Open Car Trailer

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search here, but came up blank. Anyone recommend any open auto trailers that they have?? I'm looking to purchase a trailer and would like some recommendations before I spend money. Of course it would need to be able to handle a Viper on and off without scraping the nose. An all aluminum trailer would be preferred, but will consider steel. I appreciate any help.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having trailed a car and a boat at one time or another.Do yourself a favor and get a used enclosed trailer.Put the car in clean and take it out clean.Open trailer equals covered with all kinds of road crap,dust,sand,oil,chips etc. Bruce

Reaction score

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new open all aluminum car trailer that I bought in August of this year and hauled our '04 Viper from the midewest to Vegas for VOI9.

It is made by ATC (Aluminum trailer Co.) in Indiana. Its all aluminum with Dexter torflex axles, 4wheel brakes, a 3 ft beavertail 5 ft long ramps, flush mount tiedowns and both fenders are removable. It weighs 1060 lbs empty and has a gross weight rating of 7000 lbs. I did have to make some ramp extensions cause my car is lower that stock, but that wasn't a big deal.

If you go to ATC's website and look at prices, they are up there a bit. If you purchase from one of their independant sellers, the price is down right reasonable.

I went with an open trailer because I do not have a spot to store an enclosed trailer but the open fits nicely behind my secondary detached garage in the back yard. I am also able to pull the trailer into the back yard with my ATV due to its light weight to save driving my truck in the yard, something I couldn't do with an enclosed trailer due to the weight.

With my outside storage, Aluminum was the only way to go as a steel one would soon begin to rust, something I hate.

I can send a pic of my trailer with both a Gen 2 car and also my Gen 3 car on it. I would post it on this reply if I knew how to.

OP
OP
R

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for you responses. The featherLite looks good, as I like the all aluminum trailers. The Sloan looks interesting, but pricey for a steel version. Living on the east coast, the steel trailers I have had in the past have rusted after only a few years to the point they needed to be stripped and painted. They just don't seem to stand up being exposed to the weather. GTS Bruce, thanks for your input, but not looking for enclosed. I don't want to store it and would not use it enough to justify such a big object in my backyard. A local trailer place sells "Destination" Trailers. Its an all aluminum trailer with removable fender wells(even the enclosed are all alum too). I would be interested if anyone has this trailer or any other recommendations on other brand trailers. Chuck, I e-mailed your friend John about his.

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SLoan makes an open trailer as well. I have had my Steel trialer for 7 years and no rust, but it is serviced reguarly and it does spend it's life outside. I liked the ease of the loading and unloading, the faring option and the enclosed doors in the front for storage. Good Luck

You must be registered for see images

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the Sloan as it is very low and you do not have to lug around ramps or lift the gate up and down. As it is self tilting it is very easy to use. Another thing is you can open the viper doors when on the trailer.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote for the Sloan for the reasons Robbie posted.

You must be registered for see images

[/QUOTE]

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the sloan as well. My only issue with them was their customer service. when i was in the market for a new trailer, i called sloan a few times and no one there would help me. they didn't have a local reseller so they gave me the names of a couple of people in the country. i called those people and never ONCE got a call back. i then investigated featherlite and bought that locally. 2 weeks after i bought the featherlite (and over a month from when i first called sloan) the sloan folks called me back to say "did you get what you needed?" and i laughed and told them how they lost my business. they didn't really seem to care.

One more detail that hasn't been mentioned in this thread: a good steal trailer (2200lbs, typically) can be had for 1500-2k used. aluminum is almost double. featherlites list for ~4800. the sloan was around 5k as well for an aluminum. just to give you a ballpark on what to spend. put another way: if you are just going to use your trailer once a year or so, a used BriMar like this one http://www.bri-mar.com/trailerdetail.php?modelsid=15&categorysid=4 would work really well. In fact, i had one for a while... doors open over fenders. i paid 1500 for mine used and sometimes miss it... not because it was cheap and reliable but because you could open the doors over the fenders which you can't do w/ the featherlite.

good luck!

JD

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to be able to open the doors when on the trailer, buy some 2 by 12 boards and screw onto the deck so the car is raised about 1 1/2 inches per board you put down, till you get above the fenders ?? Just a thought, this may not be for everyone BUT if you have the trailer already and want to be able to open the doors, this is a solution....

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid my local welder $100 to make the driver's side fender removable on my steel trailer. Easy solution.