Off Of The Record!!!!!!!!

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to continue this topic, but I just want to know what to expect........

What is the chances of this so called theory that the '08 motor needs pistons for a mild 50-75 horse upgrade from exhaust and air intake? Is the ability to mod the '08 just as safe as the '06's or are the '08's truly tapped out without changing pistons? I ask because I know some motors in the past from other manufacturers were whined about under warranty, but in the real world, they held up to great increases in horsepower. Is this just BS or do I need pistons?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Jon B, Herb, Wizard, Woodhouse..........

Your personal insight, OFF THE RECORD OF COURSE, would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You!!!!!!!

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1) The SRT engineer said the stock pistons are fine with a mild HP upgrade ...the issue with headers is the ECU program.

2) Even with upgrades to get up to 600hp on the '03-'06 8.3L, the '08 8.4L is still a much better engine & drivetrain (higher redline, better clutch, better rear diff, etc.).

I think folks get WAY too caught up on peak HP numbers on dynos ...IMHO.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You will be fine for those types of modifications. The problem with Hyper Vs. Forged pistons is that of detonation, not actual power production.

The real issue here however lies in the engine management. That is where you will have problems, and that is also where Chrysler will say "pay up" if you show up with check engine lights, minor issues with the way the car runs, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery