper GTS-R/T. my question is: what is the distinction between the GTS-R and the GTS-R/T? if anyone can give me a good answer on this, i'd MUCH appreciate it!