Ometer 8243 Factory Fit NAV/DVD Replacement Stereo Headunit.

iownedu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of it installed in various menu's.

You must be registered for see images attach

I did not have to cut any wires or trim the dash at all, perfect fit.

There was only a couple small minor issues, which I was aware of from reading other threads on this. There is no cutting and soldering of wires necessary however. I had this unit installed completely from start to finish in about 1 hour.

On the harness they supply there is a blue wire with a pin crimped on the end of it, this is the amplifier turn-on. This needs to be inserted into the harness end in the correct position which is the slot right next to the thicker yellow wire. In the pic I have below you will see it pushed into the connector exactly where it needs to go.

The only other thing you need to do is swap the purple speaker wires around on the same plug, they are out of phase and will make the sub not work. Swap them and voila, sub and all speakers work perfect. You do this by inserting a paper clip into it like I have pictured below, push it in while pulling the wire out of the back of the plug. In the pic above I have already corrected it. Purple +, Purple -, Green -. Green + from left to right in the picture.

As for the GPS antenna I fed that up through the opening above the radio and below the dash vents as shown here.

Then I simply used its built-in magnet and stuck in on top of the unit.

You must be registered for see images

Everything works, GPS works, reads music off an SD card, makes bluetooth calls with a built-in mic, streams music over bluetooth, plays DVD's etc.

It comes with an iPOD cable that hooks to the back of the unit, Ive never understood the ipod hoopla but if you like it. I'd rather wirelessly stream music over bluetooth myself.

You can get a backup camera from them as well if you want. The unit also has rca input and outputs on the back if you choose to hook up an aftermarket amp.

It sounds better than ever, I have Kicker KS600 in the doors and a Kicker CVT650 in the factory sub box with the port plugged. The sound is awesome now, get real loud and no distortion.

There is no need to hook up the parking brake ground wire, you can shut that off in the factory menu of the unit. The password to get into mine was 000000. Mine was already set to not use the parking brake wire though.

I bought this from Ometer on www.alibaba.com for $417 total with escrow fees. It took about ten days to receive.

If you have any questions, ask away.

Last edited:

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like your updated model has nicer interfaces than mine. Glad you got the glitches sorted out through my posts. The out of phase issue was a pain to figure out, but easily corrected.

Good luck!

OP
OP
I

iownedu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like your updated model has nicer interfaces than mine. Glad you got the glitches sorted out through my posts. The out of phase issue was a pain to figure out, but easily corrected.

Good luck!

Yep being aware of the out of phase on the one rear speaker made it a breeze!

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what company actually manufactures this radio? Did you have to cut the inner dash support on your install? It does not look like you had to trim it? I looked on the site you reference and could not find this radio.......

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep being aware of the out of phase on the one rear speaker made it a breeze!

Not sure if you noticed, but both the front and rear speakers had 1 side out of phase. That was the case on mine anyhow.

So what company actually manufactures this radio? Did you have to cut the inner dash support on your install? It does not look like you had to trim it? I looked on the site you reference and could not find this radio.......

Heh, it's a white box special. No real brand name, they're a mass produced setup from Asia. I'd have supported a mainstream company if they offered a solution. I did have to cut the inner dash support, it took all of 2 minutes with my Fein Multi-tool and looks no different. You really just trim about 1/8" off the plastic surround inside the dash.

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
appears to also be produced as "Hasda H-988" (you can search on alibaba), with few versions out there, latest one looking exactly like your pictures.

"Hasda - the spread of passion at the moment" (this is from their website, I'm serious).

Maybe one of the Viper community vendors can get a small order shipped here and distributed out? I am sure there would be enough interest.

OP
OP
I

iownedu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure if they changed the tolerances since I bought mine a few months ago, but mine looks identical to yours and did not fit without adjustment.

Yeah this is the newest model with the stainless back and built-in RCA connectors versus the RCA harness. It was a snug fit but did go in with just a little effort and lined up perfect.

Here is where I got it from, offered them 400 shipped and they accepted it.

Aliexpress

OP
OP
I

iownedu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did it show $550 when you bought it? How did you make them an offer?

Email them, they will be able to send you a link to order where you put in the offer price. I know there are some other ones on there, but to ensure you get the latest model (same as mine) order it from Ometer.

Last edited:

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bought a newer model with the rca inputs. like venom said i had to trim a little of the support bracket and yes both the upper and lower speaker wires were out of phase. the dodge is +--+ on the top and bottom, the unit came with -+-+ on the harness they supplied.

very happy with it. i would pay more for one from a name brand company as well just for the support. but very happy with the unit.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bought a newer model with the rca inputs. like venom said i had to trim a little of the support bracket and yes both the upper and lower speaker wires were out of phase. the dodge is +--+ on the top and bottom, the unit came with -+-+ on the harness they supplied.

very happy with it. i would pay more for one from a name brand company as well just for the support. but very happy with the unit.

Yep, that's the same wiring convention my original came with. You have no idea how big of a pain in the ass it was to figure it out the first time! Took me an hour of plugging in the old one to make sure I didn't blow out the amp, and then the "oh ****" moment.

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
only have two complaints, 1st the blue tooth, the new unit does not have a jack for an external mic. wouldnt bother me but the built in mic sounds like i am in a tunnel. old unit came with an external mic and it sounded better. also the unit does not remember my phone. once i shut the unit off i have to resync the phone to the unit every time i get into the car. it should automatically sync with the phone every time it is turned on and the phone comes in range. like every other blue tooth.

second is the mp3 player for the SD card. it plays the songs alphabetically by artist/alblum/then song. no option to randomize the play list....like every other mp3 player. only way to get another option is go into the SD card after you download the songs and rename the artists and alblums to the same name, then it will atleast play the songs in alpha order and you do not have to listen to every song on every album by a particular artist before you can get a little variety. it is very basic.

gps works great once you get it set up. new radio interface is good. the nre unit is certainly better than the old one, but still needs some softwear work IMO.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
only have two complaints, 1st the blue tooth, the new unit does not have a jack for an external mic. wouldnt bother me but the built in mic sounds like i am in a tunnel. old unit came with an external mic and it sounded better. also the unit does not remember my phone. once i shut the unit off i have to resync the phone to the unit every time i get into the car. it should automatically sync with the phone every time it is turned on and the phone comes in range. like every other blue tooth.

second is the mp3 player for the SD card. it plays the songs alphabetically by artist/alblum/then song. no option to randomize the play list....like every other mp3 player. only way to get another option is go into the SD card after you download the songs and rename the artists and alblums to the same name, then it will atleast play the songs in alpha order and you do not have to listen to every song on every album by a particular artist before you can get a little variety. it is very basic.

gps works great once you get it set up. new radio interface is good. the nre unit is certainly better than the old one, but still needs some softwear work IMO.

Still an iGo Primo based GPS? My viewpoint was that and the Bluetooth were the best aspects of the system. Made it well worth the swap for me.

OP
OP
I

iownedu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes mine is running iGo GPS software. Searching and routes seem to work well. Like Rosco said you do have to go into your phones Bluetooth settings and reconnect everytime you get it the car though. Your phone will have it saved in there as a prior connection so its not too bad but auto-connecting would be nice.

Just the capability to stream music off my phone via Bluetooth is worth the 415 bucks for me.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have to do any of the port settings like Carlo had to do with his unit? I have a counter-offer of $405 with shipping.......

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gps was no big deal once you find the settings menu. took a while for me to figure out the little arrow in the bottom if the settings screen led to more settings.....
disable the gps, set everything to auto and press the button. no biggie. gps works just fine.

found a widget for my andriod phone so all i have to do is press one button now on the phone once the stereo is turned on, but it SHOULD be automatic.

spent the better part of an hour moving all the songs on my SD card to one folder, deleting the rest, then renaming the songs to get rid of the artist. why? now it plays them in alpha order according to song name so i do not have to listen to everything from one artist before i get something different. poor mans shuffel. unit should have that option as part of the softwear imo,

love the stereo, would be happy with an external mic. i seriously doubt they had our noisy **** cars in mind when they decided the built in mic would work well. fits great, looks great, sounds great. i drive around with the map screen on sometimes just because i can. this is what a 100k car SHOULD come with. an 8 inch woofer would be nice too.,

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been talking to them, do you guys know anything about this:

but our OMT-8243 can work well completely only in chrysler car without original amplifier / without Canbus . Because your car is with original amplifier and Canbus , if you install our DVD , maybe it will cause sound problem or steering wheel problem . However , the problem can be solved by changing cable .

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been talking to them, do you guys know anything about this:

but our OMT-8243 can work well completely only in chrysler car without original amplifier / without Canbus . Because your car is with original amplifier and Canbus , if you install our DVD , maybe it will cause sound problem or steering wheel problem . However , the problem can be solved by changing cable .

The car is not a CANBUS car, and uses speaker level outputs for the amplifier. Neither is applicable.

Their tech help won't get you any help unless you want to return it.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great thread! General idea of what this would cost to have a non-audiophile like myself have this installed?

You wouldn't have to be an audiophile to install something like this...you just have to be able to read a basic wiring harness diagram, and these guys have already gone through the trouble of showing what needs to be fixed for this application (which is just switching a couple pins around). This is something that pretty much anyone could do, you just have to dive in. If you were closer, I'd help you just to show you how easy it is.

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You wouldn't have to be an audiophile to install something like this...you just have to be able to read a basic wiring harness diagram, and these guys have already gone through the trouble of showing what needs to be fixed for this application (which is just switching a couple pins around). This is something that pretty much anyone could do, you just have to dive in. If you were closer, I'd help you just to show you how easy it is.

Great, thanks for the offer...However, there is no way I will be doing anything electrical in the ol' Vipe...Heck, at this point in my life I am almost tempted to hire someone to change my drawers and lightbulbs. :smirk:

See you at VOI!?

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
forget about service. you are on your own.

the viper has an older version of CAN. the radio is part of that system in so far as the factory radio recieves a 5v signal from the computer to identify the factory unit and decide if it should let it work or not. in short it is just a system that will force you to go to the delaership if you want to install a different factory radio to program the computer to accept it.

aftermarket radios do not have this "feature", like the heat shields on the spark plugs "feature" that requires a "chrysler only" spark plug socket. any of them will work just fine.

reguardless of its short commings, this is the ONLY aftermarket radio on the planet that will look like a factory radio and give us the "features" we want imperfect or not. it took 24 to 48 hours to get a response from their service department on anything. and even then they only responded to questions they could easily answer. more than a few went without any response at all. fairly confident they would take a damaged or non working radio back, but short of that, it is "as-is". wont be able to get parts, not gonna get any softwear or firm wear updates.

about maps, if you get a map upgrade or go with something other than IGO8, you will have to rename the .exe file to "igo8.exe" to get it to work. the radio will not accept any other path even though they have a "feature" in the settings menue to select the navigation softwear path. not a biggie but will put off some non techi types, kind of like my poor mans shuffel.

it is what it is. a bently with two flat tires and a hand crank for a starter. still better than the factory radio.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
forget about service. you are on your own.

the viper has an older version of CAN. the radio is part of that system in so far as the factory radio recieves a 5v signal from the computer to identify the factory unit and decide if it should let it work or not. in short it is just a system that will force you to go to the delaership if you want to install a different factory radio to program the computer to accept it.

aftermarket radios do not have this "feature", like the heat shields on the spark plugs "feature" that requires a "chrysler only" spark plug socket. any of them will work just fine.

reguardless of its short commings, this is the ONLY aftermarket radio on the planet that will look like a factory radio and give us the "features" we want imperfect or not. it took 24 to 48 hours to get a response from their service department on anything. and even then they only responded to questions they could easily answer. more than a few went without any response at all. fairly confident they would take a damaged or non working radio back, but short of that, it is "as-is". wont be able to get parts, not gonna get any softwear or firm wear updates.

about maps, if you get a map upgrade or go with something other than IGO8, you will have to rename the .exe file to "igo8.exe" to get it to work. the radio will not accept any other path even though they have a "feature" in the settings menue to select the navigation softwear path. not a biggie but will put off some non techi types, kind of like my poor mans shuffel.

it is what it is. a bently with two flat tires and a hand crank for a starter. still better than the factory radio.

You have iGo 8? I have iGo Primo 2.

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
VicTxV10 - I ordered one from SundayBuy.com Type "Viper" in the search and the stereo will pop up. Will post my install steps when it gets here.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the links on where to purchase. I have the factory nav unit currently in my 08. Can I use the factory installed GPS antenna or do I need to use the one supplied?