NT05 vs Supersports?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I've asked this before, but it was when the SS's first came out. Now that they've been out for a while, has anybody tried them that has also tried the NT05's?
I'm thinking of possibly ditching the Invo's and I'm curious. VPA has the full set of NT05's for just over $1100, so it's pretty tempting to try. Especially since I was thinking of going with them before the SS's came out.
Obviously, the SS's will last longer, but what about performance wise? There are deals out there on the Sport Cups, but I know they wear out really fast. Are the NT05's that bad?
I have Hoosiers for the track now and I know no street tire will match them performance-wise, but going back the Invo's on the street is pretty brutal. Lol

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...........Invo's are great street tires, why not run them again? The only thing better would be the Michelin offerings of PS2 or the new Super Sports. The Cups are not very good for the street -they don't like cooler temps and the are like banana peels until they come up to track temp. Factoring cost, longevity, and performance, the Nitto Invo wins hands down in my book. -performance only, PS2!

VNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my second set of the NT05's !! Had invos before that and the performance is So much better with the NT05's , only down side is the they do wear out faster than the invos ... Oh and don't drive them in the rain !

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan, I see what you're saying on the size thing, but if you look at the actual measurements between the 345 Invo and the 335 NT05, they are almost identical.

VNM, How fast are we talking about wearing out (mileage wise). I will see mostly cruising miles with some pretty hard moutain runs on them also, but I'm not out there burning the rears off in clouds of smoke. For the cruising time, my Invo's are fine, but they are definitely a handicap when it comes time to hit the Dragon or something and I'n not taking the Hoosiers up to run the Dragon. lol Plus, there might be a time where I have to drive the car the track instead of trailering it. I would like to be able to have some better tires for that situation.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen some C5 Z06 guys at the track with NT-05's. They seem to hold up well and be fairly fast and consistent on those cars. It seems like an 'in between' tire. Not really a track tire, not really a street tire, not good in the rain, can't drive in the snow, .......at least with the Invo, you know what it is. A really good street tire that is smooth and quiet, and does very poorly at the track. -I just put a set of Invo's on my Corvette (street car) they are great for that. It would be nice if we had more selections available for the Viper though.

F

FrgMstr

Here is what the 335 NT05 tires look like on stock rims.

They were very solid on the track TILL they had been run through 3 20min heats on a fairly fast 2.5 mile road course. They gave up the ghost after that, but I knew I was asking a lot of these. I am going SuperSports this next go round.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn! I can't believe they let go that bad after such a short time.

Do you mean they just got slower, or they became almost "worthless"? I've run 4 track days at Road Atlanta on the Invo's and while they're not very fast on the track, they pretty much stayed consistenly bad and didn't go from bad to much, much worse. If you haven't run Road Atlanta, it sounds similar to what you're talking about (2.5 mile, pretty fast track).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456