none of the brake lights work anymore!?!

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi,

I went with my car to the garage for it's annual check and it failed because all of the brake lights failed to work! All three of them.

Anybody a clue where to search for the problem? Search button doesn't help me...

The block on the pedal, the connector at the brakelines under the hood?

Fuse?

Thanks for any help on this one

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nope, fuse is ok, nr 16 is 20a and not broken...

Is there a way to check the switch in the pedal, how does it work? how does it know the pedal is moving?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A wiring diagram would be useful but in simple terms it's just a mechanical switch that either by direct contact or linkage attached to the actual pedal and therefore is tripped by the movement. You can likely find it by simply worming your way into the footwell although it's usually tough to work unless you're a little fellow. Don't the brake lights have a relay? It would almost have to be something like that to kill all 3 lights at once. Can you pull the fuse and see if you have power to the fuse itself? Do you know how to do that?

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The normal lights work and I did find the little box on the pedal, but can't figure out how it works.

Is there a relay? Much more easy to test this first. I did not check the bulbs as I won't believe both bulbs and the complete third brake light die all at the same time.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked in the manual to my '01 and no relay. Your '92 may or may not have a relay. I still think pulling the fuse back out and confirming there is actually power at the fuse buss would be a good idea.

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also looked through this pdf, apart from this pdf being very handy and just been printed, there is no relay, so it seems. Gonna just replace the fuse, just in case and measure the activityin there, than I know if the problem lays before or after that point.

When I find the answer I will let you know.

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it was the switch on the pedal, it did not move anymore, it should be released when the pedal goes down and turn the lights on, when the pedal comes back up, it is pressed which turns the lights back off.

didn't have to buy a new one, it just slided off it's position which kept the button pressed and the lights of.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on finding the problem. I heard somewhere that 90% of all electrical problems are mechanical.....

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its called the slip clutch effect syndrom, or something like thaht.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
huunny!!!! go get daddy a beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now!!!!!!!!! that fixes them every time.