NOS or Roe, Paxton?

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel its time for some more HP. What should I go with? I can't make up my mind. I did do road course events but I'm done with that. Cars on the street are getting faster all the time. Car stays in my garage most of the time and comes out on Sat. nights looking for little action. Might start going to Bradenton 1/4 more often. On ET's and exhaust only car has ran 11.3. I feel I need to be at least mid 10's. Which way should I go?

Thanks,
Mike

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the nitrous thing but filling the bottles gets real old, real quick especially for me since I used mine a lot! Also, if you have a 10# bottle you only have 6 1/2#'s of usable nitrous, the last 3 1/2#'s is worthless because you can't get enough bottle pressure. Great power but blowers are instant on and no worrying if the bottles are open or even if you have nitrous to begin with. Get a Paxton, you will not be sorry. Sure nitrous is the less expensive way to go but just remember that nitrous runs around $5 per pound and if you use it a lot like I did, it adds up really quickly.

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nitrous! No hassles and runs all the time! No downtime due to installation and easy on easy off when it's time to sell.

Have it, love it, no problems.

Ivory

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
that was my only pass because they booted me off the track.

Why?

Also, I was wondering how much SC or NOS affects the fuel economy. These cars aren't all that high on the EPA rating to begin with. NOS or a Paxton is something I'm considering in a year or two. Maybe after the Gen IV 650 hp super Viper is released next January.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that was my only pass because they booted me off the track.

Why?

Also, I was wondering how much SC or NOS affects the fuel economy. These cars aren't all that high on the EPA rating to begin with. NOS or a Paxton is something I'm considering in a year or two. Maybe after the Gen IV 650 hp super Viper is released next January.
Because at most tracks if not all NHRA tracks any faster than 11.5 in the 1/4 mile you must have a roll cage. I don't have a cage and i ran a 10.66@131 mph so i got the boot but i wasent mad because i ran a 10 second pass. I think i can do better also maybe a 10.30 with a bigger fuel pill :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you didnt buy a viper for fuel economy i hope...

i went the nitrous way and loved it. its only on when i want it on but like ieat said it gets old having to refill all the time. it IS economical though if ya use it wisely.

so im going to be installing a DLM paxton this winter.. :)

OP
OP
M

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the person worried about fuel economy, that is last of my worries. If you want good mileage drive interstate in 6th gear all the time and you will get 20-21mpg.

I promise I'm not slamming the Roe but, it seems like alot of people end up adding more hp with nos and tuning cards, **** kit, pulleys, etc. and end up selling.

I don't seem to hear all those issues with the Paxton and was thinking if this was the way to go if total cost was about the same.

Does one seem to run cooler than the other? Have less problems?

Thanks,
Mike

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in all fairness to the roe, there are a LOT MORE of them on the road than the paxtons so you WILL hear of more problems just in that by the numbers there HAS to be more..

i think it depends on the type of power YOU want to have, if YOU wanna install it and what type of driving you do mostly and if you like the looks of an intercooler like i do.

cost is very similiar installed.

if ya want a great price by a great tuner on paxton, call kevin at underground racing. he gave me the best price on install,some upgrading of the basic paxton kit and tuning it.

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the nitrous thing but filling the bottles gets real old, real quick especially for me since I used mine a lot! Also, if you have a 10# bottle you only have 6 1/2#'s of usable nitrous, the last 3 1/2#'s is worthless because you can't get enough bottle pressure. Great power but blowers are instant on and no worrying if the bottles are open or even if you have nitrous to begin with. Get a Paxton, you will not be sorry. Sure nitrous is the less expensive way to go but just remember that nitrous runs around $5 per pound and if you use it a lot like I did, it adds up really quickly.

Very well said. It may be more pricey up front, but its weel worth it to go with the s/c. Either way, I'm sure you'll love it!

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Juice Mike, Juice!

