Oil in intake manifold

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 03 with 31k and no mods other than a K&N intake the first owner installed. I am installing some new plugwires and working on removing the intake manifold. I haven't gotten it off yet, but I noticed a fair amount of oil residue behind the throttle body. How big of a deal is this, and what can I do to keep it from happening?

(The searches I have done seem to point toward a catch can, breathers, or seperators. I just didn't find any solid answers so I am asking for help.)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
u got the answers, dont worry about it- its normal= if your running the holy crap out of it,put in a catch can,if not,leave it alone

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks. If I am going to do it, I want to use a breather tank. Does anyone know of a specific tank I should look at? There are a million online.

V

Venomiss

These questions might be good to ask the SRT Engineers who will be online tomorrow night June 21, 2011 from 5:00-7:00 PM Eastern Daylight time.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a provent 200 on my GT, seems to work fine. Haven't found any need for it on my Viper.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC Performance sells an air/oil separator that is smog legal (since it doesn't vent to atmosphere) I have it on my ACR. As has been posted several times on this site oil has an octane rating of about 50. Mix it with 91+ octane and what do you get? Less. Lower octane can cause detonation and then other really bad things. I've spoken to an engineer about this and the oil gets into the intake on hard decel (i.e. braking) when the oil in the valve covers sloshes forward and makes its way into the take up air line (the one connected between your passenger side valve cover and the air box where the air filter is). The oil is then sucked into the intake. A little oil won't hurt much but a lot is bad. Buy the DC Performance unit or something else to be safe. Cheap insurance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi