OBDII Plug missing

NZGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Apon delivery of my nice new STC Flash tool from ROE, I set about finding my OBD II plug to connect the reader to.
Now before you all start jumping in and saying it is near the drivers feet under the consel.... My car is converted to right hand drive(the proper side he he:)). And after a good hour with most of the dash apart,upside down with all the blood rushing to my head,(I looked on both PAX and DRVS sides) I failed to find the plug.!!:omg:I am guessing the company that did the conversion removed it.
1/Now Has any one ever wired in a new OBD II plug?
2/ I am guessing that all the pins originate from the PCM?
3/what pinouts from the PCM correspond to the pin ins to the plug.
I am looking at buying a plug from the local dealer and wiring it into the PCM direct and having the plug in the engine bay, this over comes two problems a) re looming though the fire wall b) saves me digging around the dash every time I want to check the tune/fault codes.

Am in New Zealand so will be doing this all myself as the dealers here have hardly seen a viper let alone worked on it.

thanks heaps if anyone can help

Craig

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a manual. They have the wiring diagrams.

Although I don't know what it is there is what looks like a connection port in front of the radiator surge bottle in the engine compartment on my '01 GTS. Looks like a port of some kind with a cover stuck in it.

OP
OP
N

NZGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have gone right through all the wiring diagrames in the wksp manual( and what a fantastic manual it is, has to be up there as one of the best manuals I have ever used) and nothing on the OBD II Plug.

thanks for that though.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
NZGTS...look in your manual for "Data Link Connector"...that IS the OBD-II connector.

Check the "Pin Outs" section of your Service Manual for details.

Best of luck !!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's for the DRL module ( as well than the 2 holes on top of the aluminum brace

Luc 00GTS

Get a manual. They have the wiring diagrams.

Although I don't know what it is there is what looks like a connection port in front of the radiator surge bottle in the engine compartment on my '01 GTS. Looks like a port of some kind with a cover stuck in it.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DRL as in Daytime Running Lights

DRL Module? :dunno:

Service manual no bueno for that term. :confused:

Also great to know that those holes are for a reason other than me to assume the previous owners were up to something stupid.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NZGTS, if you don't have a Dodge Service manual, PM me and I will scan in what seem to be the helpful pages and email them to you as a multipage PDF file. *** to me automatically send a notice to my email, which I check frequently. Don't forget your own email.

In the service manual, the OBD-II port is called the "Data Link Connector." In my '99 edition on page 8W-80-14 it shows the pin out connections. There are only 8 live wires out of the 16 pin plug. Cavity 1 is RKE Module program enable, cavity 3 is CCD BUS+, cavity 4 and 5 are ground, cavity 6 is SCI Receive, cavity 7 is SCI Transmit, cavity 11 is CCD Bus -, cavity 16 is fused ign switch output.

As you guessed, the SCI transmit and receive, as well as the CCD Bus + and - are available at the PCM. The RKE Module (I haven't found what that acronym is for) is labeled as the electronic entry module in the service manual (page 8W-30-3.)

The DRB (Diagnostic Readout Box) plugs into the OBD-II port, which according to my '99 Dodge service manual, is normally on the footbox wall just immediately left of the clutch pedal and next the the heater duct outlet.

I never had to look into this, but appears easier to do than to explain.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte