Opinions on aftermarket clutch Master & Slave Cylinders

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello. I am curious to see if anyone here has any first hand experience with a non mopar master and slave clutch cylinder. I am seeing if it's worth saving the $400 and buying something from rockauto or should I spend the extra money and buy the genuine mopar parts. Funds are tight for a car I don't drive much and I would hate to waste $400+ when I can accomplish the same task for that much cheaper. It's for a 97 GTS.

Sincerely yours,
Cheap bastard
:)

OP
OP
A

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not owning one, i wouldnt skimp.

Yes, that is the easy thing to say, however there is real money to be spent and I am looking for opinions from people who have gone down that road and have experiences with the aftermarket parts. Thank you.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, its not the easy thing to say. My dad spent 19 years selling auto parts so I've seen a lot and the total **** you get from Rock Auto isn't anything close to OEM and is sourced from the cheapest vendor they can find. So, by all means, cheap out on your hand built almost one of a kind car. I wouldn't put their crap on my Talon.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been running an aftermarket Exedy master in mine for 2 years, feels much better than the OEM original that blew out through my firewall and left me stranded and was not expensive.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am with Talon on this one, had a full repair and body shop for 40 years. OEM is the way to go with a master and slave, other parts not always.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been running an aftermarket Exedy master in mine for 2 years, feels much better than the OEM original that blew out through my firewall and left me stranded and was not expensive.

Exedy isnt Rock Auto though.

OP
OP
A

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rockauto carrys Exedy and the part is only $113 compared for $300 for Mopar. When you factor in replacing the master the total savings is about $500 which is no small chunk of change.

98RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To be fair, nearly nothing (if anything) at Rock Auto is mfg by them. They are just a middle man. I bought tie rod ends and they were Moog, for example. Just scroll down the list of parts (when their is one) and go to the better brands. Like in this example, the Exedy can be bought through Rock Auto.

Also, while our cars are hand built we can't forget they were also parts bin cars for the most part. It's still just a car.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be fair, nearly nothing (if anything) at Rock Auto is mfg by them. They are just a middle man. I bought tie rod ends and they were Moog, for example. Just scroll down the list of parts (when their is one) and go to the better brands. Like in this example, the Exedy can be bought through Rock Auto.

Also, while our cars are hand built we can't forget they were also parts bin cars for the most part. It's still just a car.

I understand they are just the retailer, and that you can get name brand stuff, but the point still is, you need to be careful.

98RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand they are just the retailer, and that you can get name brand stuff, but the point still is, you need to be careful.

Agreed, but that is no different than buying from the parts counter either unless you are buying from the dealership of which most of the time you are overpaying for a rebranded/reboxed part.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, but that is no different than buying from the parts counter either unless you are buying from the dealership of which most of the time you are overpaying for a rebranded/reboxed part.

With that is knowing what to buy and where to buy it. Id trust Beck Arnley stuff all my life, but i dont know if they make stuff for Vipers.