OH, OH! COUPE!!??

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like reading "The Buzz". Read this: http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b021402.htm

You must be registered for see images

QUOTING:
"There are a few more new limited production models scheduled for launch in 2005. The most exiting will be the Viper SRT Coupe. The hardtop version of the Viper SRT Convertible, will be almost identical to the 2000 Viper GTSR concept (shown above).

Under the skin, the Viper coupe will be identical to the upcoming 2003 Viper SRT convertible. Featuring the redesigned V10, which has been bumped from 488 to 505 cu. in. and now puts out a whopping 500 horsepower and 500 lb.-ft. of torque and refined suspension and braking."

Can it be true? Got to believe it!

Lawboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont like the GTSR concept....it looks too much like a real race car versus a street sports car...also looks heavy and cumbersome...too long and i hate the wing! it looks like a hopped up supra to me. i like smooth clean lines....like the GTS....

ViperRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't like the GTS Coupe either. I also don't like sex, good food, making a lot of money, long exotic vacations, living in a beautiful home. I do like working Saturdays,paying income taxes,having the flu, getting kicked in the groin. Ah you get the point.

Lawboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he he that was funny! i know what you are saying but it just seems too cluttered and like it has lots of aftermarket plastic ground effects added to it....and i hate the wing!!! i dunno....maybe im wrong about it.....

ViperRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lawboy you are a good sport. Have you seen the coupe in person yet? I saw it in St. Louis and it is one awesome machine. I already ordered a 03 Silver even though I have not seen it yet. I do hope they make a few chances to it but I doubt if they will.

GTzViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it 2005 yet??? Rumors or not, I'll be impatiently waiting. I think the economy between now and then will play a big role on the VGX becoming a reality. Until then, rumors will do.
smile.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
STOP THE INSANITY!!
laugh.gif
I've just settled into the idea of keeping my GTS until I die, then being buried in it
death2.gif
Now your telling me I need to scrap my plans
redface.gif
2 1/2 years is a long time to wait for the new GTS though
frown.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MES,

Look on the bright side - you might not live for another 2.5 years!
laugh.gif

From what I know, the Comp. Coupe is not "most of the work for a production coupe done" - it has very little that can be used on the street. Not the chassis, not the body panels, etc.

I have also heard that even *if* they wanted to do a coupe, the amount of design and engineering required to make it would mean the earliest it could be done is for the 2006+ model year. We'll see... let's hope it's true!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ufo:
I don't like the GTS Coupe either. I also don't like sex, good food, making a lot of money, long exotic vacations, living in a beautiful home. I do like working Saturdays,paying income taxes,having the flu, getting kicked in the groin. Ah you get the point.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

UFO,my sentiments exactly, with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I love the 2000 GTSR Concept coupe too. I love the fact that it looks like a race car.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

Just repeating what I heard... DC is not Chrysler of 1992 - perhaps there are other processes in place that would prevent the kind of quick rollout the original Viper enjoyed? Also, bear in mind they are making this car more cost efficient to produce, which takes a lot of time. The original Viper was a mish-mash of parts from other cars and prototype manufacturing processes, this one is being designed to fix all the flaws in the original. The original Viper show car was probably way more than 75% production ready when it was at the show (they used many of the same parts and processes to produce the retail version as they did for the show car). The GTS/R concept and Comp. Coupe have very very little (uhh, only the interior from what I've heard) that could actually be used for a production car.

As for the SRT being "forced on us" - are you serious? You think the 1,500 people who snatched these cars up within days did so against their will or did so reluctantly? Might be a more profitable expenditure of thought and time to accept that a lot of folks like the SRT, even though a (very vocal) few hate it. Look on the bright side - you now have the GT-40 to fill the "old fashioned, big power" niche... the Viper is growing up!

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fully agree that DC is not the Chrysler of '92. But it wouldn't hurt DC to re-visit the philosophy of Chrysler '92, IMO. Specifically, in the Big 3 world, parity has never been healthy for Chrysler. Pretty much every time their product has been similar to that of their Big 3 competition, customers have elected to shop elsewhere.

It took Lido's K-car (the first widely-successful domestic econocar), the minivan (again a Big 3 first) and a niche product and styling philosophy (spawned by '92 Viper w/halo effect across Chrysler product line-up) to literally rescue the brand on three different occasions over the past twenty years.

For Chrysler to succeed into the future, history would suggest that they need (from an engineering, design or perception standpoint) a truly unique model and/or product line. Based on the current landscape, that would be Mercedes, IMO.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Tenney said...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
Mark, Just repeating what I heard... DC is not Chrysler of 1992...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So.... You admit to being one of the most blatant shills created by Schrempf?? And your right, I believe the Chrysler of 1992 and the out-of-the-box thinking that led to the Viper was the forerunner of Chryslers most profitable years. Compared to last year, how much red ink? 5 Billion?? So yes, DC is not the same company.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
the Viper is growing up! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But Mike, many of us are fighting off that inevitbility and don't want to be reminded of it by our cars becoming more "mature" and mainstream. We like the raw curves and styling of the current car. Ron's renditions of the Mid-Engine Viper prove you can design something radically different, yet true to the original concept.

This argument doesn't seem to change, I have avoided posting in this area because of that. I guess everyone just has to agree to disagree. However, You Mike, have a unique opportunity to sway me over to the SRT lovers group... As soon as you get yours I will fly to Peabody and drive the snot out of it, then I'll let you know if it was a good thing for you to support and buy!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4