OEM Drivers Side Headlight

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in need of some help, my drivers side headlight was damaged tonight:mad: and I need some help finding a used or new oem headlight for my 2000 GTS.

If anyone knows where I can find one or has a used headlight for sale please let me know.

Thanks Jeff

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Give Jon B@partsrack a try. He may have one laying around.

Jon B did not have one at the moment but I did learn from him about the prices on a new and used headlight and all I have to say is :omg: they are alot of money, looks like I will be saving up for a while :(

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did want to give everyone a heads up on staying away from the 3M headlight lens restoration system, because of this kit I now need a new headlight :mad:

This was my second headlight lens restoration system that I have purchased, the first kit that I got was for my second car and it worked pretty good but not so good for the viper.

They use a 4 step process to restore the lens.

Step #1 use the p500 grit abrasive disc on the lens

Step #2 use the p800 grit abrasive disc on the lens

Step #3 use the p3000 trizact foam disc with water on the lens

Step #4 use the orange foam compounding pad and rubbing compound on the lens

This is just a shortened version but the #3 step is the one that destroyed my headlight because as I was removing the scratches with this pad it some how ripped to shreds while I was doing this and put a quarter size burn mark that is indented into the lens along with the remainding scratches. I can go out and buy another kit to remove what scratches are left but there will still be the white burn mark which will not come out.

Sorry for such the long post tryed to keep it as short as possable.

Jeff

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread...but if anyone has a "spent" headlight and would be willing to part with the upper grey rubber drain tube....I sure could use one. My 96 is missing this on one side.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread...but if anyone has a "spent" headlight and would be willing to part with the upper grey rubber drain tube....I sure could use one. My 96 is missing this on one side.

Matt:

I have 1, if you give me your adress I will put it in the mail for you

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Scharf in WI always seems to be able to come through on stuff like this. Good guy, give him a call if you still need the part.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did want to give everyone a heads up on staying away from the 3M headlight lens restoration system, because of this kit I now need a new headlight :mad:

This was my second headlight lens restoration system that I have purchased, the first kit that I got was for my second car and it worked pretty good but not so good for the viper.

They use a 4 step process to restore the lens.

Step #1 use the p500 grit abrasive disc on the lens

Step #2 use the p800 grit abrasive disc on the lens

Step #3 use the p3000 trizact foam disc with water on the lens

Step #4 use the orange foam compounding pad and rubbing compound on the lens

This is just a shortened version but the #3 step is the one that destroyed my headlight because as I was removing the scratches with this pad it some how ripped to shreds while I was doing this and put a quarter size burn mark that is indented into the lens along with the remainding scratches. I can go out and buy another kit to remove what scratches are left but there will still be the white burn mark which will not come out.

Sorry for such the long post tryed to keep it as short as possable.

Jeff

I've done several lamps with the 3M kit with no problems. You have to use it properly, keep it wet and don't bear down on surface. 3M or Turtle Wax are both excellent but you have to know what you are doing or you can screw up a lens.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paul Scharf in WI always seems to be able to come through on stuff like this. Good guy, give him a call if you still need the part.

I called paul yesterday and he does not have a LH headlight at this time but was very helpfull and told me some good info.

Thanks
Jeff

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've done several lamps with the 3M kit with no problems. You have to use it properly, keep it wet and don't bear down on surface. 3M or Turtle Wax are both excellent but you have to know what you are doing or you can screw up a lens.

I have used them before aswell with good results and did the same method that worked for me in the past.

I think the reseason this went bad for me this time was due to a defaulty pad because this time like times in the past I sprayed water as I do this step along with spraying the pad and lens which should be plenty of water but the pad still fell apart.

Normally I would take blaim for this but I have used this kit before once on my car and a few other times on friends cars and never had this happen or even come close, so that why I think that something was wrong with the pad.

Either way I still wanted to give everyone a heads up so this does not happen and leave someone eles with a $700 bill to fix there car.

Jeff

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I spoke with 3m today, the guy was very nice and seemed to be very concerned about my problem.

I had sent an email 2 days ago letting them know what had happened while using there product and when speaking with them today they feel that with there kit I should be able to fix the damage and they are sending it to me in the mail to go ahead and try at no charge.

So when I receive there package I am going to give it a shot and hope for the best.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I spoke with 3m today, the guy was very nice and seemed to be very concerned about my problem.

I had sent an email 2 days ago letting them know what had happened while using there product and when speaking with them today they feel that with there kit I should be able to fix the damage and they are sending it to me in the mail to go ahead and try at no charge.

So when I receive there package I am going to give it a shot and hope for the best.

Can you send me a picture of the damage?

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is some pictures of my lens, the scratches I know will come out its the white burn that I am unsure of.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php