Nuts, no spectators allowed at Milan..

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man that's disappointing. The VCA told me this morning NO SPECTATORS ALLOWED. I put that in caps, because that's how it sounded to me...like a definite, "You're not wanted! I can think of alot of reasons why spectators should be allowed, especially if they're VCA members.. but I cannot think of any reason not to allow VCA memebers who for whatever reason did not opt to participate in the entire Regional Rendevous to NOT be ALLOWED to come and watch-maybe get drag fever for the next Regional meet 2 years from now. So it'll just be the occupants of the 45 Vipers in the stands. Sounds rather empty.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm very surprised the VCA would do that. I'd imagine that they'd accept as much fanfare as they could receive. At least I didn't talk my family into going all the way up there for nothing. Long trip from Columbus.

S

SUN RA KAT

They even allow spectators at Viper Days if you register that you want to be a spectator in advance.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At first I read this thread subject and thought it read :

"Spectators, no nuts allowed at Milan..."

I thought it was an F1 Silverstone related post! :)

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They even allow spectators at Viper Days if you register that you want to be a spectator in advance.
I can attest to that as my dad and I went to VIR to watch the races on Saturday. We had a great time. If only the Rendevous would take a lesson from this.

Does anyone know if all the Rendevous are like this, or just this one in MI? If I don't get a reply I may try to contact Andy Levitt, Northeast Zone Director to ask him.

OP
OP
F

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I talked to the young VCA rep tonight in person at the Rendevous barbeque..other than repeatedly saying "It's a paid event.." ,and .."the number of people who would be eating was already determined by those who've registered/paid." ( Can't the racers and other paid 3 day Rendevous attendees wear wristbands at Milan? No wristband-no food? ) there was no other real reason given or entertained. In fact, she was rather indignant about the entire thing, and finally turned away from me - thus ending the conversation..

I didn't expect to be allowed to spectate from my discussion with her, but I sure didnt like getting the brush-off from some 'kid' who doesn't appreciate that it's the members who comprise the club and through membership fees, pay her salary. We ARE the club. Members do have a right question a policy now and then.

It's not a crazy idea to allow VCA members in as spectators, and it wouldn't have cheapened the $120 each of those attending the full three day event and it's functions paid to do so.
VCA members who wanted to be spectators could have paid $10 or something to get in, contributing to the cost of the track rental. Milan has a supply of pitpass wristbands already there...

Nuts.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
other than repeatedly saying "It's a paid event.." ,and .."the number of people who would be eating was already determined by those who've registered/paid."
Ok, so it's paid. What's the big deal? I've been to paid events before without being a Viper owner (was paid for in order to eat, though). Just hand everyone a pass, wristband, or stamp. I've been to Viper Days just as a spectator, no charge to go in and watch. They had a dinner afterward, which I didn't go to since I didn't pay, no biggie.

Maybe next Rendevous, they can accomadate spectators.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, let me tell you a little story. There are those folks that have registered at a VOI, said that they have lost their credentials, been reissued, and then given the "lost" ones to their friends so that they would not have to pay. They've basically stolen from the VCA and everyone else sho has paid.

So, when you have 2 levels of attendees, you have to have additional security to make sure folks don't try to get the full Monty on a spectator pass. It's not that they don't want to accomodate you - but sometimes it increases the amount of work, changes the insurance that is required (a spectator event can cost thousands more) and complicates things when it's only a handful of viper Headquarters folks trying to run the event.

And the behavior of some folks in the past has put a damper on it for others.

Hopefully they can find a way to accomodate those who want to watch - but if you are a VCA member, why aren't you attending???

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent the whole day at Milan. From 8:30 to 3:00. There was no "full Monty" to worry about. A $10.00 ticket for food. That was all. There was no need for Rendezvoux credentials at all. In the morning there were quite a few Vipers and owners that made for a small spectator group. Around 10:00, several Vipers departed for the plant tour. From then until 2:00 there was only around 5 or 6 of us running and watching. Not much of crowd. I believe we would have enjoyed additional participants. With only the food stand coupon separating the Rendezvous participants from the others I cannot believe security would be a risk factor.

There were plenty of non-Viper owners that were allowed in starting around 12:00 for a vintage Mopar event weekend. They pretty much ignored the whole Viper thing, not even watching from the stands.

In the future I would hope that others (owners or not) would be allowed to watch. It would increase the excitement.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to have come. I hear they totally revamped the track at Milan this year so they could qualify to hold some big time drag race events. I'm planning on getting out there some time this season. What kind of times were the Vipers running? Especially the near stock ones on street tires. I'm wondering how much better the launch area is this year. The best I got on street tires there last year was around 1.95 or so 60' time I think.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you NUTS??? You only pay $100 a year for a cheesy magazine and a cute little name tag, you're nuts to expect any sort of "special treatment". /sarcasm

What's with keeping it to 100 members anyway? The more people = cheaper costs. Doesn't make sense to me.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, let me tell you a little story. There are those folks that have registered at a VOI, said that they have lost their credentials, been reissued, and then given the "lost" ones to their friends so that they would not have to pay. They've basically stolen from the VCA and everyone else sho has paid.

So, when you have 2 levels of attendees, you have to have additional security to make sure folks don't try to get the full Monty on a spectator pass. It's not that they don't want to accomodate you - but sometimes it increases the amount of work, changes the insurance that is required (a spectator event can cost thousands more) and complicates things when it's only a handful of viper Headquarters folks trying to run the event.

And the behavior of some folks in the past has put a damper on it for others.

Hopefully they can find a way to accomodate those who want to watch - but if you are a VCA member, why aren't you attending???

We're not talking about a VOI here we're talking about a zone event, what kind of food are they serving that would warrant airport level security? Were there steaks and racks of ribs followed by expensive wines? I doubt it, there's always too much food at these things anyways so what if a couple cheapskates come and steal a couple slices of cheese, that's for their conscience, it shouldn't be grounds to warrant not letting other VCA members even watch. If I was denied that I might be more motivated to buy my kid an SVT focus instead of an SRT-4.

OP
OP
F

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah well. I had to settle for watching two Roe S/C cars get zeroed in on the dyno. First one managed 560hp. I left before the second one was finished but heard later the second (with alot of mods) made 680hp. : )

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't miss much. Track conditions were terrible!! No prep what so ever. Plus hot and sticky air. Everyone was a half second off, minimum. No classes, just awards for low et in each of two sessions.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't miss much. Track conditions were terrible!! No prep what so ever. Plus hot and sticky air. Everyone was a half second off, minimum. No classes, just awards for low et in each of two sessions.

Now you know why my best ET is only 12.2. I only race at Milan as it is the closest track, but the track prep does ****. Actually I have raced one other place up in Canada at Grand Bend, but it rained all night and all day before I ran and the track conditions weren't the best. Arrrrgggghhh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whiteinf05