Of course, the 2003 styling makes sense now.

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you who haven't vomited yet.

humor.jpg

Of course, it all makes sense now.

DCX execs should be SHOT FOR PUTTING MR. CAMRY IN CHARGE OF AMERICA'S SPORTS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

#%$(!*!(^!^)*()*!@$!@#$!@$#@!$@!$#!!!

(apologies if this has been posted already).

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you serious?

Im seriously selling my viper after reading that. Does anyone what a 2001 Sapphire GTS with 3 inch corsa and a big wing.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had been trying to reserve judgment on the SRT, but after getting my new Motor Trend and Automobile this weekend, both of which have it on the cover, I decided it looked like a stretched S2000 with a couple of scoops added on. My wife (not a car buff really) examined the pictures and declared that it looked a lot like a vette. Up to that point, I had not been to the Gen. III board here or read a single word about what anyone else thought about it. Then I checked out the Gen. III board, and lo and behold, there were numerous posts about how it looks like an S2000 or a vette! Sometimes the truth just can't be denied.
frown.gif

But the interior looks nice (had to find something good to say).

Ronnie

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way to show DaimlerChrysler how bad the car looks is not to buy the ugly red headed step child of the ultimate American sport car.

If sales are low maybe they will consider a redesign in 2005.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[board of directors meeting]

Ummm lets get started... as you know the Viper is Americas premiere sports car... it has a huge V-10... distinctive muscle car styling... so who should we get to design the new Viper.... tough one... still thinking... maybe someone that has built muscle cars before... maybe a legendary race car driver... ummm no... I know, lets get somebody that was born in Japan... hey yea, they build great cars... but who in Japan should we get... how about someone that builds those cute little econo cars... that's great idea... those Camrys look bad asp... hey don't forget about those terrors on the street... huh... you know the Corollas... yea, yea, yea... so then it's settled... the old Japanese guy that's designed those small econoboxes with 1.8L engines for the past 20 years... yep, who else would be better qualified... Sushi anyone... pass the rice please...

[meeting adjourned]

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually think that sketch looks really cool!

Why doesn't the car in front of it look like the sketch???
smile.gif

LOL

I like the SRT... but that sketch is killer looking

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO it looks even worse in person. This just explains it. Holy hell.. I can't believe they did it! I personally like the S2000 up close better than the SRT! Honestly, the **** thing looks plastic.

Oh, and that sketch... the headlights look like the new Celica.. did he have anything to do with that too!?!

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be happy and hold on to your machine...

This body change reminds me when they went from C2 Corvette to
the shark body style. Most people viewed the previous gen better looking, and the price of those cars shows it today.

I'm definately NOT complainin' :)

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did read the Autoweek article and one good point is that gen one and two cars will hold their value as the gen three car wont generate such a demand that the older models will loose their magic. good for current owners..bad for DC. They at least should put some stripes on the dang thing and use the cool gas filler cap.

Oh well I cant afford a new Viper anyway.

I think if someone put a 2002 gts and a 2003 SRT in front of me and gave me a choice I would pick the 2002. sorry DC.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gas filler cap? What are they going to--a pop open door?

It's a little thing, but people dig the Charger gas lid, including me. The Charger is my hands down favorite classic car, and someday (when I have more time) I'm gonna rebuild one. This is, in part, to its cool gas cap.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition to assigning a guy who designed bland Japanese econoboxes to design the car, the other shocking thing I read about the redesign is that the original plan for the Gen. III car was simply to design a proper folding convertible top to work with the existing body! And since that was going to require redesigning several body panels, they just decided to redesign everything! What a brilliant thought process for an American icon. If they had put this guy in charge of refurbishing the Washington Monument he would have just torn it down and built a replica of the Eiffel Tower instead.

Also, while the new interior does appear to be a nice improvement, the "normal" hood is a downer, and the intake is not nearly as attractive as the existing one.

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought I detected a bit of that "Atomic Cockroach" school of automotive design with the SRT-10....

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget about that new row of VERTICAL gauges in the SRT. (Nothing I'd rather do when driving fast than take my eyes far off the road to stare down at some of my gauges.) DUMB!!!

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark O:
Last night, I showed a friend the pictures that I took last week from Conner Ave. & this was the first picture I put on the screen........

Never having seen the 2003 Viper, the first words out of his mouth were "What is that a new Miata?"

CASE CLOSED!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's is the best picture I have seem yet to date. From that angle the car actually looked ok. Not great...but ok. It would make for a nice Honda. If they put Honda S2000 badges on it...then I would say...that's cool for a ricer.

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it is made by the designer of the corrola/camry, and the econobox name of S T R A T U S seems more apprpriate each and every day. COME ON STRATUS RAG TOP!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats the pic my sister saw when she said it (the back) looks camaroish. It may not compare to what we have now, but I think I like it, but not in red. maybe if I can get one, I can change all the badging to s2000, and change the fang on the hood to a nice capital "H". Aren't oil changes at the Honda dealership cheaper???? Think the service guy would notice?

Keller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is gettting to funny to read at work BWHAHAHAH. I love it.... so far we have (in no particular order) miata, 85 corolla, corvette, S2000 etc.. When I do get a Viper it will be a Gen II not Gen III.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well at least the GTS isn't going to plummet in value anytime soon. What a shame, they really should fire those responsible. I don't think the Viper community (their customers) wants Japanese design for an American icon. Whose stupid idea was this? Hope they got fired. Oh well, I don't plan on buying one and I hope the GT-40 makes this "idea" of Dodges look stupid.

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by 2tall:
For those of you who haven't vomited yet.

============================================

Well, I've vomited already..but now you've given me excessive and frequent watery feces.

What a total shame. Unbelievable that the Viper would come to this. Absurd.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big D:
If you use profane language on this board they will delete the post.............you can make racial, bigoted remarks all day long however. Keep your red neck comments to your self.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The intellectual prowess displayed in this thread is mind-boggling.

JF,

So, you would consider a car that has an excellent sales record, good magazine reviews, greatly increased performance, and is better in every way a big mistake that people should be fired over, because YOU don't like it?

Boy, sometimes I really get a kick out of how important some of us think we are to Dodge. If WE don't like what they make, people deserve to be fired and DC made a huge blunder. It would do us some good to realize exactly WHERE we are in the grand scheme of things for DC.

I just wonder... all the guys who are SOOO offended by the new design - are you going to continue to be sourpuss's even after the cars come out? Will you whine for years to come on this board about how horrible the SRT is and how ugly it is? What about after people are running low-mid 11's, setting new records in the magazines, and winning awards, and setting sales records, etc... will you still say DC made a huge blunder and people should be fired? Or will you reach the inevitable conclusion that you're just whining because you don't like the new Viper, and get over it and either buy something else, or shut up?

Just curious
smile.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Or will you reach the inevitable conclusion that you're just whining because you don't like the new Viper, and get over it and either buy something else, or shut up?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most are complaining (I don't consider it whining) about the looks BECAUSE THEY WANT TO BUY A VIPER, that's right, the "whiners" want to purchase the car at some point in the future but WILL NOT due to the looks. That's the bottom line. So we're saying please DC give us a car we like because we want to buy a Viper, yes a Viper and only a Viper not some other car. I think the whining shows how enthusiastic and loyal people are to the Viper and parting ways is not what we want to do. Maybe it's silly to judge a car on looks rather than function? Ever heard of the Aztek? It's very functional, priced right, is just what that demographic wants except -&gt; IT'S BUTT UGLY AND NO BODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WILL BUY ONE!*

Anyway once the cars hit the street the complaints will stop as the inevitable reality sets in. This is what the car looks like and it's not going to change. At that point we will all be one happy family
smile.gif
but until then there is still hope
pissed.gif

<FONT size="-2">*please no flames from you Aztek enthusiasts, I know your minivan... err truck... I mean SUV... ahhhh whatever... never mind </FONT s>

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In reply to Mr. Brunton,

You are 100% correct; there is little point in complaining now. I do realize that they are not going to change the styling of the 2003 Viper. However, I would like to tell Dodge that most members of the Viper community don't like the "new" car they have given us. Hopefully all of this complaining will get through to Dodge and the next time they "redo" the Viper they will make a car that people will get excited about. I don't really understand the comments about the new Vipers "great" performance. It has little improvements here and there, but nothing that overshadows a very slightly modified GTS. The hardest part to modify on a car is its looks (IMHO); as long as it has a decent engine you can make it a beast. If you like the 2003 more power too you, but it's gonna look silly next to my GT-40
smile.gif
(just kidding with you).

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What irritates me is that so many people are buying these cars....via coupon, to try and make some money.

They think that since only a select few can buy them, they will use their coupon and make a couple of grand.

Now DC thinks that there is a huge demand for the new model. WRONG.

I bought my car because of it's radical looks and performance. If I wanted a fast daily driver, I could have bought a Z06.

We all said it looked "***". Now we know.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez...

I like the looks of the SRT-10 AND the looks of my '01 GTS!!!
Someone got a medical name for my condition???

No Flame Intended...Just Observation,
C "selected poser" Stegall