Overheating problem

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2001 with 7000 miles on it. It has never given me any trouble whatsoever.

Friday was a reasonably nice day (50's and sunny) so I uncovered it and went for a ride. I got about 3 miles from home and the temp gauge went all the way to the right and the temperature warning light came on.

I pulled over and coolant was pouring out onto the pavement from the passenger side, I assume from the coolant reservoir.

I had it towed to the dealer and they have not been able to diagnose what went wrong. They are guessing that the thermostat must have stuck. They filled it back up with water and have not been able to reproduce the problem.

I'm planning on having them replace the thermostat under the assumption that is the culprit.

Any suggestions?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Water pump issues are not uncommon on the 2001's. Impeller related.
Do a search on water pumps here.
You will find plenty.

gts_2001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had exactly the same symptoms and cause last fall with my 01 GTS. They replaced thermostat first without solving the problem then followed through with the water pump and successful resolution of the problem. I'm in agreement with LETHAL GTS, it's the water pump!

Good luck! :2tu:

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Water pump, while they are in there, it doesn't hurt to replace the thermostat as well. You might want to get one that opens at 180 while your at it if you drive in hot weather often.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Water pump, while they are in there, it doesn't hurt to replace the thermostat as well. You might want to get one that opens at 180 while your at it if you drive in hot weather often.

A thermostat do NOT control the maximun coolant/engine temperature, but the minimum.

What control the maximum coolant temperature is the BTU's(British Thermal Unit) capacity of the cooling system.

Luc.00GTS

Blade Runner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the water pump. I just went through the same deal. The inpeller slips on the shaft and lets the motor run hot. It happens only some of the time so it's hard to check. Just have them change the water pump and don't mess with the other stuff now.

OP
OP
T

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Follow Up

Thought I'd post a follow up...

I was already committed to changing the thermostat after reading these posts. I called the dealer and they already had it ripped apart.

I picked up the car and it was still overheating. It would get hotter as the rpm's increased. I would have to drop down to 5th or 6th gear (in the city) to decrease the rpm's to get it to cool down.

I called them up and had them order a water pump and they thought I was crazy. When they removed the old water pump, there were two visual cracks in the impeller. Needless to say, replacing the water pump did the trick.

I wasted 650.00 to replace the thermostat but hopefully this will prevent others from doing the same thing.

Anyone know if the replacement pumps have been redesigned so the impeller doesn't crack?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Follow Up

I wasted 650.00 to replace the thermostat but hopefully this will prevent others from doing the same thing.

That's why I posted as quick as I did. I was trying to save you the hassle and expense. Thanks for the follow up though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang