Ometer 8243 Factory Fit NAV/DVD Replacement Stereo Headunit.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will post the link where I got mine when I return home tonight....very quick shipping!

The moderators don't allow external links to non-supporting vendors, so you might have to point it out creatively. I.E.: Mention where to search and what to search for.

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Released from Customs, and on a Sunday! Hopefully see it this week. Anyone placing an order do not use EMS shipping. My order will take three weeks and counting.

Time to go for ride!

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have two plugs into the back of the factory radio in my Gen 3......but the harness for this radio only accepts the larger plug.... what is the second smaller plug for? I cannot figure out how to upload the image.....

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have two plugs into the back of the factory radio in my Gen 3......but the harness for this radio only accepts the larger plug.... what is the second smaller plug for? I cannot figure out how to upload the image.....

Do you have Satellite Radio? Or an external CD Changer?

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not.... I have everything set up....everything seems to work.... did you not have two plugs?

Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to trim the plastinc bracing to raise the unit like 1/16th of an inch...maybe less..... Also, my bluetooth does not want to connect consistently.....it could be my android phone...... but not sure.....

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not.... I have everything set up....everything seems to work.... did you not have two plugs?

Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to trim the plastinc bracing to raise the unit like 1/16th of an inch...maybe less..... Also, my bluetooth does not want to connect consistently.....it could be my android phone...... but not sure.....

I have a Droid-X, first generation, and it works every time without fail. Actually scares me when I forget that I have the damn thing and the phone/stereo start ringing while driving.

I trimmed mine with my Fien Multimaster tool. It, no exaggeration, took under a minute. It looks great.

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On mine, where you show the blue wire to go, there is already a blue wire with white stripe. Is this the same wire? There is another solid blue wire labeled woofer power, but there is no pin attached to it and it is connected to the small, black plug. Do I need to add a pin to the solid blue wire and install it where the blue/white wire is?

Thanks,
Murray

that was how my old style unit was set up. the blue wire in the second slot on the harness is correct. if you want to check it, use a volt meter, it should register 12 volts only when the unit is switched on. the new style unit did not have the "woofer" wire.

Last edited:

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score

second plug is for factory cd changer or xm radio. if your car has neither, just leave it unplugged. if your car has xm radio or a cd changer in the trunk, you will lose that function with this radio. you can use this plug to attach an aftermarket AUX input for a mp3 player if you like with the factory radio.

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the old style unit autoconnects every time. which is why i put it back in the car. the new style unit would not autoconnect. after the unit was turned off, it made you manually connect every time. which is why it sits on a bench being my experiment *****. not to mention there is no external "mic" jack. you need an external mic with the viper. the built in mic with the newer style unit sounds like you are in a tunnel. its usable but not great.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the old style unit autoconnects every time. which is why i put it back in the car. the new style unit would not autoconnect. after the unit was turned off, it made you manually connect every time. which is why it sits on a bench being my experiment *****. not to mention there is no external "mic" jack. you need an external mic with the viper. the built in mic with the newer style unit sounds like you are in a tunnel. its usable but not great.

Just ordered the older unit for these reasons.

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roscoe-since you have both units, can you confirm if the size is different given iownedu did not have to cut the opening, but others have?

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roscoe-since you have both units, can you confirm if the size is different given iownedu did not have to cut the opening, but others have?

dimensions are exactly the same. have to cut a little from the top plastic brace. fits like a glove after you do. with the old unit you have the option of moving the face plate up a little on the unit by drilling some new holes for the mounting plate. you will lose dvd/cd function of you do but really, who still has a cd collection, and what fool would try watching a movie while driving a viper?

with the new unit this is not an option. the face plate is connectied via pins to the circuit board of the unit. have to cut.

the old unit BT works flawlesly. the new unit is a better built piece of hardwear and the panal lights look better. the old unit is full brightness when the lights are on, cant adjust them. the new unit also has a preset button to go to the menu page, the old unit you have to hit the tiny little touch screen button in the top left corner with your fat fingers in a bouncing car. the old unit has an external mic for the BT, the new unit does not and in our loud **** cars it sounds like you are in a wind tunnel with the bt while driving. its usable, but not very clear.

the BT was the deal breaker for me. bith do everything they advertise although i have not hooked up the rear view camera. i have played with the ipod and aux input, they work well as does playing music and video from the sd card. no longer need a mp3 player or blue tooth devise in my car. im happy.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the subwoofer is cutting in and out.....any thoughts? Coming home tonight I could swear I was not getting any bass............

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Search back through rosco's posting. You have to set it to GMT, the GPS unit should adjust you to local time whenever it gets a signal. He found the resetting to China time whenever he powered off/on. The unit has some software bugs, but there are work-arounds.

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the subwoofer is cutting in and out.....any thoughts? Coming home tonight I could swear I was not getting any bass............

the speaker wires on the radios harness are out of phase. look at the first page of this post, someone did an exelent job detailing how to fix it. basically, the radio harness is set up neg/pos/neg/pos and the viper is pos/neg/neg/pos. have to change two of the speaker wires. for the new one mine was the white and purple wires. have to swap neg for pos so the end result in the harness is pos/neg/neg/pos. if not the woofer will not work. its the same for the new and old unit.

again on the time, you must adjust the time by using the "GMT" button, not the hour button. roll the GMT button back or forward untill you see the correct hour come up on the time. if you just change the hour the unit will adjust back to the GMT set time as soon as you turn on the GPS and it gets a signal from the satilite.

if someone gets a fix or update file to fix the blue tooth problem with the new unit please post it.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a "GMT" setting inside the GPS menus....is that what you are referring to? I set it to Eastern -5 GMT....but everytime the GPS is started it resets to Hong Kong +8 GMT.... I have been through the menus and could not locate another
"GMT" button.

I swapped the purple wires......maybe I did it wrong......I'll pull it and check..........

Thanks Rosco!

Last edited:

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I kept going into the navigation, resetting the GMT to Eastern Time Zone -5......and every time I would turn off GPS and turn GPS back on...it would reset to some other time zone, either back to Hong Kong or to Moravia......maybe it's tripped up by Daylight Savings Time? I seem to have tricked it by setting the GMT to Bogata (still -5 but does not recognize DST)...then went into the clock setting in the radio menu and changed the time by one hour..... I have had to turn the car off a few times, and restart the radio....and it is staying set on the right time....... thought I would share my limited experience!

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, it's installed. I had to trim the top about as I have the older unit. Bluetooth feature is cool.

When a DVD is put in, it flashes a warning not to turn video on. If you tap the screen, it goes away for about a minute and then comes back. How do you make it stay off? I tried 000000 code but that did not work.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, it's installed. I had to trim the top about as I have the older unit. Bluetooth feature is cool.

When a DVD is put in, it flashes a warning not to turn video on. If you tap the screen, it goes away for about a minute and then comes back. How do you make it stay off? I tried 000000 code but that did not work.

You have to ground the parking brake wire.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To what? Anything that is metal or is there a specific place to ground to?

Sorry I was on my phone earlier.

Check the instruction book for which is the parking brake ground cable. I spliced that wire into the adapter harnesses ground cable, keeping the setup as clean as I could. I'd assume any bare metal will work, but check it with an ohm meter to ground if you have one handy.

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just finished a long day putting in the Ometer and the MWG shifter. Wow, great sound and my BT streamed as soon as I linked the devices. Shut it on and off several times and they are still linked, maybe they fixed the earlier issue. I have the newer unit with the stainless back plate. Did have to trim the dash a little to get it to fit. Haatven't tried a DVD or CD yet, probably not functions I plan on using either. Pretty easy to set up and store stations.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished a long day putting in the Ometer and the MWG shifter. Wow, great sound and my BT streamed as soon as I linked the devices. Shut it on and off several times and they are still linked, maybe they fixed the earlier issue. I have the newer unit with the stainless back plate. Did have to trim the dash a little to get it to fit. Haatven't tried a DVD or CD yet, probably not functions I plan on using either. Pretty easy to set up and store stations.

Good to hear!

I haven't used the DVD/CD Function since installing the stereo and showing off the fact that it works. I stream BT Audio or listen to the radio. I don't store music since I used "Spotify" and "Slacker" for audio, so no go for me on the USB or SD card either.

I still have the original version. If they improve the interfaces maybe I'll upgrade later.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bluetooth is a bit difficult to connect each time...but it very well could be my smartphone (sometimes it's a little dumb)........ Haven't tried the DVD yet, but in the Factory (mine says FACTROY) menu there is an "on/off" button for parking break, I set mine to off.... I can play DVDs and input addresses into the Navigation whilst driving.......mine is the newer unit as you have......

Thanks.

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the GMT button is in the settings menu in the time page. btw there are alot of custom mods for the map program. just do a search for igo8 mods

for the dvd function on the older unit there is a menu under settings/factory to turn the brake feature on or off without messing with grounding the brake wire. worked for me. i forget where it is but when you get to the factory page and it asks for a code type in 6 numbers untill you find it. ie, 6 "1"s then 6 "2"s etc. dont remember which it is, but i think it is either 0 or 1 or 9. it is the switch labeled "brake", just set it to the off position.

or just ground the brake wire somewhere.

going to stick with the old unit myself for two reasons, the BT autonnection issue and no way to attach an external mic. i contacted the manufacture of the new unit and they may add an external mic in the future. may. btw they did not make the older unit. two different suppliers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4