Paddle Shift

xanadu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you may have wondered when I was going to chime in on this, since I've beaten this subject many times before.

I agree very much with John Baird. The minimalist/purist Viper owners are afraid of "options" for whatever reason. Some even like to make the "pink" claim, which is so juvenile/immature. The option of TC & paddle shift would open up another avenue of prospective buyers, but the minimalists are terrified of what this might do to their precious Viper "manhood".

Some claim that added gear would add to the costs of upkeep & repairs . . . when you are spending thousands to modify your Vipers anyway, what difference does it make. Bite the bullet on this. You bought a near $100,000 auto remember?

Best all around scenario . . . defeatable TC on all Vipers. Paddle shifted transmissions as an option. I SAID OPTION (hope you understand that meaning). R & D costs can be added into the cost of the "Optioned" paddle shift models.

Some minimalist purists are whining about the R & D costs for development. To engineer such a product (paddle shift transmission) would not break the bank so to speak. This technology has been around for many years. It was developed for the Chrysler ME-412 & was a highly respected system. There have also already been at least 2 Viper driving professional racing teams which have used Paddle Shifter gearbox/transmissions in their racing Vipers over in Europe, and this was a couple/few years back. One of those teams I know has now changed over to the 550/575 Maranello's. Point is, the system has already been used in SRT era Vipers in endurance road racing. Hmmm.

The minimalist/purist Viper owners are more willing to risk the viability of the entire Viper entity simply because of their die hard beliefs that the "Viper" was made for "only" them. Many of those die hards are not even owners of the current generation. I would even suspect that of the few hundred, heck, let's even say few thousand just to make a real point . . . that the few "thousand" die hard minimal purists out there, less than 20 have bought a Viper more frequently than 1 in every 3 years. How does the lineage of the Viper continue without continued sales? The minimalist purists are not going to be able to keep the sales alive enough to continue the line. Broadening the market to other potential buyers will keep the line alive. Closing the gap between a $180,000 plus used Lambo & Ferrari & Aston Martin will sell Vipers. The mimimalist purists can either hold on to their precious minimal Vipers, or they can buy a newer version with the "option" of standard manual, or upgraded "paddle shift" transmission. Did that really hurt? Of course not. Did it help to save a breed which has dying sales . . . perhaps, a very strong perhaps. It could even make an impact on European sales of the Viper . . . and why not . . . D of C is somewhat strong in Europe (duh).

Options. People are more willing to shop when there are more "OPTIONS". Let's face it, the whole of the "die hard minimalist purist" is very limited in its numbers. Most of "them" are all on here posting daily and you could probably count them easily at less than 200. How many other Viper owners are there though who have never been to this site and could really care less about what the Viper "purists" think? They are owners who liked the look of the Viper and its power, and just bought it. There are many times more of that kind of buyer than the minimalist purist buyer. They also typically, in my opinion, have way more money to burn. Those are the ones I would be more concerned with in sales if I were DC. The minimalist purist Viper owners would need to purchase at least 1, if not really 2 or 3 Vipers more likely, each year to keep the line alive over the next 3 - 6 years. That ain't going to happen.

Flame me; no suit and I don't care!!!

Well put. I remain amused and astonished at the misconceptions as regards the technology and its application.

First, no technology now employed in the automotive arena can or will make you a better driver. Not paddle shifters, not ABS, not traction/stability control. Nothing The only thing that will make you a better driver is training and experience. So the notion that adding a paddle shifter is somehow going to equalize Viper driving skill across the board by somehow dumbing down the car or make everyone or anyone for that matter fast at the track is bizarre. The average guy has no track experience. Giving him a sequential or DSG shifter is not going to turn him into Juan Montoya or anything remotely close any more than giving someone a modern automatic weapon in place of a revolver will transform them into a Navy Seal. What it will do, however, is two things. First, it will make those who love the look of the car but are disinclined or unable to drive a manual for whatever reason actually go out and buy one. This will improve the car’s business case and help ensure its survival. Ferrari’s take rate for their F1 style transmission is 80%. Ferrari still makes a manual but realizes that people need and like choices. The second thing is that it will make already good drivers that much faster because technology increases a car’s usable performance envelope and, in an application of the law of unintended consequences, actually makes a car more dangerous.

In previous similar discussions I have made the example of technology’s progress on military aircraft because the illustration is clearer. Military aircraft technology has come a long way in the last 50 years. But as the aircraft’s capabilities expanded the skill set needed to fly these increasingly sophisticated aircraft became more not less demanding.

Manual or paddle shifter makes no difference in the very real fact that, unlike any other sport on the planet, motor racing’s ability to maim and violently kill its participants is not diminished one whit. Viper race cars have used sequential shifters to deadly effect against their competition. But if we are to believe the "purists" the technology used in these winning Viper race cars is impure and the street cars are the real deal.

The current SRT-10 was never designed to have broad appeal and I am mystified at where the notion came from. On the contrary, the reason the Viper has struggled in the marketplace is precisely because it still has very limited appeal. Until recently the Viper never came as a coupe. With the debut of the coupe the car has finally reversed the year-over-year monthly sales slide and perked up a bit. But there are still no transmission choices, no side airbags, no power top, no traction/stability control, no Nav systems etc. like you will find on such cars as the F430, 997 Turbo, Z06, Gallardo etc. How then has the car become mainstream? Certainly not stylistically as there are few cars (maybe a Ford GT and/or a Murcielago) that can upstage an SRT-10. The car is not wanting for power as it can hold its own against anything on the market within twice its price. So if it looks great and has tremendous performance why does it not sell? Because, among other things, it has too few choices for the broader market that could easily support it in virtual perpetuity with room for all. Simply option (or not) the car the way you prefer.

Dang, I think we should write for Motor Week (well maybe moreso you than I). Very well written Sir.

I concur on your facts concerning Ferrari and its F1 system. When first introduced, the Ferrari Tifosi flat out refused to acknowledge such a contraption; they hated its whole notion. Now it's amusing to hear those same people who are driving F1's now & saying that they cannot believe what they first thought about it. The same has occured in the Lamborghini fold as well. I follow things over at www.ferrarichat.com for various reasons & it's comical how those die hard manual guys have all caved in now for the F1's. The F1 sales have skyrocketed for both companies as well as AM and others.

Personally, the idea of having an SMG/paddle shifter transmission would take a moreso "weekend" auto & turn it into a daily driver & that would be really nice. Being able to still control your shifts but not having a clutch pedal in traffic would be ohhh so nice.

From R & T - A Ferrari F430 with 100 HP less than the SRT-10, more gadgets, speeds equal to the SRT-10 (however faster on a track I strongly imagine) & really more fun to drive:

Our test car was fitted with the F1 paddle-shift gearbox (a traditional manual 6-speed is also offered) , with shifts now taking place in as little as 150 milliseconds. Ferrari stresses that this is the time for the complete shift, including the clutch-in/clutch-out time, and we found its operation to be greatly improved, from the smoothness of clutch take-up to the nearly hitch-free flow of power in the automatic mode.

We haven't even touched on another link to F1 technology, a small rotary switch on the steering wheel called the manettino that aces Schumacher and Barrichello would find familiar. Select one of its five detents according to available traction and/or bravery (Snow, Low Traction, Sport, Race or CST — the last turning off both yaw and traction controls and several systems adapt to suit. The manettino controls shift quickness of the F1 gearbox, shock valving, degree of traction- and yaw-control intervention, the rpm at which the twin exhaust bypass valves open (for more power and yet another rich tonal layer of exhaust pulsations) and the degree to which the E-Diff comes into play. This last piece, developed in the crucible of Formula 1 but now banned in racing, is a limited-slip differential whose clutch pack is hydraulically modulated and electronically controlled. Cleverly, it uses the same engine-driven hydraulic pump and accumulator as the F1 gearbox.

The proof is in the driving, and the F430 again took our breath away through the foothills south of the factory, culminating in a few glorious laps around the Fiorano circuit. Race mode on the manettino seemed ideal, with the quickest shifts enabled, electronic helpers reduced to a minimum and the E-Diff set for a little throttle-induced oversteer. Here, the F430 offers a driving experience that is quintessentially pure and direct, as much an extension of your will as any street-tire-equipped production car can be. Steering feels ideally weighted and is rich in road feedback, and the downforce that builds through high-speed sweepers makes the most of tires that seem slightly narrow for a car of such Herculean performance-225/35ZR-19s in front, 285/35ZR-19 rear. Brakes shrug off speed effortlessly, with only a few millimeters of pedal free play and a rock-hard feel past that.

Seems like with the driver being able to select so many options the car would require greater skill than less skill in reaching it's greatest potential. I wonder what an E-Diff system would be like on the Viper (not to be confused with paddle shift . . . it's totally different).

In it's past to current state, the Viper has always been a better "track" car than a "traffic" car. There are many Ferrari & Lamborghini owners who enjoy their cars more as daily drivers, having F1 paddle shifter transmissions, than those without. Those same cars with paddle shifters can hit the tracks on the weekends however and still tear it up just as well, if not better.

1. Options mean that no one is forced to buy what they don't want.
2. The R & D would not be great; it's already been used by Viper racing teams.
3. The costs are added for the options YOU choose.

If the purist minimalists want "their" Viper to remain minimal and anti-technology, maybe DC should just call it a day and rap it all up. There are 3 solid generations now of minimalist Vipers which can be tweaked to producing over 1,000 HP & that's the bulk of what they want anyhow. So what if DC should come out with a minimalist "no options" 4th generation with 600 HP; why should DC bother? Seems that most of the minimalist purists who argue against any technology derived upgrades are driving Gen I & II Vipers anyway. What happens if a Gen IV comes out, and "they" still don't like the styling . . . "it's not raw and aggressive enough like the Gen I & II's . . . but thanks for leaving it all minimal anyway; maybe Gen V, okay DC?"

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, no technology now employed in the automotive arena can or will make you a better driver. Not paddle shifters, not ABS, not traction/stability control.

How many paddle shifters miss a shift?

Much of winning a race is making fewer mistakes than the competition in fact, some would say "ALL of winning a race..." Chase somebody heel-n-toeing through 10 turns every lap and rev-matching and the odds of him missing a shift are a great deal more than some paddle shifter screwing up because of a bad manicure.

Coordinating two feet and two hands requires considerably more talent than flipping a pinky finger. Tech certainly DOES even the playing field by making mediocre drivers better.

And if you wanna talk ABS I've got some tires shaped like stop signs for you to take a look at.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If by options we are referring to factory options, IMHO that will only complicate the production of the Viper. Inventories of options, production line impact, dealers not knowing what is really available and on and on. All for what, 2500 per year. Options will only make the base vehicle without these options more expensive to absorb the costs of having the ability to be so flexible.

You are absolutely right. No small volume producer can handle complexity. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Porsche, TVR, Saleen, Corvette, Ford GT, etc. can seem to do it. Correct? So what the heck is it about the Viper that makes you think they cannot do what everyone else is able to do? For Chris sake the Viper is hand built today. You grab part A instead of B. What is the big deal? Hand built is extremely flexible.

Automotive aftermarket is the correct way to "option" as I previously stated. I pay for mine, you pay for yours.

Doing an aftermarket change like active handling, paddle shift etc. is exorbitantly expensive. It is not in the realm of the vast majority of buyers. Why not just ask it to be a 4 cylinder FWD and for those interested to modify it to V10 RWD. Just about as easy.

The Viper is what it is. Leave it alone!

Damn, that is almost exactly what Henry Ford said in the 20's (Model T instead of Viper) before he almost ran the company into the ground. Change is inevitible. Those who do not confront change will ...

If that means the "breed" dies, so be it. Something else will come along and take its place, or not, and the world keeps turning. Broadening the market will do the same thing, the "breed" will die anyway; unless you think an SL600 with a Viper package really keeps it alive whether or not it sells 10,000+ units a year.

That says it all. You would rather kill the Viper before changing it.

I however want the Viper to do what is necessary to survive and to thrive in the performance world. And in the year 2006 it needs more in order to compete. It is currently fighting a losing battle. Added features like active handling may not be the total answer, but they should be part of it. And yes, god forbid, I would like a GPS radio and satellite as factory equipped ( I mean they make optional radios for their other cars that fit right in the Viper so why not make them an option).

xanadu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, no technology now employed in the automotive arena can or will make you a better driver. Not paddle shifters, not ABS, not traction/stability control.

How many paddle shifters miss a shift?

Much of winning a race is making fewer mistakes than the competition in fact, some would say "ALL of winning a race..." Chase somebody heel-n-toeing through 10 turns every lap and rev-matching and the odds of him missing a shift are a great deal more than some paddle shifter screwing up because of a bad manicure.

Coordinating two feet and two hands requires considerably more talent than operating a pinky finger. Tech certainly DOES even the playing field by making mediocre drivers better.

Hence the reason why I said that Vipers are more a "track" car than a "traffic" car. It's a **** car to try to enjoy on a daily basis to & from the office while fighting traffic on I-10/I-95 every morning and evening, off to dinner or enjoying the company of a date while fighting the damned thing every second. If "paddle shifters" were AN O P T I O N some of us would be more happy to become more DAILY drivers, while the "purist minimalist" can opt out for anything but the standard "no frills" version & do whatever they want with it. I swear, the backwards thinking of the minimalist purist is just befuddling. You want more performance through HP so you can compete with the new Z06, but the thought of having a system which allows faster & more precise shifts is beyond comprehension to you. I would rather kick 500 HP PLUS Viper butt with a 400 HP F430 F1 or 360 Stradale around the track than get beat by a 100 HP (plus) LESS ride because I wanted to f e e l the manly work of fighting the Viper beast in its massive power. :rolleyes:

Having a manual transmission can be a lot of fun, that is the honest truth and I bet no one here would deny that. However, the fun is really mostly found at the track which is not congested with stop & go traffic, it has nice sweeping turns & no lights & stop signs or morons with the "boom boom boom I'm Gonna Get You Drunk" blasting so loud that they don't have a brain cell left & driving like a blind deaf person weaving crazy through the traffic.

Capisce?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No small volume producer can handle complexity. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Porsche, TVR, Saleen, Corvette, Ford GT, etc. can seem to do it.

Not for the same price as a Viper.

Pre-emptive strike: Vette? Really? Does this even need to be mentioned? More than 20,000 Vettes are produced every year. And they've been using the same V8 for 50 years so you can take them out of your ill-conceived sarcasm.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a **** car to try to enjoy on a daily basis to & from the office while fighting traffic on I-10/I-95 every morning and evening, off to dinner or enjoying the company of a date while fighting the damned thing every second. Capisce?

Yeah, it really *****. :rolleyes:

I've got over 100,000 miles "fighting the damned thing."

Capisce?

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many Z06's? And they make a unique frame, engine (which must mean unique control systems), body panels, etc. Their volume is in the same realm as the Viper. At most 2 times as many. No sarcasm intended.

They are doing one heck of a lot with the Z06. If DC made half that effort the Viper with its 8.3L would be leaps and bounds ahead. Unfortunately the Viper gains weight over time, while the competition is losing it. And while adding "features."

But this was just about complexity. As such I have yet to hear an honest to goodness reason why some complexity cannot be added in. And I mean more than the color stitching in the seats. Now that was sarcasm.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But this was just about complexity. As such I have yet to hear an honest to goodness reason why some complexity cannot be added in.

You've read it, it been stated a gazillion times, you just refuse to agree with it. That's your option (no pun intended).

Bottom line...
The purists bought the Viper knowing what it is and are happy.
The whiners bought the Viper and...I dunno, what were they thinking? Maybe they thought it was a Vett.

xanadu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said, the R & D would not be outragious since there have already been "paddle shift" transmissions used in racing Vipers. Larbre Competition was one team. Oreca I believe was the other, which incidentally, DC/Oreca did announce 2 months ago that Oreca would be piloting Vipers in racing environments again. Wonder if "paddle shift" transmissions will be used?

DC has extensive knowledge of these systems through its involvement with McLaren Mercedes F1, etc. DC also designed a incredible paddle shift system years ago with the ME 412.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I bought a Gen I back over a decade ago. And it was exactly what I wanted then. But at that moment in time it weighed less than a vette and made more power. There was simply no comparison. However, even then I wished for ABS as the Viper could not compete on braking terms. And at that time there were those that thought that ABS was offensive for a purist's performance car. Well, they were wrong then. The Viper endured 8 years of non-ABS history. It would have been regarded much higher by the motoring press (and me) if it would have launched with ABS.

My wishes and desires have changed through the years and I now do wish we had more "flexibility." Not just in the performance realm, but in general. Knowing there are over a thousand cars that were exactly the same as mine helps drive me to differentiate mine.

Do I want TC or active handling or paddle shift. Not necessarily. However, I feel that some or all of them should be available for those that do. After 11 years of driving Vipers, for more than 50,000 miles in all, I have yet to master the shifter. I take very slow shifts while dragging because of concerns of missed shifts. And unfortunately that is based on experience. About 1 in 3 passes is bad due to a missed shift (usually erring on the side of "safe" such as a 2-5 shift). Would my performance improve with a paddle shift. Absolutely. Would I take pleasure in the fact that a stock Viper improves it 1/4 mile times by a couple of tenths due to improved shifting. Yes.

Now on the road track the shifter is much less of an issue. But I would be more prone to upshifts on the higher speed straights and downshifts in the slower corners than I am today. Braking hard (and I mean ABS hard - I NEVER brake at a track without hitting ABS, except in light transitional situations).

Damn, I think I am talking myself into a paddle shift if one were available. Oh my!

I think I would like active handling for day to day driving. I can honestly say I have lost it on the street (twice doing the 360 hustle) when conditions were not perfect. It was the unexpected that bit me. It would have been nice if the car saved me those times. On the track I would probably turn it off as track conditions are more consistent and my intentions there are to refine my driving skills. So yes and no. I would like it for casual use but not for track use. So make mine selectable.

Now I really have no use whatsoever for traction control. I enjoy spinning the tires and kicking the rear end out. Helps to keep my blood flowing and my passengers in FEAR. So if they ever offer TC it must be defeatable, and with memory defeat. I do not want the hassle of turning it off every time I start the car. But having it on the car would not burden me if it is defeatable.

That brings me to other things that I do want, which reduce my desire to buy a new Viper more than once in a while. Having a navigation and satellite radio is a must for me. Simple option as they already offer a system in other cars. I also want real roll hoops. Wheels that have tire options in the market place, exhaust that does not cook eggs, etc. But those can wait for another thread.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many Z06's?

Any way you slice it the Z06 is an option from a 20,000-30,000 production model. It probably shares more than 70% of it's parts with the C6.

Not to argue on this point, but I would bet that they share less than 30% of parts by value/cost (so the fasteners don't bias the count).

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THE BOTTOM LINE:

The Heritage of the Viper is this: It is a purist car, raw, unapologetic, a car meant to be a race car for the road. It takes talent to drive well not technology.

This has been what it was designed for from the beginning. This is the vipers Heritage. I think its heritage is an asset not a liability.

I think there are CRAZY people such as myself that want a car that is a pure driver’s car. And I have proof. It's in my garage. My car was sold easily (probably over MSRP) along with over a 1,000 other cars that year. It has no roll up windows, no AC, no ABS, no cruise control, and no paddle shifters. I think just about everyone here has proof in there garage that this niche car can sell. All in all there are around 20,000 vipers in our garages all attesting to this. I hope there will be 20,000 more made with the same heritage.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early93Viper - May there be tens of thousands of comparable people out there because if you have not purchased another since 1993 you are not helping keep the Viper alive. What will keep it going are sales, and sales alone. The original Shelby did not last long either - ran out of people wanting a car that had only one intention. And that was one that outperformed its competition handily.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early93Viper - May there be tens of thousands of comparable people out there because if you have not purchased another since 1993 you are not helping keep the Viper alive. What will keep it going are sales, and sales alone. The original Shelby did not last long either - ran out of people wanting a car that had only one intention. And that was one that outperformed its competition handily.

I don't have the means necessary to buy a new viper. And I am very happy with mine. But I think there are likeminded people with more financial pull and I think they will love an alternative to the numb, technology full, cars of today.

xanadu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting article:

Copy / Paste Below the link, you choose.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/content/11409729731880944331/

DSG: Stick Shift RIP

26 February 2006
By Robert Farago

If you were going to invent a way to control an automobile, you wouldn’t ask the average driver to develop the skill and coordination of a church organist. Note I said “average.” As far as ******** automotive enthusiasts and skilled pipe organ players are concerned, there’s nothing more natural or satisfying than making beautiful music with a sublime dance of hands and feet. Yes, well, the average person would rather drive an automatic and download an iTune. Pistonheads and pipe worshippers may sneer, but if the majority of humans didn’t take the path of least resistance our species would still be stuck in the trees. Meanwhile, just as digital sound has invaded God’s house and rocked the organist’s world, Audi’s DSG transmission is here and tripedalists are toast.

The day F1 racing cars switched to paddle shift control, the clutch pedal was doomed. Only the paddle system's violence kept the left pedal from a date with old Sparky. Ferrari’s ground-breaking attempts at a passenger paddler were representative rubbish; the clunky F1 system transformed the sublime F355 into a herky-jerky one-track pony. Other early systems were equally obtrusive, equally foul. At the same time, style conscious high-end manufacturers added wheel-mounted button shifts and gate activated “tip shifts.” Although the technology simply handed customers slushbox control, computers eventually transformed the systems into a reasonably convincing halfway house between mindless ease and endless excitement.

Aston's Vanquish got closer to the real deal. If drivers tapped its over-sized plus paddle at the exact right rpm, the V12 GT rewarded them with a perfectly timed gear change. If not, not. Other systems followed: Ferrari, Maserati, BMW, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, even Toyota (MR2 Spyder). All of these paddle shifters downshift magnificently-- even blipping the throttle on your behalf-- but they either slur their upchanges like a drunk handing you a cigarette or smack you in the back of the head like a sadistic schoolteacher. And that’s without considering the challenges of around town ambling or, God forbid, reverse (a non-issue for F1, obviously).

And then BorgWarner and Volkswagen AG developed DSG. The direct shift gearbox (DSG) features two wet plate clutches: one engages the odd-numbered gears, the second the even-numbered gears. When the first clutch is putting down the power, a computer readies the second clutch to engage the next gear (pre-selected according to engine revs and speed). When the driver bangs the paddle for another gear or the automatic calls for another cog, the first clutch is released and the second engages. Gear shifts are fast, smooth and accurate; both up and down the ratios. The DSG’s computer-- complete with 12 sensors-- stands guard against “inappropriate” gear selection; an over-twitchy paddle shifter can’t stall or blow up the engine.

OK rivet counters: Volksie didn’t invent the double clutch. Citroen offered something similar over 70 years ago, and Porsche’s formidable 962 racer also gave it a go. But VW and BorgWarner have just about perfected the DSG. (The only drawbacks are a certain sluggishness when gently tipping-in and a slight hesitation when lifting off and paddling down more than one gear, as the DSG shuffles through the intervening ratios.) Even with its quirks, the DSG rules-- to the point where the clutch pedal and traditional manual gearbox is a mechanical redundancy, a dead device shifting. In fact, any car manufacturer who doesn’t have a DSG or something similar installed in their performance-oriented products will soon be at a tremendous disadvantage.

And here’s where the culture wars begin. Two years ago, Bob Elton’s editorial “Death to the Stick Shift” suggested that cars equipped with an automatic gearbox were safer, more reliable and more pleasurable than their manual equivalents. Enthusiasts considered the proposition a personal affront. Two years of flame mail leads me to conclude that stickshifters-- a self-selecting community of motorists who cherish the skill and pleasure that only a manual transmission can provide-- consider autoboxers less competent, safe and passionate. Many of these tripedalists will not take kindly to the DSG; it’s a bridge from the know-nothing rabble to the self-proclaimed automotive elite. The barbarians are at the shift gate; The Volkswagen Group has unlocked the door.

It will be some time before this issue plays out, but the stickshifters will lose. Once they get behind the wheel of a DSG-equipped machine like the new Audi A3 or the VW R32, even the hardiest of these manual transmission diehards will understand the system’s clear superiority; in terms of speed, safety and, most importantly of all, enjoyment. Eventually, the tide will turn. Automakers will be forced to buy "dual clutch transmission" technology from BorgWarner or their partner Getrag, or develop something at least as good. Of course, there will still be enthusiasts who stick with the stick, for personal pride and sensual satisfaction. In the meantime, a quick message from Paddle Shifters Anonymous to open-minded automotive enthusiasts: get ready for some serious fun.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ment with McLaren Mercedes F1, etc. DC also designed a incredible paddle shift system years ago with the ME 412.

The ME412 is where all the nannytechs should go on... heck, I'd buy one to sit next to my Viper.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quoteSeems like with the driver being able to select so many options the car would require greater skill than less skill in reaching it's greatest potential. I wonder what an E-Diff system would be like on the Viper (not to be confused with paddle shift . . . it's totally different).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't really believe that the average salesperson will understand how an E-Diff, Yaw control, TC control, paddle shifter, etc works. In the end, a buyer will say " give me a loaded one" The options will go underutilized and in the end are a waste of money.

Most buyers don't race or even change their own oil. F1 options should be left on F1 race cars. In racing, there is a team of mechanics sponsors pay to keep all that high tech functing long enough to finish the race. It is not stuff that could work flawlessly for 100k miles. There is a lot to be said for the reliability of Vipers today because of the low tech that they have. Viper owners have something to brag about when Chuck 98 said his Viper easily made it to 100k miles.

It is not enjoyable to have to always take your car in for service when all that tech eventually mallfunctions. :bonker:

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ment with McLaren Mercedes F1, etc. DC also designed a incredible paddle shift system years ago with the ME 412.

The ME412 is where all the nannytechs should go on... heck, I'd buy one to sit next to my Viper.

ya, when you become a billionaire :D :D

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting article:
DSG: Stick Shift RIP

When people think RIP... THAT'S the reason it should stay on the Viper. :2tu:

I don't know why the nannynags are even whining. They will get their way sooner or later, and the rest of us will move on. All this justifying of their gadgets is just a cover for their insecurities for needing it to begin with.

I had always been a purist, but right before I got my Viper, my best friend wrecked his from all that power, putting a little fear in me. Because of that, I wanted ABS, TC, and automatic. I decided to go to Skip Barber, learned the fundementals, and bought a 97GTS. No ABS, TC, or auto.... no problem! :2tu:

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot believe this thread is STILL here!I haven't heard this much mitching and boaning since the last "why doesn't DC do something about beating the nasty Vette" or the last "let's all bash the SRT" threads!How many times does it need to be said that the Viper is not designed to appeal to everyone,and never was?What part of "nannytech doesn't belong on a Viper" do some of you not understand?If you did not care to put in the effort required to tame the beast,why on earth did you buy a Viper in the first place;what did you think it was,a fashion statement,perhaps?I'm not one who enjoys flaming people,but give me a break from all your whining!I don't have anywhere near the track credentials of Chuck or a lot of others here;I just enjoy the occaisional track day or autocross,but I work on learning to control the Snake(that's right,the heel-and-toe downshifts,feathering the brake and throttle,all of it)and you know what-it's made me a better driver than I ever was before,in the Viper or any other car.I have zero problems driving the Viper in traffic,and the only reason I don't take it everywhere is because it's simply a bit too conspicuous(a problem which all the nannytech in the world won't cure,thank God)!If you want the car to drive like a ****Ferrari,then by all means buy a Ferrari.If you want the car to drive like a Vette,then for heaven's sake,buy a vette!BTW,if you are somehow under the illusion that the active handling in the Z06 will bail you out of a stupid mistake with 500+ hp,go fling one around an autocrosss course with the A/H engaged and see if you can get it to swap ends-you will find that task very easy to accomplish!If you want to come to terms with the Snake,put a modicum of effort into the process,and ye shall be rewarded.Otherwise,please buy whatever car your little hearts desire,and take your whining attitude and your bottle of wine and your quiche out to the country club pool deck,where you may continue to sulk among those who might actually give a ****!On second thought,given the childish attitudes displayed by some of you,perhaps it would be more appropriate to suggest that you go out to the garden and eat worms. Somehow,I doubt that most of us neananderthals really care what you do!It's not us primitives the Viper needs to be rescued from,it's YOU,because if you get your way,the only thing Viper about the car will be the name! And to think you call US whiners! :buttkick:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be some time before this issue plays out, but the stickshifters will lose. Once they get behind the wheel of a DSG-equipped machine like the new Audi A3 or the VW R32, even the hardiest of these manual transmission diehards will understand the system’s clear superiority; in terms of speed, safety and, most importantly of all, enjoyment. Eventually, the tide will turn.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The same was said about ABS but the tide is turning BACK. F1 did away with it. Why? Why does the pinnacle of racing tech NOT have ABS? In light of that move it wouldn't surprise me if Michael, Kimi, Fernando and gang had to step on a clutch pedal one of these days.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
D a m n. That was a lot of $hit to read. My .02. The '99 added too much tech for me with the electric mirrors and trunk release. Do whatever you want with the Gen 4 so that the car does the driving. I'm keeping my brutal '98. I'm just glad that I have a car that I drive myself and FEEL mechanically connected to while doing so. To me high tech in cars is boring, easy and mentally and physically numbing. Call me crazy but every time I nail an up-shift or match revs when downshifting by blipping the throttle myself, engaging the clutch and banging out a perfect shift while one handing the steering wheel...I smile. :D Pushing or pulling a paddle with a finger while keeping one foot on a dead pedal...repeat DEAD pedal :p ...while the other one maintains it's position on the electronic go pedal gives me no reason to FEEL like smiling. Why? Because I didn't do $hit. The technically advanced ENTHUSIAST car did it! Question....what is there to FEEL ENTHUSIASTIC about? Probably 50 to 75 years from now people will be riding in totally computer controlled boxes with nice quiet electric motors providing propulsion that are spaced automatically by on-board radar and following wire guided roadways at controlled set speeds. :( Keep the technology and progress coming....you can have it. Fortunately I'll be dead by then. :smirk:

RS27J9A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are absolutely right. No small volume producer can handle complexity. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Porsche, TVR, Saleen, Corvette, Ford GT, etc. can seem to do it. Correct? So what the heck is it about the Viper that makes you think they cannot do what everyone else is able to do? For Chris sake the Viper is hand built today. You grab part A instead of B. What is the big deal? Hand built is extremely flexible.

It boggles the mind how moronic your post is.

Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, Saleen and Porsche can offer these systems all because of one reason. Profit margins. Do you have any idea how much these things are marked up??? A hell of a lot more than a Viper is. As for the Vette, they make 30K+ a year. Economies of scale ring a bell?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ya, when you become a billionaire :D :D

If there's hope for you getting a Viper in your garage, then sky's the limit for me. :p

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably 50 to 75 years from now people will be riding in totally computer controlled boxes

Who knows? If in 1976 somebody said Dodge would be building a 505 c.i.d. V10 with horrible gas mileage and no automatic people would have told them they were crazy.

The same response we're getting today. :)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Automobile manufacturer owners are businessmen, and they will give you what you need when they need too. Viper owners are used to being on top of the performance hill. They’ll let everyone get worked up about the C6-Z06 and then up the Vipers HP, and everyone will be scrambling to buy the undisputed champ. IMO When the market demands paddle shifter on a 600+HP Viper, DC will put them on it.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It boggles the mind how moronic your post is.

Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, Saleen and Porsche can offer these systems all because of one reason. Profit margins. Do you have any idea how much these things are marked up??? A hell of a lot more than a Viper is. As for the Vette, they make 30K+ a year. Economies of scale ring a bell?

Damn, you are absolutely right. It takes a mere fortune in investment to install radio A instead of B, and only those other companies can do it. Certainly not in the cheapest Chrysler car available. Oh, no, that is not right. The Viper is the ONLY Chrysler that you do not have a radio option.

As for the others things like active handling, yes there would be development costs. But the basic hardware exists for other DC vehicles and only would need tweaking for use in the Viper. And who knows, maybe it would drive a 4 channel ABS system and you would get improved/steadier braking as a side benefit.

The only one that would be expensive, and thus not economically viable, would be the paddle shift as there are no paddle shifted Chryslers to date.

And it boggles my mind how moronic your post was!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What boggles my mind is why some of you guys aren't working for multi-billion dollar manufacturing companies explaining the simplicity and negligible glitches of implementing all of these already developed products at nearly zero expense.

I mean jeeze, I know a guy that twin turbo'd his VTEC in his garage why can't a mega company?

/sarcasm