Old Men Seem to Own Vipers, Why???

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't always an old fart with a Viper, I have just grown into one. My first Viper was in 98 or 99 and now 5 Vipers later I am 52. So I started in my late 30's when I was still cool but now I am just and old man with a Viper.

Oh well it beats the alternatives.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was younger the girls used to call me a dirty old man. :mad:I used to get very upset. But now that I am old enough it is ok.:lmao:

Maybe a little old time humor will help this thread.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I avoided reading this thread. Now I have. I will now avoid it again. My IQ just dropped 2 points and now have to sell my Viper cause I am to old to own one plus I am not interesting enough. Crap and I am only in my late 40's.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the VCA you fool! If there was ever an incendiary thread created on this site in it's entire history designed to enrage the core constituency....it's this one. Kiiiilllllll hiiiimmmmm!!!!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Old Men Seem to Own Vipers, Why???

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bobpantax
Ah. How old is your Dad? I assume that you respect him and that you can communicate with him. Perhaps, you are inadvertantly showing hostility and disrespect and the stuffiness you feel is really them standing off from you. Time does not stand still. Some day you will stand in the same place on the life continuum as the "old men" that you refer to in your post above.

Most of them have married; had their children born and grown into young adulthood; seen and felt the death of friends; perhaps been to war; formed their own business or attained sufficient success to buy a Viper; and witnessed many years of reality that occurred before you were born. I think that if you think about it a bit more, you will realize that people older than you are living time machines who can, when respected and properly prompted, teach you many things about what was and, based on what was, what might be.

ferraritoviper: Thoughtful reply Bob!! I'm sure it will go over many heads, as it just makes too much sense :cool:

Thank you ferraritoviper.​

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm about to turn 50, and I know and hang with Vipers peeps (and other car guys: Fcars, Pcars, Vettes, Lotus) from 20s to much older than me. We have a lot to talk about, and much in common. Other comments are correct though, Vipers are expensive cars, even uses, and an older demographic tends to have more disposable income.

OP
OP
S

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Lord! I was simply making an observation about all the old guys who drive around in their Vipers and was asking a simple question. I think it is a bit odd but the disposable income with no kids makes sense. When I went to a VCA local event it was as if I was at an Elks club gathering. I also said I had nothing against old men so calm the F down! Some people prefer to socialize with people their age and not old men 20-30 years older than them. This does not mean that old Viper guys are bad people LOL! It cracks me up when you old guys take things to extremes and twist and manipulate posts. Anyway, its nice to have a thread where the older crowd can vent. :)

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper event or not its up to each person any social event to find common interests with other attendees.. regardless of age. Being at a Viper specific event you already have the "ice breaker" so its easy. Theres always someone older and younger than me, its up to me to be the well rounded extrovert. A car club where the cheapest of the cars starts around 30g's isn't going to have a large contingent of the younger demographic. In viper owner circles I am the "poor guy" financially speaking, but owning a Viper at any age is a privilege, and I am fortunate to have one. I have made many friends just from meeting fellow viper owners at events and I dont care how old any of them are.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were you a contributor to High Plains Raceway? Just curious.

Good Lord! I was simply making an observation about all the old guys who drive around in their Vipers and was asking a simple question. I think it is a bit odd but the disposable income with no kids makes sense. When I went to a VCA local event it was as if I was at an Elks club gathering. I also said I had nothing against old men so calm the F down! Some people prefer to socialize with people their age and not old men 20-30 years older than them. This does not mean that old Viper guys are bad people LOL! It cracks me up when you old guys take things to extremes and twist and manipulate posts. Anyway, its nice to have a thread where the older crowd can vent. :)

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was 26 when I bought my first one 8 years ago. I was the youngest owner at all the club events, by 20 years. Now I'm still probably one of the youngest 3 dudes in my area. I just sold my RT10 to a 28 year old, so now they are getting cheap enough for the Gen X'ers and Gen Y's to own.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are only 2 kinds of people in this world. Old people and people who hope to be old. Consider the alternative:dunno:

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, I've met a lot of Viper owners in the NJ/NY/CT area and I'd say that about 2/3 of them were in their 30's-40's. All of them are great guys regardless of their age.

Secondly, I'm 34, and have never had problems talking to any age group, however old or young they are. Be a little adaptable and open to meeting people outside your comfort zone and you might be pleasantly surprised. And if you still can't relate to the "old men" in your local Viper Club, then buy some Japanese tuner car and join that club filled with teenagers and 20-something's.

OP
OP
S

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been to Porsche club events and it does seem that the average age of Porsche owners is quite a bit younger than Viper club members. What gives?:dunno: Yes, the old man thing does seem to carry over to the Corvette too...great observation!

Last edited:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe there's a factor involved where the half-life of younger Viper owners is rather short... I was a younger guy when I got my first Viper back in '97, and it scared the crap out of me lots of times - that car had nine lives. Or, maybe the Viper owners who are younger just don't have time to go to the events that you went to - the economy does kind of ****, and I know a lot of people who are putting a lot of focus into their jobs so that they can dig themselves out of the mess that they got into over the past recessionary period. Just pondering some ideas - I don't think going to a few regional events is a large enough data sample to form any conclusions.

Look at it this way - the older guys in the club are generally the ones that might get you into the next big opportunity that might benefit you and your career. You just never know who you might meet, and most of the older guys learned that effective networking is key to success and they're happy to help promising talent that are "good people."

gtssnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car guys love cars from childhood till death. Who cares how old someone is, if you are lucky you will get older too.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of young guys grew up thinking American cars are junk (80s-90s)...also, there is a bunch of people who think a pushrod engine is old tech. Most of the guys who are older remember when import cars were rust buckets and underpowered, and have no problem looking at the Viper.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just shut up and come out to High Plains and see if you can beat the 'old man' around the track! If not, you have something to talk about...how to drive a Viper. ;)

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been to Porsche club events and it does seem that the average age of Porsche owners is quite a bit younger than Viper club members. What gives?:dunno: Yes, the old man thing does seem to carry over to the Corvette too...great observation!
If you are a young guy the Porsche makes sense, you can still have your sports car but there is that extra seat for the Baby chair or small child ;) The Porsche also fits with the young executive life style, the Corvette or Viper would make the wrong sort of statement IMO.

DStJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG, I just looked in the mirror and the cryptkeeper is driving my Viper!
I bought my Viper the end of June and joined the VCA right away. I didn't make the 4th of July event, but I made the next two. The group I met from Colorado were anything but stuffy and unfriendly. I have never had so much fun as I have with the Colorado Viper club. I hope I can make the event this weekend, it's suppose to be a costume party, maybe I'll go as the cryptkeeper!

slowhatch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah. How old is your Dad? I assume that you respect him and that you can communicate with him. Perhaps, you are inadvertantly showing hostility and disrespect and the stuffiness you feel is really them standing off from you. Time does not stand still. Some day you will stand in the same place on the life continuum as the "old men" that you refer to in your post above.

Most of them have married; had their children born and grown into young adulthood; seen and felt the death of friends; perhaps been to war; formed their own business or attained sufficient success to buy a Viper; and witnessed many years of reality that occurred before you were born. I think that if you think about it a bit more, you will realize that people older than you are living time machines who can, when respected and properly prompted, teach you many things about what was and, based on what was, what might be.

Came here to post this.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe you guys fall for these trolls and try to answer them like it's a real post. lol

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The truth is the older you get the more HP you need to go fast! If you fall into this category at an earlier age, then your skills are depleting faster than most! :)

OP
OP
S

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old people are cool! I'm going to ask them to tell me some cool old stories at the next viper event. I'm thinking they will beat me around the race track too because old people drive crazy fast and have lightning quick reflexes. There, is everyone happy now?:smirk:

Last edited:

fastrs2.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobpantax:3224160 said:

This right here is one of the reasons I go out to viper meets. The crowd is substantially older than me but I consider it opportunity to learn from, what are more often than not, some very successful people. I have always found that mouth shut, ears open approach teaches you a lot. My viper has introduced me to alot of people I would have never met and a lot of people that are good know.

DStJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old people are cool! I'm going to ask them to tell me some cool old stories at the next viper event. I'm thinking they will beat me around the race track too because old people drive crazy fast and have lightning quick reflexes. There, is everyone happy now?:smirk:

Remember, old age and treachery will always win out over youth and enthusiasm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper