oil change questions

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had 2 vipers 06 and now 09. I have always chaged the oil b4 i put it in storage. I have put 2k miles on my viper this summer and I checked the oil today, not low and still lite tan clear, like when they put it in. Is it necessary to chage the oil that soon?

Thanks for input.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been some debate on this very topic. I have always followed the owners manual which states to change the oil before storage.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Define storage...

I'm thinking it is unlikely my 08 will hit the main streets from the first snow until the last plus a few good salt removing rain storms. If a typical winter, I would assume from late December until April. 3 full months plus. However, I'm sure I'll run it up and down neighborhood streets a few times. Maybe even warn it up a few times outside, so that I can bring it into the garage to warm the place up. :smirk:

I guess my point is, I don't really call that storage. However, your winter could be a whole different ball game.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that this question was weighed in by the grailkeeper and he went to the SRT engineers who also said that you were fine to not change it. I have the same problem with 2 Vipers, a Vette and a Cobra. I really don't put the miles on them either due to rotation of use and just not long trips in them. I'm going to stick with every 2 yrs.--Dave

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is so much over changing of oil with car guys it is ridiculous. Good oil is vitally important but folks really over do it.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't afford to change the oil as cheap insurance maybe you should get rid of the Viper and get something else. GTS Bruce

Just because one has a Viper doesn't mean he/she should spend money unneccesarily. The topic has nothing to do with whether or not he can afford it.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that this question was weighed in by the grailkeeper and he went to the SRT engineers who also said that you were fine to not change it. I have the same problem with 2 Vipers, a Vette and a Cobra. I really don't put the miles on them either due to rotation of use and just not long trips in them. I'm going to stick with every 2 yrs.--Dave

Wish I had your problems!:)

I get it changed in the Spring. Leave it all winter, won't hurt nuffin! I start mine every few days, and its heated in there anyways so little to worry about.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would not be starting the car and letting it just sit and idle- unless your gonna run it down the sub street for 5 min, dont start it at all

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't afford to change the oil as cheap insurance maybe you should get rid of the Viper and get something else. GTS Bruce

I take it you change your trans, diff, clutch and brake fluid as cheap insurance as well?

Give the guy a break, the oil is fine and designed to not just break down from sitting.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put on about 3000 miles a year, change the oil every 12 months. Why not just change it before you store it. Used oil becomes acidic, why leave it sit, kill two birds with one stone.

OP
OP
S

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your input except GTS Bruce. It about the hassel of bring it to a dealer. I have the same issues with my benze and supercharged range rover. Maybe that answers your affordability questions GTS Bruce. I have always said if its not constructive keep it on the sidelines.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Remembered that this issue was discussed by Herb Helbig on page 17 of the May/June 2011 issue of the VCA magazine. In the Q&A section it was stated that if you put on 800 miles or so a year and the miles were such that the car was always completely warmed up and not track miles, that you could go 3 yrs between changes. Check out the mag. I agree with you SBMIANO that it's an issue of potential damage every time you let someone loose on your Viper, not an issue of money. I try to do all oil changes myself along with anything else I can tackle for the very reason that I don't want anybody messing with my toys.---Dave