ORECA CARBONFIBER WING

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I want this wing really bad no matter what it cost"

You better really mean that
You must be registered for see images
JohB can get you one. Around $7000 or $8000 as I remember...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 97SNAKE:
I want this wing really bad no matter what it cost.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't plan on being able to open the rear glass. The ORECA wing will be in the way.

Mark Cooper, you can check out the Partsrack wing on my site.

Installation

At the track

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB-Pace Car Pilot:
PartsRack also has "replica" wings for those like me that choke on the above $$, for far far less. Multi-Thousands less!

And, they are race-tested, with strong, phenomonal hardware. Our wing WONT rip your rear closure panel or crack your GTS spoiler or fenders due to flexing, as some others have. And still others will.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jon,

This is the Viper Club Message board. If you know of a Viper wing kit that has damaged fenders or etc as a result of mounting design (not because of improper installation), spill the beans. Right now, you're implying that the only wing worth buying is the Multi-Axis brand wing that you sell. Making vague generalities such as "some damage this" and "some damage that" is not helping anyone with the information they may need.

To that end, we have already received e-mails asking if our wing, which none have been finished and sent yet, is the one you're referring to. I can only assume that the other wing manufacturers and suppliers (Auto-form, Kingman Hitz, Hennessey, etc.) are getting the same e-mails.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Jon,

Lighten up a bit.

You said "Our wing WONT rip your rear closure panel or crack your GTS spoiler or fenders due to flexing, as some others have. And still others will". According to my copy of Webster's dictionary, the word imply means to insinuate; to suggest. Sounds like you're implying.

So I ask again, what wings do rip the closure panel, crack your GTS spoiler and fenders?. I'm a VCA member and I'd like to know.

Oh, and thanks for implying it's not mine.

Thanks,

P.S. I like open doors. It keeps everybody honest.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

Your first post was a bit leading. When I first read it I thought the same thing Sean did, that the wing you carry is the only one worth buying. My only concern, however, was for the car and not marketing. I admit the Multi-Axis wing is a quality piece and would be my choice anyway.

Your follow up post provides a little more info in that you list a number of suppliers you also carry. All of which, I assume, have no issues of causing body damage.

I would think, that if factual, naming the wing which may potentialy damage someones car would be beneficial to ALL owners, regardless of how some competing vendors choose to use that information.

Matt

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon,

Why aren't you answering the question?

If the wing kit(s) that you're saying are cracking the bodywork and ripping rear panels are not ones you're selling, then why wouldn't you inform the other VCA members?

Why is it so important to you that I don't find out? Okay, so I don't get to say "our wing won't crack the fenders and rip the back panels like brand X". I can live with that.

Are there actually any wings that are cracking panels and ripping rear covers? As much as you're trying to change the subject, I'm beginning to wonder.

Also, if you don't mind, please quote me EXACTLY in the future. My EXACT e-mail to you this morning was:

Hi Jon,

You made the statement "And, they are race-tested, with strong, phenomonal hardware. Our wing WONT rip your rear closure panel or crack your GTS spoiler or fenders due to flexing, as some others have. And still others will." on the Viper club message board recently. As I'm getting ready to offer a wing as well, who's wings are cracking and ripping panels? That is some valuable sales tool information and I'd like to get that clarification.
Thanks,
Sean

97Snake,

Heck, you didn't start anything and we all do get along pretty well. If it wasn't for this thread, VCA members might not know that there might be wings that might crack their fenders and rip their panels. Now if we could just figure out which ones they might be

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

If you won't post the brand of wing that damaged someone's car for Sean, how about posting it for the thousands of other VCA members here who can benefit from the information?

This could be a costly mistake. I'd hate to think one competitors e-mail would stop you from warning/helping thousands of others.

Matt

Ernie J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,
Its not one brand. Jon B said "Our wing wont rip your rear
closure panel or crack your GTS spoiler or fenders due to
flexing as some others have". Apparently there's more than
one.
I'm going to call Sean Roe and make him promise not to peek. Then perhaps Jon B will post which manufacturers are selling the wings that will trash our beloved Vipers.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I certainly would never say anything against JonB, and I wouldn't start here. He has done a lot for many of us here and I, for one, am indebted.

That said, I do wish SOMEBODY would tell us which wings could or will damage our cars. Many of us consider a wing from time to time (that dang Marcus in our club has that nifty new 2001 with one - so now we all want one). If we end up dropping $600-$7,700 on a wing that breaks our car, well that just stinks. I am always on the fence with "bad tuner" posts because they are often the exceptions rather than the rule. However, if a product is potentially defective out of the box, I want to know which one it is. Especially before I plop down the kid's food money on one...
Post on!

Chris

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Jon,

You're a tremendous asset to the Viper Community, of which I am a member, and I do appreciate your efforts as much as anyone else.

That e-mail I sent to you this morning, personally I might add, was meant to get a rise out of you. When I started getting emails asking if my wing was going to crack the back of a Viper, I said, "pardon me?". Then I read your post. Your words "implied" all the way from Washington state to Florida that there were problems with all but the Multi Axis wing.

Now, I gotta say, the Multi Axis wing is a nice wing and it works as advertised. But, you said that there are others out there that have, or will cause problems. Nobody put words in your mouth.

All we're asking is that you give fact to your comments regarding the wing. Nothing more. Heck, even when, or if, you tell what you know, do you think that I, or other businesses would actually use that in advertising? I would hope not, and I appologize for giving you the impression that I would (I was a little mad at the time that was written). I'm really not that kind of person. I'm open, sometimes to a fault. You, and everyone else knows exactly where they stand with me (if you're not sure, just call me at 1-866-ASK-SEAN
). I don't whisper behind closed doors.

That said, I really think you should back up what you implied regarding the wings that are damaging cars. I PROMISE, not to say another word about it after you do.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the wings often overlooked in the "wing hunt" is Northwind Engineering's GTS-R wing. it is the original GTS-R wing, done in carbon fibre, and very nice. It is a "real" GTS-R wing (so it may interfere with the rear hatch, you'd need to call and check with Mike Trost), and was used on the first wave of factory R's. At $2500 +/-, it is pretty reasonably priced too. Here is a picture:

28.jpg

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

No response from Jon regarding backing up his comments with fact or example, I see.

Well, I guess that settles it. All the other wings (Auto-Form, Hennessey, SVSi, Kingman's, Roe Racing, and anybody else I left out) must be okay.

Hey Jon,
That is some valuable sales tool information you're using (implying other wings are going to cause problems). Thanks for the clarification. Not "trashing" the business competition directly, but implying they have problems sure is a clever way to market your products.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by JonB:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Matt, you obviously don't know me, or my track record of advice and support of VCA.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a hasty assumption. One that is, in fact, wrong. I have been on the Viper boards for several years and even thanked you personally for your help after I purchased my Viper. I know what an asset you are to the Viper community which is why I am surprised you don't want to share with us about a product that may damage our wonderful snakes.

Originally posted by JonB:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
You should also re-count the number of "VCA Members" who hang out here. And the number worldwide who have wings installed. Hardly t(h)ousands.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess your last statement "Hardly thousands" will depend on which previous statement you are reffering to. I know there may not be thousands of VCA members with wings installed. I also do not know how many VCA members hang out here on the board, but even 2000 is thousands. Registered or not. So nobody REALLY knows how many VCA members see this board.

At any rate, I don't think it should come down to counting how many will see the information here. That really isn't the point. If it saves ONE member from buying a wing which will damage their Viper it would all be worth it. Don't you agree?

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here by not naming names. Maybe it too is a sales technique to force prospective buyers to call you first if they are cosidering aero mods and don't want to inadvertantly purchase from "some others" whoose wing MAY damage their Viper.

If Jon is still set on not sharing the information publicly with the board, I would HIGHLY encourage ALL members who are cosidering a wing purchase to at least call Jon directly. I know he is a good guy and I know he is passionate about Vipers. I also know he won't knowingly let you buy something that would damage your Snake, whether you ultimately purchase from him or another vendor. In the meantime, I can only hope that the non-mentioned vendor is working to correct the problem.

Best regards to all members,
Matt

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If wing design has caused cracking and other problems I would expect the "offended party" to let us know. Any one out there with problems? If so, give us the details and name names.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks,
This one is a tricky one. When JonB was JonB of the Travel Agent Hall of Fame, it would have been pretty easy for him to offer advice on all manufacturers' products, as he had nothing to gain no matter where the VCA member purchased said product. He did offer this type of info quite freely in the past. However, the rules have now changed and Jon is JonB - PartsRack. He stands to gain personally (monetarily) if a person chooses "his" product. It becomes harder for him to offer "advice" which can be construed as slamming the competition (even if he has seen failures) and calls into question his motives. I am sure he is trying to avoid the implication that he is slamming another supplier in order to feather his nest. I respect that.

He has however, shared some valuable information. ASK QUESTIONS before you do any aero work. How many wings have been installed? Have there been any reported issues of breakage or stress cracks at whatever mounting points the vendor uses - if so, was it related to design or an installation problem? Who installed the wing? Look CAREFULLY at the design. How much testing has been done and of what type? High speed? Weight on the wing? Etc.

As this relates to Sean, I am sure that Sean is doing the right kind of testing (he seems more than thorough when it comes to new product development) and I'd bet you a bunch of money his wing WILL NOT damage any part of your Viper (unless you have to drill holes, of course
) And I did not read Jon's statement to imply that Sean's wing would.

As more and more suppliers enter the Viper market, that's a good thing. However, remember that just becasue you make stuff for Brand X, doesn't necessarily mean you have all the data you need to do Viper parts. Stick with the folks that have the cars and have done the testing, ask for references of folks that have the product you are buying. Basically, make smart purchases.

Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187