Our very own Fireball is famous. Story and video clip from Race City Speedway.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CTV Calgary- Revving up at Race City - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

Click on the link and watch the story on closing Race City Speedway. Greg does a great job trying to keep it open. If you look really closely at back stretch during the story you can see a really loooooong black streak on the pavement..... that would be about 1/3 of my front right tire...LOL.

That's really sad. Hard to believe they're gonna demo an existing facility when there are other options. Typical though.

I agree that speed freaks are gonna get their fix somewhere. Probably on the street.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've asked my Alderman whether she prefers if I race on Deerfoot Trail or MacLeod Trail in Calgary.

An election is still 2 years off but if you live in Calgary VOTE CAREFULLY! I WILL make this an election issue. This is something that will cause deaths.

I do all these track days and schools at no profit to me. My reason is that I want drivers to have a place to drive their cars quickly besides the street. Additionally, drivers will have learned some skills that will make them better drivers everywhere - for the rest of their lives. Don't forget that it's the only place that you can experience the performance of a high performance car. If you've never had your car on the track then, in my opinion, you simply don't know the capability of your car. Not even close.

I can hear it now. 2 years from now there will be some innocent family killed during a street race. The Mayor will cry out for more police and more traffic camera's - he'll demand more money from the Province and the Feds. But it won't help. People will continue to die as performance drivers will have no other venue than the streets.

The blood of those that WILL die will be all over this Mayors hands.

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you need help with your cause please let me know i will drive down any time to help you out anyway i can

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good thing there's a new complete racing facility being built just north of Calgary, right?

Haven't heard anything about that lately - plans still going forward?

Ted

OP
OP
R

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good thing there's a new complete racing facility being built just north of Calgary, right?

Ted

I believe it's still in the planning / approval stage. No ground getting broken yet. Greg will know more as things happen in Calgary.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ted

The facility north of Calgary is a go-cart track. My Alderman (Linda Fox-Mellway) thinks a horse racing track and a car racing track are the same thing.

My hope is that the go-cart track will expand into a car track but I don't believe the land parcel is big enough.....

Greg

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just from a sustainable development standpoint, the demo of the exsisting track is a flawed idea.
All those with dedicated track machines will now have no choice but to travel great distances (burning fuel to get there) to race at other facilities. And the fans, too. Everyone taking thier cash out of the city and up to Edmonton, or to Medicine Hat etc.

Greg

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Politicains are only as smart as their constiuents, Really really dumb.

I spoke to one local guy and he told me that 1 Grand Prix race made equivalent poolution to New York Cities entire Pollution output for 3 days. I said, "Really? You mean the spectators since most race cars are using Ethanol now?" He looked stupified. I don't know how many race cars use Ethanol (and it's more polluting in my opinion since you have to burn so much more to get the same hp) and I don't care ... I just think that everyone that has "an expert opinion" should have an idea of what they're talking about. They don't.

Vancouver had the Indy race and the Politicians kicked it - and all that money out of the province (too noisy and polluting). Then the idiots got the Olympics. You, me and all Canadians are wasting our tax dollars to create serious pollution and we'll only get "recognition" in return. Vancouver has already jacked up their avg. $109 Motel Rooms to $250+. I understand that the Politicians plan on this being the biggest Olympics ever. It'll certainly be the most expensive with security alone costing a Billion dollars. Our local airline will have to discontinue operation for 3 months because they don't have international security measures to screen all domestic passengers. They'll be going bankrupt.

Good luck guys.

Ted