oil experts...oil viscosity in the GTS

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have seen about 5 different oil viscosity variations recommended in the GTS. I still use the original 10w-30 Mobil 1 recommendation that it rolled out of the factory with. I also see that many are using 5w-30 and 0w-40 weight oil. Has anyone compared their uses in our cars? Also has anyone had a UOA done with a different viscosity?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 10W-30 has evolved considerably since is was first used in the 96 GTS...to the worse in my opinion. I have done dozens and dozens of used oil analyses (UOA's) on our Vipers as well as many other Vipers used on street and/or track.. The SUS Viscosity @ 210 degrees F was ALWAYS a little low with Mobil 1 10W-30...EVEN with ****** samples (VOA's) from new bottles !! Also, over time some additives have been reduced ...more so in the M1 10W-30 than in Mobil 1 15W-50 and 0W-40.

Here is a quote from an old but useful thread with some background. I wrote:

"A little clarification on OIL TYPE..NOT MEANT to provoke an argument or flame anyone:

Kai said: "0W-40 wasn't widely available when the 03 Viper came out. 10w-30 was the best there was at the time."

While DODGE dealers likely DID NOT stock Mobil 1 in the 0W-40 weight, it was INDEED QUITE AVAILABLE at Mercedes and Porsche dealers, (and some NAPA outlets around here by 2003). This oil has been in use in other cars since at least 2002 which is when I became interested in it and purchased MY first batch....initially called "European Car Formula" on the Mobil 1 container. For more history, see April 2002 issue of Porsche Panorama Mag.(citing a Nov.30, 2001 Porsche bulletin---and take note of the fact that Mobil 1 10W-30 WAS NOT RECOMMENDED for 1973 and later Porsche 4, 6, and 8 cylinder engines that would be operated in ambient temps above 86 deg F ).

Kai also said: "05 Vipers come with 0W-40, and DC recommends 0W-40 for the Viper now. The engine hasn't changed since 2004, the available oil has changed. " (NOTE that there were some bearing groove length changes in later Gen III's...and, as I recall, improvement in oil pickup at some point).

Here we need to be careful. As noted, certainly the 2005 comes with the Mobil 1 0W-40...BUT, I have seen NO WRITTEN information from Dodge that this oil IS to be substituted for the factory fill of Mobil 1 10W-30 in the 2003 NOR 2004. I follow this VERY CLOSELY...but, to see if I MISSED a recent update (TSB) from Dodge, I visited a Viper- friendly dealer and we used the Tech's computer link to D-C...and found NO RECOMMENDATIONS to change the grade of oil in the 2003 and 2004.

Admittedly, this may not seem like a major issue, but I feel that is is best to stick with DOCCUMENTABLE FACTS in a public forum when ADVISING OTHERS. An individual can choose to do whatever they want for their own reasons.

Indeed, it may very well be that Dodge might come out with a retroactive recommendation, but so far we have not been able to find one.

Kai, please post your written factory info source from "Dodge" and I will gladly (anfd HUMBLY)stand corrected.

As an aside, YES, I am considering switching our 2003 to Mobil 1 0W-40...at MY own risk and for MY own benefits.

Please also note that I am NOT qualified (nor stupid enough) to argue the fine points concerning break-in...just noting that since I no longer have any personal track interests, I just follow the factory recommendations to the letter...which has ALWAYS served me well if/when an engine issue arises....another risk/benefit ratio analysis !!!"

In my opinion, I would not use Mobil 1 10W-30 in Vipers at this point...especially not in a warm climate or with heavy usage such as track time. I have gradually switched our Gen I's, II's, III over to 0W-40...joining our Gen IV's. Admittedly, I am presently running Pennzoil SRT Ultra Platinum 0W-40 in our Gen V (so far).

Best of luck !!

OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen a lot of people using the 0w-40. My only concern is the viscosity at operating temp and if the 96-02 valvetrain/lower end was designed around a 30w vs 40w. Will the motor be properly lubed? At least my previous experiences with other high performance motors were that you could go thinner, not thicker as it would not have proper lubrication to the crank journals/main bearings if too thick.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte