OE Door Speaker Replacement Choice

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading dozens of posts and posting a few myself, I'm placing an order today. Heck, I've only been talking about it for 6 months already! I will be keeping the entire OE system stock except for this change and I'll be re-using the OE grills.

So my choice is between:

1. Polk DB651S slim mount
  2. Kicker Car Audio 08KS600
Both are drop in. I found the Polks for $93.00 including shipping and the Kickers for $60.00 including shipping, making price of little concern (not that I would mind saving $33). Since I will be using them with the fader significantly biased to "front", I think I will need them to be able to handle as much of the system base as possible, so I therefore think that whichever has better base might be the better choice. They both have similar response low end numbers.

Thanks to Anthony for this excellent "how-to" post http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...7959-installed-kicker-ks600-6-5-speakers.html which I think I'm going to move to the "illustrated upgrade" area for everyone future reference.

Anyway, if anyone has a strong opinion between the 2 choices, please say so. I'm not looking for anything but "drop-ins" so these are the only choices I'd consider ... unless of course someone advises that I'm wrong (not unusual) when I'll reconsider for ANOTHER 6 months! :brick:

OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Further down in Anthony's thread he writes:

They seem to be very comparable. The Kickers have a lower frquency response (good for bass), but the Polks have a 2db higher sensitivity. I'd say their higher sensitivity ties to the lower power handling compared to the Kickers.

Just get whichever speakers you can get your hands on easiest. I only listen to a CD for about 5 minutes last night before I posted this, so I don't have long-term knowledge of the Kickers, however it was a night and day difference over the stock speakers. I haven't heard the Polk's, but Polk makes a decent speaker.

It's also important to note that audio sounds different to everyone. Considering these are just speaker replacements for a factory system, I doubt one is going to perform much better than the other. Just get whichever is cheaper/easiest to pick up.

- Anthony

So I guess there's no material difference between the 2?

OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
scott, glad to see your ears are doing ok....... :)

The tunnel had me lmao! I saw the tunnel and had a quick thought about how Phil should really open it up in here... and then not a moment later VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM! I laughed so hard I had to wipe my eyes.

If you don't mind spending a little more,check out MB Quart or JL Audio speakers.

But those are not "drop-in" as far as I can tell, right?

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be very careful taking off the door panels. The top strip is very fragile. and not replacable without the entire door panel

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
City I have been running the Polks in my car for three years now with the fader towards these. The sound is night and day difference. If you are interested we can meet up this weekend for you to take a listen. I am in merrick now which is a nice drive from the city. I think I am going to Oak Beach Sunday morning if you can make it there.

The Polks are a great choice.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those new slim mount polks are not as powerful as the old polks db650 which i had in my 03...probably marginal on the performance but i went with the kickers this time on the 08.... i also like the kicker snap on carbon cover which would look good considering the color of your stipes city...and no need to take off the door panels obviously...here are pics again

k2.JPG
k1.JPG

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the polks in my Mamba and the Kickers I just put into the SRT8....I was curious and tried the audio comparision by improvising a temporary connection into the Mamba right speaker (6.5) connection.....in my opinion the kickers are not as tinny as the polks....I would go for the Kickers.....

Snake Oil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been very happy with the kickers in my 300C SRT8, plus due to the fact that in the Viper you will be dealing with engine noise you'll probably be happier with the extra power the Kickers deliver.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the JL Audio VR series components. Comes with separate woofer(speaker) tweeter and crossover.
The woofer is direct replacement, multi-hole face for those that care, hence you can use factory covers.
Tweeter fits location but needs a bracket made( 1"X3" piece of flat metal's what I used)
Ditched the JL crossovers so I didn't have to change any wiring.
What I did do was cut the crossovers that are wired in line with the stock tweeter and installed them on the JL tweeters, that way I used the factory wire connectors.
Sounds good to me.

OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I only wish my ears were as discerning as those of many of you. I'm pretty sure that all of these will sound better....but if I sat in front of each I wouldn't be able to notice any difference between them. Blame it on Jimi Hendricks, boom boxes and my youth! :omg: :smirk:

Just ordered the Kickers since they're cheap and available. I wasn't planning to use anything but the OE grill, but I'll check out the look of the "graphite" Kicker grills, since you mentioned it WB!

Great having so many detail minded Viper nuts around. You guys/gals are such a great help :2tu:!

Hawaii Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed the POLK's this past weekend, simple install, excellent sound, best mod so far. I kept the factory grills on mine, I like the clean look
Enjoy the music!!

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the kickers in my 09 last week too , nice upgrade .easy install - 10 mins max per side .

But i didnt notice the HUGE difference some are talking about . But easy cheap upgrade for sure.