Out of curiosity does anyone make underdrive pulleys for a Gen 1?

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i don't know what made me think of it but i have never seen anyone talk about or advertise underdrive pulleys for a Gen 1.:dunno: i was just wandering if no one made them or if they were any good or made a difference.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave at DavesBigBrakes has underdrive pulleys but I don't know if they're for all generations. I'd give him a call and the lowdown on these.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '94 came with one installed by previous owner. He used one from a 5.9L Dodge. It only has 5 ribs instead of 6, but the thinner belt has worked perfectly now for 92K miles.

There are old posts about saving power because the accessories spin slower. In my opinion, the real advantage is that you save heating the power steering pump and fluid. I autocross and don't worry about the dreaded PS pump and cap explosion leading to fire, etc, etc.

Unless you are idling and all lights on and AC on and brakes on and fan on high you won't notice the charging rate is low. My battery life has been excellent.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '94 came with one installed by previous owner. He used one from a 5.9L Dodge. It only has 5 ribs instead of 6, but the thinner belt has worked perfectly now for 92K miles.

There are old posts about saving power because the accessories spin slower. In my opinion, the real advantage is that you save heating the power steering pump and fluid. I autocross and don't worry about the dreaded PS pump and cap explosion leading to fire, etc, etc.

Unless you are idling and all lights on and AC on and brakes on and fan on high you won't notice the charging rate is low. My battery life has been excellent.

Same thing I did on my '94 and on my '01 ACR

If you poke around at a parts store that has good access you can find a 6 rib belt sometimes. Changing the idler pulley to a larger diameter one commonly found at NAPA for example helped with some belt choices too on the ACR.

$65 or so for the steel pulley at Summitt

:rolaugh:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This info may help: (from my notes)
Original belt w/ac Gates K070776 ACDelco 7K776
w/ 5.9L pulley 25-060760 Gates K060760 AC Delco 6K760
The new belt is 21 x 1945 mm.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got one for a Gen II if anyone is interested. It's never been installed.