Opinions on an '08 for sale?

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking for an '08 coupe and one that has come up on my radar has something interesting in the carfax. I'd like to get some thoughts.

It has had 3 owners. The second one had this:

11/21/2008 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Madera, CA Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Loan or lien reported
Registered as lease vehicle

12/04/2008 1,119 Lithia Dodge of Fresno
Fresno, CA
559-431-4000
www.fresnododge.com One tire mounted and balanced
Steering/suspension checked

01/20/2009 1,385 Lithia Dodge of Fresno
Fresno, CA
559-431-4000
www.fresnododge.com Wheel(s) replaced

I'm thinking the guy fishtailed into a curb and wrecked a tire and rim. He drove it for another 1000 miles and sold to the 3rd owner who put on 4k over the last year.

Any linger effects to worry about? Any way to get more details as to what wheel(s) were involved? One wreck or two?

Car is not local to me, however, I had my father check it out since he was 10 minutes away from it. He said it looked like a new car and didn't see any reason to be concerned. However, he did not drive it.

PM me if you want more details. Not sure I want to broadcast the car here, but then again it probably does not take a genius to track it down either.

:confused:

Thanks...

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it a smoking deal, or a specific color combo you're after? If not, why not pass and get something with a clear history...resale is always easier that way, whenever that time comes.

In the same breath, it's not something I would personally worry with...but everyone feels differently about a car with a "history," no matter how insignificant it may be

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I m in fresno, if the car is in fresno I can check it out for you. You might want to get in touch with central valley vca president to see if it was sold by a vca member...

OP
OP
V

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure what is a deal or not. Seems like everything out there is above blue book. It also seems like they are sitting around.

It is at a dealer, and the blue book would put it somewhere in the 63-65 range. I would consider it at 60. Color is good for me.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it had a vibration since new and the dealer replaced a wheel because it was wouldn't balance right?

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't you think if he wrecked the tire and the rim they would have been replaced at the same time? I'm just guessing that the tire tech would at least caught that wouldn't swear to it though. You can balance a block of wood but it will still be square.
Kind of hard to fishtail the front, probably hit a chuckhole. Get it checked out should be fine!

Last edited:

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car is in Texas now.

It's a rather large state.....

What do you want us to do?

Obviously, get it as low as you can. A rim is not a big deal.

You want someone to look at it?
You want to know if the price is right?
You want to know what it costs for a new rim?
You want to know if someone remembers this car out of the thousand or so built without giving a color or current location?

People are willing to help, just what do you want?

OP
OP
V

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a rather large state.....

What do you want us to do?

Obviously, get it as low as you can. A rim is not a big deal.

You want someone to look at it?
You want to know if the price is right?
You want to know what it costs for a new rim?
You want to know if someone remembers this car out of the thousand or so built without giving a color or current location?

People are willing to help, just what do you want?

Sorry if I've not been clear. Probably because I'm a bit uncertain. I do appreciate the help here.

I guess the first question is there anything to be concerned about given the history (3 previous owners) and a possible accident? Seems like several people have answered that question. While not an ideal car, I like it so it comes to price.

As far as price goes, I probably could use some guidance there. I've been following the market for awhile. I've seen asking prices generally above blue book. Obviously this viper is not as nice as a 1 owner, 250 miles '08 asking $69,900. Nor is it as bad as an '08 northern car with 13,000 miles and a documented wreck that required extensive repairs for $61,000.

Of course those are dealer asking prices. What is a more realistic selling price? This car has about 7,000 miles.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prices are usually going up about now. Seen it many times. If the car is in Texas, the weather is already good here. Depending upon the part of the state, some areas are doing well economically. I would postulate that this is either in Dallas or Houston.

The price does not seem really out of whack, honestly. PM me if in the Houston area. I will keep it confidential for you. Sounds like an essentially new car......

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'm curious why someone would want to take a chance with a "has questions" 08 for 65-70k when you can buy a "brand new" 09 with 4 delivery miles on it for 80-86k ?.