Noise when I accelerate...normal?

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes, when I get on it a little, I hear a squeaking/screeching sound from under the hood. It's not at full throttle, and it's only for a few seconds, but it still worries me. I have only owned my Viper for a couple weeks, so I don't know what is normal and what isn't. I have driven 2 Vipers and they both did it, so maybe? Help a newbie out? BTW, it is a 2000 RT/10.

Matt

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, unless you have a superchrager it is not normal. I would start by getting your head under the hood and reving it up a bit. I agree with Steve, start by listening in the belt area.

Congrats on the car, wish I could drive mine. Had it for 2 months and driven it a total of 5 minutes, I HATE WINTER!

OP
OP
I

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it might be a belt issue. No, it's not blown...it does sound a little like a supercharger though! I have K&Ns and smooth tubes, but no other mods. How hard is it to change the belt? Seems like a pain, since the hood opens backwards.
Matt

Jcoopacr2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably a Z06 hung up in the K&Ns . Couple of full throttle bursts should blow em out the exhaust. Works for me! :D

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Belt is easy to change...15mm socket on the nut on the tensioner pulley...rotate it clockwise to release tension, by my memory.

Be SURE to check all pulleys for problems...also mounting bracket on alternator.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, there is little doubt in my mind that it is your smooth tubes and filters. If it is only happening under medium to hard throtle for a couple of seconds and sounds like a whistle, that is what it is. If you were to go back to stock tubes and filters, it will stop. Why would you do that? I would not worry about it. If you take off your tubes and filters, mail them to me and I'll sell them to buy something else for the snake! :D

OP
OP
I

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked the pulleys and belt...all seems normal, so I guess it's the filters/tubes. I can live with it, I just worry too much! Thanks guys!

Matt

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll bet you $50.00 bucks your car has K&N or S&B filters. Either with smooth tubes. Also the cars you are talking about are gen2's. How am I doing so far!
They all do it! Old news!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302