Oil Pressure test access points?

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I trying to confirm if I have a bad oil sensor and am looking for a place to hook up my oil pressure test gauge. I know I can remove the sensor and connect there...but it is in a real tight place to remove the sensor and was looking for an easier access point to test with the test gauge. Thanks..

OP
OP
rhallman

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im looking for an easy access point to install a test oil pressure gauge to verify if I have a gauge / sensor issue or a issue with an oil pump. Thanks...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are two 3/8" pipe plugs on the top of the block between the heads, under the front of the manifold/throttle body. Either will work. Be careful not to get any teflon tape, sealant, or debris in there.

What pressure are you seeing that is making you cautious?

OP
OP
rhallman

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked for those access points and wasn’t able to see how easily I could get to them. Prior to this morning I noticed that when cold the oil pressure was at 50 when normally it would be at 75. When warm would be around at 40 or so at idle...50 at 2500 rpm or so.

This morning it started at just below 50 when cold and slowly creeped up to 100. At idle after it was warm it was just above 75. I really think this is an oil sensor. I did the self test for the gauges and it worked fine, so I think the gauge is ok. I also confirmed oil is fine as well. Thanks..

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
To access you would need a 3/8 pipe 90* elbow, and then a 3/8 to 1/8 or 1/4 reducer for the gauge... unless you have a 3/8 gauge.

Your issues sounds like a sensor, or sensor wiring, yes. Failing oil systems rarely return to 100psi, haha.