Opportunity to trade my 05 vette for a 97 gts or a 98 rt/10

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2005 corvette loaded coupe with 25k on the clock. I have the opportunity to do a straight up trade for a 98 rt/10 with 33k on the clock. It comes with the hard top. I also have the opportunity to trade my vette plus $4750 for a 97 gts (red) with 25k on the clock. My ultimate goal is to get a 96/97 Blue/White GTS. Would it be a good move to make either of these trades and then trade for a Blue/ White GTS?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think in the end you might want to wait. The '96/'97 GTS' in Blue/white are a very popular color and I doubt you would get an even trade on either of those cars down the road. YOu might even end up paying more in the end. However if you really want to get into a viper....go for it!!!! I say go for the '98 RT/10. :)

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why you would trade for a car you don't want in anticipation of a future trade. Every time you trade a car it costs you $$$$. Sell the Vette and buy what you want or wait until a trade that you want comes around.

OP
OP
C

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why you would trade for a car you don't want in anticipation of a future trade. Every time you trade a car it costs you $$$$. Sell the Vette and buy what you want or wait until a trade that you want comes around.

In the case of the rt/10, costs are minimal. Also, if it doesn's sell before winter, I want a car that will hold its value. (corvettes value seem to fall much faster than the gen 2 Vipers.)

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a good point. I would take the trade for the RT/10 mainly becuase right now it's probably worth about 5K more than your Vette. The GTS would be my option if it was straight up lol. But throwing another 5K on top of your Vette for that GTS doesn't seem like the best way to go. Get the R/T, drive it around for a year or so, then get into a B/W. Just my .02.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would get the rt10 (though I am a GTS owner and fan) and ride that even money until you can "trade plus X amount" for a 96/97 BW. This is a pretty str8 up trade and I would recommend it as you are right that the value of the 98 should hold/appreciate over the next few years compared to the vette.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get the red GTS you will get a better idea of what owning the B/W 96-97 is all about. You will likely get more attention than you ever dreamed of, and the GTS seems to bring more money than the RT10 (spring *** summer excluded). Your choice and good luck.