Painted dash? Pics?

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've all of the plastic panels out of my car for paint. I initially wanted it painted black but after seeing the pic below I don't think it will look very nice...I know some of you have painted your dash and I would like to see some pics of how it turned out.

You must be registered for see images

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had to paint mine, I would probably go with a matte or satin black. I'm not a big fan of the glossy dashes.

Alcantera or suede is always a nice posibility.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey 97snk, watch this video, there is a few good glimpses of the dash painted to match the body and IMO looks great. I think if you are to paint the dash go white for the best effect. White stitching on the black leather, white dash carried into the door handle section with updated 2000+ door handles and black door panel with the door pull middle section area in white

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caVNM-GiREE[/media]

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm planning on painting my dash bezel and the door pieces in bright red. I made an overlay piece for the top of the dash since you can't remove it from the car. This way the entire dash will be painted.

Even though white would be your best color choice, the reflection on your windshield will be a nightmare!

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not trying to be sarcastic, wouldnt you get the same type of reflection with a red, how would white be any worse?

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey 97snk, watch this video, there is a few good glimpses of the dash painted to match the body and IMO looks great. I think if you are to paint the dash go white for the best effect. White stitching on the black leather, white dash carried into the door handle section with updated 2000+ door handles and black door panel with the door pull middle section area in white

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caVNM-GiREE[/media]

That was your car? Man you know how many times I've watched that video? :rolaugh:

--RS

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not trying to be sarcastic, wouldnt you get the same type of reflection with a red, how would white be any worse?

White will be a lot brighter than red because of the contrast of the white. The red would have a slightly darker tint to it reducing the glare.

It's like walking through a field of snow when the sun is out. I just think it would be an eye sore when driving.

I have white leds for my guage lights and I've driven without the dash bezel and just the reflections of the lights made it hard to see out the windshield, and the lights were on dim.

Place a piece of white notebook paper on your dash and see what kind of reflections you get. :dunno:

It might not be all that bad with just the bezel painted depends on the angle.

It could be something like this if it's to bright. Although the top of the dash is painted and not just the bezel.

You must be registered for see images attach

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i understand now, I could see that being a issue and good example with the white notepad, but that just might be a sacrifices you make for fashion, i think white would look so good, as you mentioned if you leave the top back part of the dash black may reduce the glare.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i understand now, I could see that being a issue and good example with the white notepad, but that just might be a sacrifices you make for fashion, i think white would look so good, as you mentioned if you leave the top back part of the dash black may reduce the glare.

Oh trust me, I'm all for it! :lmao:

I just think it might be to more than what he wants. I have a red Dodge Ram and my dash is fully painted and there is some glare, but tinting the windshield really helped :cool:

:2tu:

My Viper dash will be all red next year.

OP
OP

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My interior is red/black so white or red won't look right. I've to stick to all black. I m doing every plastic piece inside, not just the dash. Here's a pic of my interior for reference...

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks great the way it is! why the change? I would say stay away from the suede it will make the intior look to mix matched. wrap in leather or paint in matte if you have to change.

OP
OP

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks great the way it is! why the change? I would say stay away from the suede it will make the intior look to mix matched. wrap in leather or paint in matte if you have to change.

You can't see it in the pic but there's scratch marks all over the dash. The thin layer of coating is coming off as the car ages...

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, just my 2-cents here but as it is, on a sunny day, I get glare off my stock GenII dash to the point where it is really difficult to see anything. I can't imagine how much more glare you would get if the dash was gloss anything!

Looks is one thing, but practicality I would rank a little higher...unless you live in Norway, where the nighttime is around 6 months! (I think that's Norway) Then you could store it the other (sunny) 6 months!

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My interior is red/black so white or red won't look right. I've to stick to all black. I m doing every plastic piece inside, not just the dash. Here's a pic of my interior for reference...

Wow that interior is sick :2tu::2tu::2tu:

racerjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a couple pics of my dash, it was painted by the previous owner, I like it except for the glove box door. it needs done as well.

It does have some glare to it but i thought it was stock when i first bought the car.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't find anyone local who can wrap or I m stuck with paint...

If you really did want it wrapped you could do a core exchange but I would go painted anyway. I have seen a few dashes around my area (non-vipers) that were "scuffed" then painted and it gives a really awesome custom look without a glare.

OP
OP

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you really did want it wrapped you could do a core exchange but I would go painted anyway. I have seen a few dashes around my area (non-vipers) that were "scuffed" then painted and it gives a really awesome custom look without a glare.

I couldn't get in touch with the shop painting my dash sooner, they have already painted it glossy black so I guess I've no other option...I'll post pics once it's installed in the car...

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not send it in and have them wrap it in Carbon Fiber. I bet that would look awesome. Would still have glare but wow. Have't seen that on an early Gen 1 yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave