Oil filter issues on SRT-10's

Immanuel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anybody have had a oil filter rubber gasket around the top of the filter fail? It happen to me once and blew oil out all on the road. The filter was tight and install properly. I am using a Fram Tough Guard filter. Just wanted to see if anyone else have had these problems..

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anybody have had a oil filter rubber gasket around the top of the filter fail? It happen to me once and blew oil out all on the road. The filter was tight and install properly. I am using a Fram Tough Guard filter. Just wanted to see if anyone else have had these problems..

Enough said times two. I haven't had this issue because I would never use a Fram oil filter on this vehicle. There have been several past threads on this topic including actual test results showing poor performance compared to other brands. In the future, go with the Mopar Viper specific filter (P/N 05037836AA for Gen. III Vipers) or the Mobil 1 M1-204.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree with Viper specific oil filters;

Gens I, II, and III all use the above mentioned Mopar 05037836AA

while the Gen IV uses Mopar 05038041AA.

As JonB always says "the year matters".

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Follow Steve-Indy's lead and get the Viper Specific filters. These are designed for the beast and should be used even in place of the old MoPar filter used for many years on Gen I thru IIIs. These filters were designed for the Viper by engineers/race engineers and are the best choice for your Snake.:drive:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nope, went from english to metric threads with a much different diameter to avoid mixups.

"The Year Matters"......tnx Steve...... as does the quality of the product.

Spending $12 on the BEST oil filter, vs $7 on a FRAM? "Priceless" Best extra $5 you'll spend.

In the early days of Viper we were blowing the seals on a few tracked Mopar filters, NOT made by Mobil. So TeamV went back to the drawing board with Mobil engineers who now build the Viper-Specific filters for Gen 4........ [they re-badge the Mobil-1 filters for 92-03.......]

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Please clarify Jon, as I was under the impression that Wix built the filters , as all the Comp Coupe guys were running the Wix filters for quite awhile. Is there a tie-in between Mobil and Wix ( no surprise if there is, but curious minds want to know )?

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have run both Wix and Mopar filter on my Comp Coupe with zero problems for the past 4 years.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Please clarify Jon, as I was under the impression that Wix built the filters , as all the Comp Coupe guys were running the Wix filters for quite awhile. Is there a tie-in between Mobil and Wix ( no surprise if there is, but curious minds want to know )?

These days, everybody seems to re-badge or contract out everything. But I dont know if Wix and Mobil are (currently or past) intertwined. And frankly i dont care. I do know that WIX makes/made MANY of the filters badged as Mopar, and some internet consumer tests a few years back clearly confirmed this (and the inferior quality vis-a-vis M-1 and NAPA Gold in that 24-filter study)

Mobil One gave all VOI-9 attendees a free MoPar M1 oil filter, and the tech sessions there covered the fact that the NEW MopPar VIPER-specific filters would be re-badged Mobil One filters.

I then became concerned when I ordered a case, and found them each to be LIGHTER WEIGHT, and made in Poland (not USA) vs the M1s on my shelf. I later questioned the Gen 4 SRT Engine Guy, who quickly explained that while the heavier M1 cases "appeared" to be more substantial [to my pea-brain,] they were more prone to rupture due in fact to the thicker metal was less maleable at its seams. So M1 is having them made overseas, and more rupture-restant.

Thats all I have, glad to share....... the end result is you gotta spend $12 for a filter for a VIPER, from Tator, Woodhouse, Cragin, etc. or PartsRack please.

These tips and hints are NOT free.......Viper Vendors need your biz to keep spewing these tidbits

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting, as the engineers told me they were Wix filters, so apparently there is a tie in. No big deal, just a little tid-bit of interesting data. There are different Wix filters and not so sure the Napa Gold is not also done by them, if I remember right.

Nuff said , but the end result is like many of the posts have stated --- stick with what was designed for the car through racing, and support a sponsor vendor as Jon stated.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition to all the filter quality posts, a bad oil pump can also blow filters. I believe it will usually repeat the failure if it is the oil pump, at least mine did (not on a Viper).

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Also, since no one else mentioned it - make sure that the old gasket does not stick to the block, doubling up the gasket will also cause a similar issue.