Paddle Shift

BigSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any possibility of the next gen Viper getting a paddle shift? After seeing the new F430 transmission w/ a selectable fully automatic mode, the old stick shift looks extremely outdated and inefficient. Also, everyone knows that our fat tires like to find grooves in the road. It would be nice to have both hands on the wheel when driving, especially during hard cornering. Also, as most of us are not prefessional drivers, we could shave some time of our 0-60 with the paddle shift.

For those of you who disagree, I'll get a new one with a paddle shift when they come out, and I'll watch you shift yours in my rear view mirrior....

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To me it is about more than just getting the best 0-60 time or the ease of driving. I truly enjoy the manual gearbox, if I was buying a gallardo right now I would not get the e-gear, I would want the 6 speed. There is something very satisfying about retro-tech and that is what the viper is all about.

I hope Dodge remembers that is what the legions of die hard fans want, retro-tech. Even if they come with the top technology double clutch paddle shift I will not buy one.

I doesn't matter to me one iota that a magazine bench race would favor the paddle. It is a fact that no invidual driving a manual can match an automatic transmission is speed of shift, I don't care.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those of you who disagree, I'll get a new one with a paddle shift when they come out, and I'll watch you shift yours in my rear view mirrior....

Then you could watch me past you while picking up the pieces littered all over the road from your e-gear. Asked the Lambo and Ferrari guys what I am talking about.....

DJ Self

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A SMG like trans would be great. I had one in my BMW and it was AWESOME.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are not meant to have a paddle shift. It doesn't go with the cars minimalist design.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Then you could watch me past you while picking up the pieces littered all over the road from your e-gear. Asked the Lambo and Ferrari guys what I am talking about.....

The problem with the F1 transmission comes from reverse at double digit speeds and other 'non forward gear' issues. Unless you are a serious track hound, the F1 cars are documented improvements on road course lap times. I would assume likewise in the 1/4's.

I do agree that the idea is contrary to the design of the Viper. Of course, I would have one in a second if they did it.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say no, if you want refinement and paddle shifters buy a Ferrari or a C6 Corvette. :p

Viper is all about being RAW. :2tu:

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's face it, the Viper 6 speed is junk. Either improve the present 6 speed or at least offer the paddle as an option.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's face it, the Viper 6 speed is junk.

Really? I've got over 100K miles, probably more than a 1000 1/4 passes and countless high speed runs on my 98 and it is still bone stock including the clutch.

I replaced the tranny in my 97 after 35,000 miles, 5 years of tracking (road and some drag) and prior to my purchase it was a school car.

I also hear all the Vette and Fbody guys wanting Viper trannys.

So what exactly is junk about it?

As for paddle shifters. You gotta be kidding.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As for paddle shifters. You gotta be kidding.

Chuck I have always enjoyed reading your posts and respect your opinion. I agree that the Viper tranny has been quite reliable through the years. Why do you feel so strongly agains the paddle shifters? Disagreement with putting it in a Viper or overall distaste for the concept?

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's face it, the Viper 6 speed is junk. Either improve the present 6 speed or at least offer the paddle as an option.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I don't mind the Viper 6 speed at all. It's easy to shift, and very durable. I wouldn't buy a Viper with a paddle shifter.

RS27J9A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge was reaching for a new demographic with the SRT-10 and boy did they get it.

These are also the same people that list "pink" as their favourite color.

OP
OP
B

BigSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, so I guess the general consensus is "NO" on the paddle shift. Sorry that I'm a fan of "technological advancements" without which we would all still be driving 400hp Vipers without windows, door handles and locks. Sometimes, change is good. As for SRT owners favorite colors, mine is black like my car, but I heard RS27J9A's boyfriends is pink...

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your consensus is probably correct with members of this board. but we would all rather be driving 600-700 hp vipers, and i would not trade my SRT vert for either of my previous RT's.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am paddle-shifting Viper now. It's a 2001 ACR and it's a great experience. Allright - it's a GTR game (www.gtr-game.com), voted as the most realistic game out there and the real car simulator. Combined with Logitech MOMO racing force feedback wheel with real PADDLES this is a great time killer for us living in colder climates (damned, it's snowing again!). Seriously - you actually feel the pavement and can set almost everything just like you would drive the car (tires, weather, temperatures). Plus the viper engine sound and the vibrations coming from it are - real.

As for the paddles and SRT - I would want them, definitely. I really like them on my wife's M3 cvt SMG. Shifting just can't get any faster.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if Dodge made it an option. Most people would opt for the paddles. I know I would. You can't stop the future.

People said the same about the automatic transmission

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you feel so strongly agains the paddle shifters? Disagreement with putting it in a Viper or overall distaste for the concept?

Aside from being fun, there is a skill required to correctly rev match and shift a stick. No way is paddle shifting as fun at that...except maybe for those who aren't any good at sticks.

I have nothing against motor tech advancements other than it complicates maintenance, but when driver aids equalize the drivers then why bother racing each other?

Apparently F1 - the pinnacle of tech, is seeing the light. They've done away with that precious ABS so many people live for, as well as a few other tech "advancements." Unassisted braking, my oh my, how do they do that?

For the record, F1 didn't always have paddle shifts. Indy and NASCAR still don't and they go a lot faster than we do.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the F1 Trans but for American cars, I really do not see it happening. Although offered in the new C6, almost no one wants it. The American car crowd verse the European car crowd are totally different. Personally I love F1 in lots of cars because it just flows better but in an American car that is based on burning out and 1/4 mile times, I just do not see it working well with consumers.

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee, here we are with Vipers that have A/C, power steering, stereo radios, power side windows,ABS, door locks, tops that don't leak, etc. Why don't we just go back to large go-karts with none of this stuff and be Mr macho! What is wrong with advancing technology if it improves the product? At least make it,(paddle shifters) an option, no one is forcing you to order it! Order what you want and all you "purist" can quit your ********.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee, here we are with Vipers that have A/C, power steering, stereo radios, power side windows,ABS, door locks, tops that don't leak, etc. Why don't we just go back to large go-karts with none of this stuff and be Mr macho! What is wrong with advancing technology if it improves the product? At least make it,(paddle shifters) an option, no one is forcing you to order it! Order what you want and all you "purist" can quit your ********.

...wasted R&D time :rolleyes:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Order what you want and all you "purist" can quit your ********.

Uh...wait a minute. It isn't the "purist" that starts these "tech owns all" threads. In fact, it's you whiners that pushed for ABS, stereos, power mirrors, etc.

How about the whiners that are trying to change the Viper into something it's not, BUY ONE OF THE DOZENS OF OTHER CARS THAT HAVE ALL THAT CRAP and keep the Viper unique.

With all the ******** you techies do I honestly don't know why y'all bought the Viper anyway. Particularly with the new Z06 on the market.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you're going to disagree with me but options cost money regardless if they are installed or not. Development for one, employee training for another, screwups another.

Seriously, what draws you guys to buy a Viper in the first place? The car has always been accused of being low-tech.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one answered my question; what is wrong with making it an option and let us all have what we want?
they would have to have a demand for the paddle shift to make it an option. If you were the only person wanting the paddle shift to be an option, they would not think twice. But lets say 9 out of every 10 viper owners wanted a paddle shift, dodge would problably think twice about makeing it an option. just my .02

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from being fun, there is a skill required to correctly rev match and shift a stick. No way is paddle shifting as fun at that...except maybe for those who aren't any good at sticks.

There is nothing funny nor entertaining on popping up the clutch. It may look as a rocket science for the most of americans but for guys from the old continent this is a daily bread and butter. In fact it's considered as quite annoying when you want go fast on windy roads and concentrate on driving.

C6's auto with buttons can't be compared with SMG. SMG is a manual tranny, it actually has clutch although operated automatically. So it uprevs when upshifting to match RPMs etc. (This is so cool to observe:). The only comparable is the VW's DSG concept. The other's like Mercedes and Porsche have traditional although very well engineered autos. For Viper's narrow RPM band I'd say that the best cost/time/effect route would be to take an auto from the Merc garage.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one answered my question; what is wrong with making it an option and let us all have what we want?

Pay attention...I won't type this three times: WASTED R&D (research and development) MONEY! :buttkick:

This is a high performance sportscar, not legos. You can't just stick on TC, paddle shifters and other doohickies just because you threaten to hold your breath and turn blue. These things take time and money to do right, whether you decide to add it or not... someone has to pay for that cost, and it won't be DC eating the cost out of the goodness of their heart. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456