Opinions on rear end gearing options

KEast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.30 or 3.55?

Stock Dana or Quaife?

Im considering an upgrade to a 3.30 gear set and Quaife in my new coupe as one of my next mods, just wanted to hear some opinions on gearing options and rear end options.

Most of my driving is just around town. Im more interested in a setup that would be good for autocross events, road course tracks rather then a 1/4 mile setup.

In the Dallas area, Im thinking Archer in Fort Worth for the install. Who else in North Texas would be recommended to do the gear setup?

Thanks

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont do auto cross but since I have a 2006 coupe thought you may be interesrted in results.

I just had the 3.55 mopar dana gears installed. Really like it. A lot of fun on the street-feels quicker ,but you will loose some on very top end.

Viper585 has tried both 3.33 & 3.55 and he likes the 3.55 much better.

You will shift more so I dont know about auto cross. Other drivers that do auto cross will give you good advice.

Its unbelieveable what the 3.55 does for all the gears-really wakes up 4-6. Best mod I have done so far for the street. Jon at parts rack and Ab told me this-now I believe them.

Even with non run flat tires in this type of weather hard to keep tires ,at wot off the line ,from spinning. But on the run its something else.

I dont know what exhaust system you plan to use, but I had the corsa track exhaust installed--very good mod.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gears may help in most autocrosses as you can stay in 2nd more of the time. The Quaife should help alot. Stock diff is not very good in road racing/autocross situations in my experience.

Reaction score
The Stock gear is great for, daily driving, open track as autocrossing. Had 3:55's and will not go there again. The massive torque of the Viper has no benefit from lower gears, unless you run slicks at a drag strip. IMHO

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
IMHO,

Drags / street with limited (stock power + headers, exhaust, intake) = 3.55s work great.

Road racing, autocross (stock power and much, much more) stay with 3.07s.

Dan

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3.55's are a great street gear and a popular choice. Car will pull much harder and 6th becomes usable. Good luck.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SnakeEye your right-the 3.55 pulls so much stronger. Hard to believe what it has done for the higher gears. Really ,its the best mod for the street that Ive had installed. I was skeptical about having it done but very happy with the results. Like any mod I know it is not for everyone.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Keep in mind the Comp Coupes went to different gear sets at Sebring. They immediately yanked them out and went back to 3.07s. If you are going to do road course stuff there is only one choice, and that is to stay stock. Quaifes work great and your other option is a Racelogic Traction Control system. I frankly think the 3.07s work the best for Autocrosses also, as the torque is there and once you hit 2nd it stays there almost all the time unless it is a slow, tight course. In that case, you can sometime run the entire course in first ( good example there was the track at VOI9 , which could be run entirely in first ).

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found the 3.33 gear to be perfect for the street.

I have heard that from a lot of people along with that they are hard to come by. If you have a good source you should post it here for everyone.

Robbie

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased mine through Doug Levins. Keisler which now owns Dana is suppose to have these ready for sale by the end of the year Robbie.

a-mechanic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.55 then you won't shift out of 2nd on most autocross courses. it is very streetable to.

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really like my 3.55 for the street, it has been by far my best mod ... however, when I am on the track I find myself wishing I had the stock 3.07.

If you are doing mostly street driving then go 3.55 - if you have the car on the track a lot you are going to want stock. Autocross can go either way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang