Paint or not to paint?

bgibson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Black 1994 RT/10 that I am thinking about selling. But before I do, I want to get input on whether I should consider re-painting the vehicle first.

I made a real bad move of backing my 2nd car in to the stall next to the Viper at a bad angle last winter and scraped some of the paint just above the left back wheel. I was hoping it would buff out, but it wont.

In additon, I have "spidered" paint areas on the hood and there is paint that has worn on the "roll bar" area behind the head rests.

I am just not sure whether it would be best to get the car painted first, or just try to sell the car as-is and take in to consideration that someone else would have the expense.

Other than these few items, the car looks great.

I would appreciate everyones input.

Thanks,

Brett

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more that has to be done to the car the smaller the group of buyers will be. On the other hand do you really think you will be happy selling the car after sinking money into it? How fast do you want to sell it?

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you have someone that can paint the car for $2000 or less go for but if it's more "which I believe it will be much more" than leave it alone cause for a 94 even if you spend $20K on the paint it's still a 94 and will only get you what a clean 94 goes for...I'd leave it alone and sell the way it is...

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the damaged areas repaired. A good shop can blend those areas without needing to paint the whole car.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the damaged areas repaired. A good shop can blend those areas without needing to paint the whole car.

This is the best course economically. Painting the whole car correctly will likely lose you $5K overall. Painting it poorly will be a disservice to the new owner and evident in about 18 months.

Correcting the bad stuff can be done well (the rear quarters are easy to take off and work on) so you're not losing money, folks aren't put off by a scratch or stress crack, and the buyer isn't gunning for you in 18 months! Good luck with it.

OP
OP
B

bgibson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The car has 45,000 miles or so on it. As far as how fast I want to sell it, I can't say that I am that motivated. I have told myself for three years that I am ready to sell it, but then I can't seem to get myself to post it when the summer rolls around and I drive it again. :) But I think this might be the year.

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would not paint it if you are going to sell, as a buyer I would think you are trying to hide something. Show the car the way it is but have a guote from the body shop to show the purchaser what it would cost to bring it back to like new.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not paint it if you are going to sell, as a buyer I would think you are trying to hide something. Show the car the way it is but have a guote from the body shop to show the purchaser what it would cost to bring it back to like new.

Yehp, that's what I would prefer if I was a prospective buyer! Someone might buy it that has their own ability to touch it up, and I like the idea of knowing it wasn't
painted to possibly cover something up.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take before pics of the areas you want to fix, drive it this year,decide next year if you still want to sell. If the buyer has a good eye and points out the repaint, then show him the before pictures you took.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as you paint the car, you will come across buyers looking for a different colored Viper!.

Just fix it up. You might be driving it yourself for a while : >)

After getting the paint touched up, treat yourself to a full detail. You, and your Viper deserve it.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you just inherited a good track car! Now you can have some real fun with it without all that worry. :drive: :burnout:

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very very few buyers would be willing to buy an "honest" damaged car and have to get it repaired. Most buyers would rather have it ready to drive when they write the check.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ Big fan of the gen 1. I love 'em and drive mine often. A black R/T with a few dings and scuffs doesn't bother me a bit and shouldn't bother you either (it's an 18 year old car).

Just honestly represent the car when you advertise it (or PM me like 99RT/10 suggests). Guys will be really pissed if they buy plane fare just to find a car with a scuffs and marks. The hood is not a cheap fix IMO, the paint needs to be stripped and re-done (I know). As for the quarter, well, you see it we don't. Post a pic, put in the classifides and you'll find your buyer if you wwant to sell. Otherwise, you have a great driver!! Keep enjoying it!

(I admit to being the guy who wants a great deal on a good driving viper. I really don't care if it has a few scuffs.)