No fancy timing and fuel computers, no extra pulleys, belts, high engine temps, crowded engine compartments, deck of special cards, and high octane fuel required to turn up the boost. A 15lb nos bottle will last quite a few weekends at the Gandy, and you will have a stealth advantage on the street. People hear whining blowers and put you on a pedistal....one that you will fall from quickly if you simply bolt on a paxton to an otherwise stock Viper. You simply will not have the power to outrun your same Viper with a nitrous system installed instead.

Question: how many streetraces will you race before running out of nitrous? How many times have you seen me run out of nitrous? How many times will someone want to get beat by you while they wait for you to run out of nitrous? Answer: They will lose more times than their friends will want to hang out and watch.......and you will still have lots of spray left for the next night.

It's gonnna cost about $ 45.00 to fill an empty 15lb bottle. A full bottle will get you about 14 full quarter mile passes on a one stage system (thats alot of traffic light or roll on racing...folks don't realize how long 10 seconds is while racing around town or from an 80 mph roll)
You can fill it about 180 times to make up the difference over the cost of the paxton S/C. Also, when you want to sell the nitrous kit, you will lose money, but you will have a much larger market segment to sell to and a Viper that shows no evidence of nitrous installation. OR, try and sell your paxton to a VERY LIMITED market, and lose even more money on the resale.

Anyway, thats my $ 0.02 (with no sales pitch about BTR). Flak jacket installed, bring on the comebacks!

JEDI

P.S. Keep in mind that Mike's car is relatively stock, not a race fuel breathing 7 second wanna be.

OP
OP
M

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom where have you been? You know I have always respected your advice. PM me with a good price, lessons included right. I didn't think you were doing them still do to your work schedule.

We need to get the gang back to old times enjoying these cars. It would be nice to get about 6 vipers or so to go to Bradenton once a month.

Look forward to seeing you again. Hope the family is doing well.

Mike

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are definite advantages to each type system.

This past weekend I raced a Twin Turbo Gen I (Dansauto) and Roe Super Charged Gen I (Redenuff93) in my heads, cam and Nitrous Gen I using 200 HP Single stage jets. I beat them both on all the races we did, I was actually surprised. :2tu:

I agree with Tom I have really never run out of Nitrous with my 15 lb bottle, but occassionally I did not have it open when I ran accross the pesty Z06 on the open highway.

I also had the chance to drive both cars and say I liked the way forced induction felt on a viper. The Roe Blower appealed to me because of the price and just how nice it seemed to pull at low RPM and in any gear. Plus no hassles on filling the bottle etc, it is also by far one of the best looking blowers out there. I know they seem to have lower HP limitations than the Paxton kit's, but I guess if you are looking to only pick up a 150 wheel hp this system is great.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to respectfully disagree with Tom on getting 14 quarter mile passes on 1 15# bottle of Nitrous. If you are running a 50 shot then maybe but most people are running at least a 150 shot and highter. It all depends on how big your jets are. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Nitrous when I had it on my car but you are limited and everybody knows that. And like I said, the last 3 #'s of Nitrous is useless whether in a 10# or 15# bottle.
As far as "blower whine" goes maybe with a Roe but my Paxton has NO whine whatsoever. Instant on power is great as well.
Pros and cons to both systems and I love both of them. Everybody is different and when you use Nitrous as much as I did, filling the bottles got really old.

OP
OP
M

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate everyones feedback. I guess it really comes down to how often and how you plan on using the car. Also what kind of budget you want to set.

I guess in my case, car comes out only when time to go play, weekend warrior at track, sometimes at popular location in area.

If driven more often or everyday it seems blower would be the way to go.

They all seem to have goods and bads. In my case and use, I think going Nos with Tom might be the way to go.

Thanks everyone,
Mike

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you have tom near you and id trust him for sure, go with nitrous. it IS safe and reliable.

mine was 577/856 on a 200 shot.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For that amount of use I would go with a nos/propane system.

You must be registered for see images attach

its laso for sale :smirk: ;)

vd..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32