Oil change problem

LarryJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my oil changed at the local Dodge dealer and I checked it the next day and the dipstick read between 1/4 and 1/2 inch past the end of the "safe" zone. How big of a deal is this?

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you saying that the oil level is over filled?

In general, this is not good. I have no specific experience with the viper, but if the level gets so full that the crank starts rotating in the oil, you get a "latte effect" with air bubbles in the oil, and the oil pump is not an air pump...

I would contact your dealer who did the oil change, or drain a little out yourself, just to be safe.

Then again, if someone has the specific info that could quantify how much over full you can go without harm, you may have alot of headroom left...I guess I would be back to calling the dealer who did the service!

Tomer

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LarryJ,
What year is your Viper? A few years take 8.5qts. the rest take 10qts.
92-95 > 10qts. w/filter
96-99 > 8.5qts. "
00-02 > 10qts. "

Get the oil to the right level!
eek.gif
yesnod.gif

OP
OP
L

LarryJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have a 99 RT, and yes I am thinking it was overfilled. The dipstick is reading to the F in Full which is well passed the "SAFE" zone. BTW what causes the difference in oil amounts for different year vipers.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another quality job performed by your local dodge dealer. Why am I not surprised?

More advice--Buy a shop manual, do your own work. The Viper is the worlds most wonderful car to work on.

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..When engine oil is drained are you draining 8.5L ..Obviously not,some oil is retained in the cooling core,...oil level should be checked after 7L or so,to avoid overfill. May be some body else can chime in,and let us know how you get all the oil drained out.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drain it into a CLEAN pan. Measure it and re-fill (don't waste it) with the proper quantity. Dipsticks have been known to lie!
Once you are sure...mark your dipstick!

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LarryJ, you may be near two quarts overfilled (dealer likely dropped in 10 qrts). Don't drive it and drain it out to level asap. A siphen air pump for liquids works great if you can grab a hold of one. Tomer is right about the bubbles and foaming. I overfilled my last 911 once before and the oil was literally foam when I drained it. Give that dealer hell.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang