Oil Pan Baffle Modification

Ratrod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm a "long time listener, first time caller", I figured i'd finally contribute...

I'm upgrading my oil system on my 97 GTS in preperation for more track use. Swapping in the 2000+ oil pan and windage tray. I also bought the baffles.

The directions explain that some mods may be required. I thought i'd post what i had to do to save others some head scratching.

attachment.php

In this picture you can see where i had to cut notches on the top of the swinging baffle plate, only on the rear baffle. This was necessary because these top corners were 'crashing' with the casted pan bosses. I circled the areas that it was crashing below.

attachment.php

When comparing the front and rear baffles, you can see that the rear swinging baffle plate is welded higher up on the hinge. This causes an 'over-center' effect, where the top of the plate gets closer to the casting bosses as it swings open. The front plate is welded such that the top of the plate is below the pivot axis. In this case the top of the plate will only swing away from the casting bosses and never cause a crash issue.

attachment.php

I'm sure this was done to accomodate the different boss casting heights while using the same parts for the front and rear baffles. They just welded them at different heights to save costs.

I also had to modify the bottom of the front baffle to clear the screws over the oil drain screen. I've seen that detailed in another link, so i'll spare you the details.

Attachments

• Oil Baffle1.JPG
    Oil Baffle1.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 84
  • Oil Baffle2.JPG
    Oil Baffle2.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Oil Baffle3.JPG
    Oil Baffle3.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 79

Latest posts

Forum statistics