No one will answer my cats vs. muffler e-mails. Will someone help me?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same system, but with the Walker Race Bullet mufflers the Belanger set up comes with. I have never had any exhaust smell--even with a MIL set. I did not use header gaskets, but rather black silicone per the recommendation. I have to think you've still got a leak. I can't speak to the compression theory. I only know my experience with the same system sans the stock muffler. If yours is a side exhaust, we're not comparing the same thing.

Steve

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About your "smelly" Viper
smile.gif
well I had the Belanger headers & exhaust w/o cats and had no asphyxiating fumes. This was with MAJOR exhaust leaks, so from that I can only guess your problem is unrelated to leaks unless somehow the leak is going directly into the cabin. Now some people are just more sensitive than others regarding fumes and no cats do create more irritating fumes but again they never bothered me.

Q. Will replacing the mufflers with hi-flo cats help this problem?
A. Yes see above, but what did the people in the 1960s do? I mean there were no cats until the 1970s and somehow they lived.

Q. Will replacing the mufflers with cats offer the necessary "resistance" to the engine compression?
A. ?? have no idea what you mean, should make no difference

Q. Will replacing the mufflers with hi-flo cats alter my HP or dampen the throaty sound I've come to love?
A. Maybe it just depends on what cats & what muffler, you will probably have to just try to find out

Q. Or should I consider BOTH the cats AND the mufflers?
A. That's what most people do

ggc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should use the search page to find topics which include smell and cat. There are many topics which discuss your problem. Some cars have no problem and others have serious fuel odors.

I think you will find that it has something to do with the fuel air mixture being too rich. There are some kits with psuedo O2 sensors to fool the computer. It could be an exhaust leak, but I would think the fuel mixture is most likely your problem. Good luck. Try emailing Viper Wizard.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the lack of cats. I just installed Corsa/RT cats and have yet to get the system welded. There is a leak just before the cat out of which a foul smell comes. The rear exaust is not this way. High flow cats will solve the problem.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems as though you have checked the exhaust enough. Have you checked the fuel line for leaks or any other possible areas for a fuel leak?
I had a similiar situation in my Aurora this summer, thinking all along it was the exhaust. But it wasn't. After poking around under the hood enough, I found a small leak in my Fuel line!
Just an idea!
Good luck!

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exhaust is a closed system... shouldn't matter if you have a cat or not. There is either a leak (i'm willing to bet it's in the sills, not the headers) or it's not exhaust fumes. Does it smell like raw fuel or just exhaust?

I've run headers dumping right out of 3" pipes in front of the doors on the street, never smelled any of it (well.. maybe a wiff..).

If you buy some of that "exhaust fix" tape, then wrap the weld joints where the cat delete and muffler pipes meet, that will probably reduce the smell. If it does, then you've found your problem and the joints should be re-welded.

MadMaxx

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with MES. You have a leak. Cats or no cats, mufflers or no mufflers, headers or no, cars fomr the 60's didn't necessarily smell of exhasut fumes; maybe beccasue they were always going to fast to notice....

I kept my stock headers and cats and went from cats back with Mopar systm. No problem.

I'd look for a leak. Someone mentioned the fuel line? If you were leaking gas, you'd either see it on the ground becasue gas quickly finds the path of least resistance if it doesn't burn off or evaporate first. But gas smells very different from exhaust fumes.

I'd look hard for a leak before spending money on changing parts.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who knows. I have the corsa exhaust and those crappy random technologies cats that parts rack sells. I have major fumes. It adds to the character of a big america high hp car irresponsibly burning fossil fuels.

Unless it renders you unconsious I wouldnt worry about it. If someone asks you what the smell is tell them its power they smell.

GENIIGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sapphire GTS, I too was thinking about ordering the Random Tech 3" Cat's to make my 3" Corsa system sound better [cold idle is awful;sounds like a can of marbles] but now you have me second guessing it. Obviously, if you're smelling fuel there is NO way it will pass emissions testing. Can you please answer back because I don't want to do another mod where I'm going to kick myself in the a$$ again. .... THANK'S.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had the 3" Corsa and the Random Tech cats installed on my 01 GTS, and I haven't noticed any fumes problems. I am 100% satisfied with the setup, and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. The headers are stock; I was after sound, not power. If you've got noticable fumes with those cats, something is not installed correctly and there's a leak. Or something's amiss in your car's emissions system.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my Corsa/Random Tech cat set up welded at the local Midas and one cat has a leak in it. I am going to have to pull that side off which won't be easy as it is welded now. The guy at Midas thinks he can see the problem, an incomplete weld on the back side but cannot get to it with the cat on. I didn't notice it till the other joints were welded as they were leaking more. It is producing noticable fumes. You can feel and hear the leak at the rear of the cats heat shield. Hopefully I won't have to send it back.....

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had both RT10 (GenI) and GTS with Balengers. Here are some thoughts:

1. Don't use the supplied Balenger header gaskets. They harden and fall apart. The best sealing gasket is the early Gen II Graphite/steel gasket. You can also use a 2000/2001 sandwiched stainless style, it has longer life going for it.

2. Run the engine in a dark area with the hood up and race the engine up/down a couple of times. Look for for an exhaust flash thru a failed header gasket. When I took the Balengers off of my Gen I, the gasket had failed in several spots.

3. Note! - someone in a previous post talked about using just gasket sealer on the headers, the instructions do not suggest that. They only recommend the gasket sealant on the bolted/machined flanges. The headers definitely need a gasket.

4. If the headers are not floating in the frame holes, it is possible that under acceleration (when the engine torques) the bolted flanges and/or the headers surfaces could slightly open and release exhaust fumes. Check for clearances in the direction of torque movement.

5. It is easy to incorrectly tighten the headers or bolted/machined surfaces and warp an ear, therefore, creating possible gaps, slow and sure is good.

6. I don't know what model you have, however, I had a difficult time with the Gen I/RT10 install, the headers fit the GTS fit like a glove.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Are you being sarcastic? Or do you not like the Random Technology HF cats? I was thinking of ordering then soon...I currently have Bellanger Headers and Corsa 3" cat-back, with stock cats. I'd like to hear your opinion on the Random Techs ....thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The random cats are cheap. Thats why I bought them. I wouldnt NOT get them because of that. Its just a cat. Cheap cats are ok. Its not like buying cheap heads or something.

My buddy installed them. You have to cut the old ones off and that requires taking the exhaust off at the header so you can cut and weld around. Random makes a decent cat (as I said, there are nothing hightech about cats). The Install is not an easy bolt-on. I have a pic of the install but no place to host it.