oil consumption?

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:confused: what is average oil consumption for our cars? i have my ccv valve blocked and have the vents off of each valve cover going to a puke tank, which seems to be catching a fair share or oil. what can be done to stop the engine from "pushing" excessive oil? i do have the baffel "trap door kit" installed in my oil pan, which helped stablize my oil pressure under hard breaking. prior to installing that, my pressure would drop to 25-30lbs under hard breaking. all of my driving is spirited street driving.

any and all advice is much appriciated as always.

ryan

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:confused: what is average oil consumption for our cars? i have my ccv valve blocked and have the vents off of each valve cover going to a puke tank, which seems to be catching a fair share or oil. what can be done to stop the engine from "pushing" excessive oil? i do have the baffel "trap door kit" installed in my oil pan, which helped stablize my oil pressure under hard breaking. prior to installing that, my pressure would drop to 25-30lbs under hard breaking. all of my driving is spirited street driving.

ryan

Is your car a 2000????

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ryan

ANY car running 25llbs of oil pressure at idle and under braking doesn't need any repair or mods. Oil pressure changes with engine RPM until it gets to a high pressure and bypasses. I wouldn't be concerned if it dropped to 10 at idle. The pressure also changes with the type and weight of the oil. I wouldn't recommend disabling the PCV system on a street car and using just puke tanks. The tanks are more for a drag racing and short intervals. The vacuum, from PCV, in the crankcase will help prevent the "pushing" blowby the rings problem you are having. Don't know an average useage of oil. My doesn't burn any between 4000 mile oil changes with Mobil 1 10-30.:2tu:

OP
OP
G

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my car is a 2000. i am running mobile 1 15/50. during low pressure, below 20-25 the valve train noise seems a bit louder.....which can't be healthy. there is no knocking.....just the valve train noise....please keep suggestions comming. i have doe a search and read over many threads...did not fid one pertaining to only street driving with the ccv blocked running puke tanks, so here i await your suggestions.

thanks again

ryan

Last edited:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my car is a 2000. i am running mobile 1 15/50. during low pressure, below 20-25 the valve train noise seems a bit louder.....which can't be healthy. there is no knocking.....just the valve train noise....please keep suggestions comming. i have doe a search and read over many threads...did not fid one pertaining to only street driving with the ccv blocked running puke tanks, so here i await your suggestions.

thanks again

ryan

OK Ryan, I had a 2000 also, there was a problem with oil cosumption with the first 200 Vipers built for the 2000 model year. Look on you drivers side door jam (on the door) and there is a "born on" date, when your car was built. If it is before 11/99 it has a different cylinder liner which Dodge discontinued after they found the problem. My 2000 Viper lost a quart of oil every 175 miles. Dodge covered it but at that time they had to remove the motor and send it to Arrow in Mich. for a rebuild, it took 9 weeks. First things first, check the date!

OP
OP
G

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that was what i was reccomended by several members here to slow the oil movement in the pan under hard breaking....it has helped with the pressure drop on the gauge.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also use 15W50 here in sunny Az. where the asphalt temps can reach 150-160F during our "toasty" months.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ANY car running 25llbs of oil pressure at idle and under braking doesn't need any repair or mods. Oil pressure changes with engine RPM until it gets to a high pressure and bypasses. I wouldn't be concerned if it dropped to 10 at idle. The pressure also changes with the type and weight of the oil. I wouldn't recommend disabling the PCV system on a street car and using just puke tanks. The tanks are more for a drag racing and short intervals. The vacuum, from PCV, in the crankcase will help prevent the "pushing" blowby the rings problem you are having. Don't know an average useage of oil. My doesn't burn any between 4000 mile oil changes with Mobil 1 10-30.:2tu:

I wouldnt be so quick to say those things:

1. If a car with a normal cruise hot pressure of 40+ PSI suddenly drops to 25 PSI under braking, you can be DAMN sure that the pressure drops way, way, way below 25 pounds for a moment and surges back and forth every time you do that. The Viper gauges are dampened, so you wont actually see the split second drops to zero and spikes back when starvation occurs.

2. Oil Pressure is not neccesarily as important as deviations from what is normal for THAT car. A car that drops from 40 PSI hot idle to 10 PSI hot idle over 10 years is wearing. a car that drops to 10 PSI over night has a BIG problem.

3. A PCV system is nothing more than an emissions control system. With it installed, it will in fact pull MORE blow-by gasses through the rings due to the vacuum in the crank case. If he is ingesting oil through his rings, he is "pulling" oil into his cylinder during the intake stroke where there is a vaccum in the cylinder. The PCV will help this a little, but dont forget, the higher your revs or higher your MAP, the less the PCV system will do until it effictively does nothing, and you can expect this wont count for a whole lot in the real world. Also, the more crank case pressure that goes through the PCV system, the more oil vapor it will be throwing into the intake tract, effectively making it into the combustion chamber anyway. Running a standard breather system on a street car is just fine, and in fact much better in many cases due to the reduction in the amount of ingested oil through the intake tract, and its resulting buildup, hotspot causing and octane reducing properties.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 Manual says every 800 miles (could be track miles) you can burn "up to" 1 quart...roughly 10% of your oil...if you had a Gen 1

OP
OP
G

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
speaking of waht is normal for THAT car...i have a normal pressure when hot of between 40-50psi.....60psi under revs. under hard breaking just after an oil change i am about 35-40psi. after about 1000 miles i see about a 5-10psi drop in the breaking pressure. the idel pressure stays with in 2 or 3 psi for freshg oil. what is this to tell me. i am also loosing oil volume through the puke tank, but i don't think that is necessarly where all of the oil is going...asuming i might be burning a small ammount. i am not sure about how much is being burnt though. the reason i say this is often my air filter on the puke tank is saturated with oil from the vapors and sometimes dripping...tank not full, so it is not over flowing.

thanks
ryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi