Oil leak with pictures

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil change time, normally do as much of an inspection around the engine/undercarriage as possible. I found two things, oil leak and the source of my irritating exhaust leak. From the looks of the oil in the following pictures should I be concerned. This is the rear of the head on the passenger side bottom bolt, 96 GTS 37k miles.

You must be registered for see images

And the source of the exhaust leak, directly above the starter.

Thanks,

Chris

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is fairly common. The oil leak is from the valve cover gasket. The exhaust manifold bolts do at times loosen up. Replace the gasket with the later metal type (1999-2002).

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris. Three questions:

1) What the milage?
2) Last 6 digits of VIN? Is it 200410?
3) MDH of build, located on the left bottom of VIN.

Thanks,

Rev

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is fairly common. The oil leak is from the valve cover gasket. The exhaust manifold bolts do at times loosen up. Replace the gasket with the later metal type (1999-2002).

Thanks Dan,

I wont worry about it.

Chris. Three questions:

1) What the milage?
2) Last 6 digits of VIN? Is it 200410?
3) MDH of build, located on the left bottom of VIN.

Thanks,

Rev

Chris,

You already have mine on file.

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup...see that on most gen 1's and gen 2's out there...had it on mine...just check them every oil change...

Unfortunately on mine this isn't the issue. The head below the valve cover is dry. I poked around and it appears there is oil under the intake runner above the #10 cylinder. I havent dug into it yet but oil is pooling on the lip around the bottom of the head and running around the backside.

I had to remove my intake sometime back to change the Tstat. Could oil be leaking from the intake around that gasket. I understand that this would mean I'm getting a decent amount of oil through my PCV which would lead to another question, catch can or new PCV valve?

Thanks,

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no oil passages through the intake so how would an intake leak result in an oil leak? And if you did have a PCV problem that was making it to the intake gasket area (if indeed it was leaking) explain the path there? How would the crankcase oil vapor leak out the leaking gasket as opposed to being sucked into the cylinder like it should? Also, if you had an intake leak you'd have a cylinder running lean and likely a plug reading to maybe look at?

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no oil passages through the intake so how would an intake leak result in an oil leak? And if you did have a PCV problem that was making it to the intake gasket area (if indeed it was leaking) explain the path there? How would the crankcase oil vapor leak out the leaking gasket as opposed to being sucked into the cylinder like it should? Also, if you had an intake leak you'd have a cylinder running lean and likely a plug reading to maybe look at?

K before I start Im not debating just pulling things out of my ass.

I thought I recall someone mention that oil over time can pool in the intake runners of the manifold, maybe pitching their catch cans. The passage for oil would be via the PCV system into the intake. That is via the valve covers into the rubber hose past the PCV and into the air intake. Rather than completely being deposited into the cylinder and burning off pooling in the intake runner and seeping through the gasket. This would lead to an intake leak as well and several other problems as you've pointed out. I have yet to pull the windshield cal so that I can see down behind the intake so I'm not positive that is where the oil is coming from. In front of that runner,directly below and behind are all covered in oil. The valve cover is dry all the way around and there are not other visual traces of oil on the top of the motor.

This is based on someone not getting a good torque and seal on the intake when they replaced it, that sorry SOB. Obviously I'm not a mechanic and I did sleep good last night after some heavy medication so I'm positive I lost some brain matter.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha. You're running on 3 cylinders right now ;)

I agree that oil could over time accumulate in the intake. When I pulled mine off to do the stat there was residue in there. But that's a lot of oil to start "pooling" somewhere, just from the PCV and from 1 cylinder's intake runner.

I'd do some more adult drugs tonight and wrastle with this when the wife is on duty ;)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha. You're running on 3 cylinders right now ;)

I agree that oil could over time accumulate in the intake. When I pulled mine off to do the stat there was residue in there. But that's a lot of oil to start "pooling" somewhere, just from the PCV and from 1 cylinder's intake runner.

I'd do some more adult drugs tonight and wrastle with this when the wife is on duty ;)

BigBrakeDave's oil catch can kit captures the CCV valve in addition to the valve covers. Like Dave, I found oil in my intake runners when I removed the intake at 8K miles to install a lower t-stat. Since the valve covers dump into the airbox and there's some kind of sponge thingy that seems to absorb or at least ease the oil going into the intake I can't help but believe this much oil must be coming from the CCV line since the line is bigger and a direct shot into the intake. However, I can't imagine that much oil being dumped by the CCV causing an oil leak...if so, there must be something wrong with the CCV system. That would be a LOT of oil being puked into the intake.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BigBrakeDave's oil catch can kit captures the CCV valve in addition to the valve covers. Like Dave, I found oil in my intake runners when I removed the intake at 8K miles to install a lower t-stat. Since the valve covers dump into the airbox and there's some kind of sponge thingy that seems to absorb or at least ease the oil going into the intake I can't help but believe this much oil must be coming from the CCV line since the line is bigger and a direct shot into the intake. However, I can't imagine that much oil being dumped by the CCV causing an oil leak...if so, there must be something wrong with the CCV system. That would be a LOT of oil being puked into the intake.

I had a similar situation due to a loose fitting hose at the pcv valve.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar situation due to a loose fitting hose at the pcv valve.

I can see that. In fact, I found a fair amount of oil residue around that PCV or is it a CCV coming out of the block. Not enough to leak around the block but noticeable.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But isn't that grommet up at the front and his pool of oil is at the back? I think we need to keep our focus on head gaskets here so Chris can get out of the changing room and back out in the shop working on cars. ;)

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill get the cowl off tonight and see if I can get a better look. I had the same issue in which the grommet on the top of the block was leaking oil into the triangle shape recess behind it. This was enough to almost fill one of those up. I managed to get it re seated and it occasionally leaks oil. This oil cant make it to the back of the heads and stay contained up front. My tubing for the PCV system has never really been snug. The T that connects the two hard pipes had to be clamped in place since it was just sliding around.

Ok just found my old pics from when I pulled the intake. This is the same place the oil is located now and this area was cleaned prior to replacing the gasket/intake.

You must be registered for see images attach

Intake pictures by sirhc76 - Photobucket

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude... In a perfect world that's a huge leak. But if after a handful of miles, several of which were chasing a red GTS with white hood vents down I35, I'd clean it up and mosey on. Just make sure you torque the intake properly using new gaskets and do the valve covers too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte