Paint or coating for garage floor

Prfgdwrnch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the process of putting up a new building for car storage and need suggestions for a coating or paint to be used on the concrete floor. The coating would need to resist the usual automotive fluids and have good wear characteristics. One concern is that the coating not "pickup" on the tires if a car is parked on it for an extended period. I have seen the Rustoleum ads for UCOAT-IT.
I would like to hear opinions from people who have actual long term experience with garage floor coatings.
Thanks

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had the Rustoleum 2-part epoxy for garage floors from Home Depot for 1-1/2 years on my floor and it has held up extremely well.

I've since painted my shop floor, my in-laws garage and my brother-in-laws garage. My boss painted his garage floor with it. All of us like the finish, it's inexpensive, easy to apply and has held up well, although it has been relatively short term so far. I've had the gamut of fluids on it and the only thing that has had any effect on it was PVC pipe cleaner with the purple dye. The dye left purple circles on the floor where it dripped. Other than that no problems.

Preparation is the key to making it last.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Procoat / U Coat paint on my garage floors. They have been great to work with. Over the years they have repainted it 2 times for free.

You must be registered for see images

VENM8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At work we use several types of "carboline", it is a commerical/professional paint brand. It has worked really well considering what extremes the arctic weather and mine equipment does to punish it on a regular basis.
Use "sanitile 945". It can be applied like regular paint or mixed with aggregate and then applied up to 1/4" thick.

Here is a pdf file on a compound specifically made for concrete floors:
http://www.carboline.com/website/carbopdf.nsf/webview/08242672D645E95E85256D4A00598CC6/$file/Sanitile+945+PDS+8-03.pdf

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a spray on coating applied to my floor (similatr to the stuff they use on bedliners for pickups). Its awesome but it wasnt cheap. Its been holding up well thus far but its only been 2 years.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Griots garage paint a year ago.

No complaints...application was tricky only in that I had to stash the toys at a friends house for a week so the paint had time to cure. :)

PM me for pics/info in you have questions...

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew - Yep it's a garage better know as the Viper Pit. The Vipers were moved to the right side of the garage just out of view for our Viper regions holiday party.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i used the 100% solids epoxy floor coating, the same thing that car dealers and factories use to protect floors. If you use this make sure there is some kind of traction material addeed, my guy used glass beads(very very small) to texture the floor. mine has been down for 4 yrs and no probs. look in you phone book for industrial floor coatings or ask a few car dealers who did their write up/ service area. get a few prices beacause these guys were all over the place when i priced it out. also make sure the floor is level, or get it leveled w/ floor leveler to make sure there is no low spots. not cheap but very durable, not even a crack in that time.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about to put Valspar two-part epoxy down on my shop floor (from Lowes). I chose it over Rustoleum as it was not water based like Rustoleum and it was tintable (I chose "Beach Comber" tan).

I did a lot of research and several folks used this brand in their airplane hangers with great success.

Prepping has been a chore, to this point I have spent three times the cost of the paint on materials for prepping the floor. Since the shop had been used, most of the effort has gone into taking the oil off/out of the floor. Degreasing, power washing, acid etching and neutralizing all required BEFORE painting. Equipment includes a power washer (which I had) safety goggles, rubber boots and gloves. I look like I'm set up for chemical warfare when cleaning and etching :) I also bought an assortment of scrub brushes and squegees (to get all the water out of the garage!) and a big pedestal fan to dry the floor.

The U-Coat-It kit comes with a lot of these items.... but based on what I'm going through, I would say you'd need to buy a few suplimental items, even if you go with U-Coat-It

Right now I'm patiently waiting for the weather to warm up enough for me to put down the paint. All other work on the shop is waiting on the floor's completion.

If I could afford it, I'd have the floor bead blasted instead of acid etching, and I'd use a high build commercial 100% epoxy like mentioned in one of the other posts... sherwin Wiliams industrial coatings and many others make a pretty indestructable coating..... serious $$$ though. If you want to see a few links to other manufacturers, stop into the Ultimate Garage in the Marketplace.

RaceDeck would be much easier ;)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put down 12"X12" Vinyl flooring in my 12FTX24FT single. Total cost was $180, looks great................... for now. I will see how it wears in the coming years.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you used is commercial vinyl tiles (1/8" thick), it will be tough as nails, and if waxed properly will do a pretty good job of not absorbing oil. Many of those "Checkered Flag" floors seen in garages are done with this sort of tile. This grade of tile is pretty expensive, but wears like iron. Even with this tile, one issue is adhesive degradation, from oil *********** in seams and from tire heat.

If you did a 12' x 24' garage for $180 with this grade of commercial tile, you got a great deal. Be sure to properly wax it, or the oil will get in the seams and do what I mention above.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW my floor guy did shot blast the floor and fill any cracks and divots w/ a mixture the (2 part)100% epoxy and fly ash. my 24' x 39' cost me alittle over $1,200 including a few other small areas(mechanial and storage room). about the only thing that will mess up the floor is a sharp tool or similar scratching the floor, or acetone and if left alone to evaporate(not wiped or smeared) this will not damage the floor. the price i got was cash job price and i am a builder also, seems cheap compared to other prices i have heard

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My garage is tiled with vinyl just like a car dealers showroom floor.Lay it right from the center out.(that is after patching cracks etc).Wax and buff.If a tile gets screwed up then remove and glue down a new one from the leftovers you have.CHEAP,Works,good looking,easy to replace a tile if necessary,your choice of colors or patterns.Insulates and seals the floor. Bruce