Painted Stripes cost?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone care to share what the cost of having painted stripes put on is? Im just thinking out loud..... about getting it done?

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone care to share what the cost of having painted stripes put on is? Im just thinking out loud..... about getting it done?

For a quality job it would be around $2,000-$3,000. To have the stripes painted on my 98 GTS and reclear all the striped panels was $2,500 and you could not feel the edge of the stripe.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OUCH!! Are you serious!!! I think I will keep my money!:( I'm not wanting them that bad.

You spent all that money on mods and are afraid of stripes cost?????:dunno:
Paint materials these days isn't cheap............:2tu:

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You spent all that money on mods and are afraid of stripes cost?????:dunno:
Paint materials these days isn't cheap............:2tu:

I like my car without strips and was thinking out loud before I spent time photo shopping them on and see if I like it. Cost of that much for some painted lines is like giving up 4 track events or a VOI trip. If it was 1000-1500 yea I can justify that. Didnt figure it was all that much. Ohh well.:smirk:

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had pearl white stripes added to my 94. It's amazing how much it will change to looks of the car. It cost around $2,500 but I had the front facia completely repainted as well because of chips in the paint. It takes time you just can't throw tape and paint on it. It was well worth it for the overall looks of the car.

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally dependant on regional area.

Very true, but it is worth the cost. This is a job you want done right and the cost is in the labor.

Some before and after pics of my old GTS.

You must be registered for see images

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can buy pre-cut vinyl stripes from Jon B @ PartsRack for a few hundred dollars, and atleast see if you like it, then later decide to invest in permanent painted ones.
I had mine painted on (one driver's stripe) by Bernie Katz's body shop in Houston for about $1500.

Chris23120

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the factory stripes clear coated?

I had a 99 ACR with stripes and they appeared to be cleared, but only on the stripe. I was shocked to see that the factory stripes had a pretty good edge, almost the same as vinyl. When i was recenlty selling my 2000, I had a pretty serious buyer who wanted to have the same place that does the new ones strip mine and found out it cost $6,000 for them to put silver on my solid red car, according to him. He may have been trying to get me to lower my price, but i had other buyers so i just told him it would be cheaper to find a stripped car and add blower, exhaust, wheels... Considering the cost you would think they would get a premium on resale but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least in the two vipers i bought/sold this past year.

Last edited:

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good to know the price is around 2,500 so when im ready i don't flinch when i get the estimate. :crazy2:
I will do it pretty soon. :)

pattymelt3605 and Leslie car looks bad ass!

What rims are on your car pattymelt3605?

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the factory stripes clear coated?

Factory stripes are clear coated, but the entire panel is not (meaning that you will feel the edge of the stripes, the stripes are NOT buried). I paid $1,200 for my stripes to be painted to OEM specs. Meaning that you can feel the edges just like a factory-striped Viper, and the stripes start and stop at the same points on every panel. I even had them black out the back panel to the same texture as from the factory. This shop deals with Ferarri's, Lambo's, Porsches, etc. but had never striped a Viper before, so he honored the quote, but wouldn't be able to duplicate it for that price. There are deals out there, just have to find it.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...09-viper-white-stripes-08-gts-blue-coupe.html

As a note, the most labor intensive part about striping the Viper is laying the stripes out, taking measurements, and aligning the stripes between the panels. If a stripe is not 100% straight, it is noticeable when you look. If a bodyshop can use a laser to lay the stripes down or has a template (like Prefix), then it should be a quick job.

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to know the price is around 2,500 so when im ready i don't flinch when i get the estimate. :crazy2:
I will do it pretty soon. :)

pattymelt3605 and Leslie car looks bad ass!

What rims are on your car pattymelt3605?

Thanks! :) The wheels are 19" HRE 547R.

I had them reclear the entire striped panel and you could not feel the edge of the stripe, that is why I paid more.

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so let me play Devils Advicate here. Why not just do Vinyl? If Factory has an edge and so does vinyl? Cost less, I would assume looks as good as painted if installed professionaly? Is it just the idea its a vinyl overlay that hangs people up or is there something to having them painted on? Vinyl could be nice because when I get the track/road rash on the front its just a repaint and new vinyl and not a repaint strips ordeal too? :dunno:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so let me play Devils Advicate here. Why not just do Vinyl? If Factory has an edge and so does vinyl? Cost less, I would assume looks as good as painted if installed professionaly? Is it just the idea its a vinyl overlay that hangs people up or is there something to having them painted on? Vinyl could be nice because when I get the track/road rash on the front its just a repaint and new vinyl and not a repaint strips ordeal too? :dunno:

Mine is clearcoated across both stripes and the center, so there isn't an edge, only on the outside of both stripes..and that is even buffed. If I get a chip it's just like the rest of the car, touch up paint.

I think most people prefer vinyl because it's affordable and it's reversable. I planned on doing the same but got a deal on paint that was as affordable as the vinyl install. I am glad I painted, I know if I ever removed my vinyl I would probably have to repaint anyway.

If you want a committed stripe, just shoot me a pm and I can give you my guy's info, just saying he might come closer to a vinyl install $$$ than you would think.

ANY way you decide, STRIPE IT!!! wow it's like having a new Viper, and it's soooo...identifiable as a Viper:headbang:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vinyl stripes can't follow the contours of the front bumper and the ram air, typically. This is more difficult on the 08 hoods as well, since the center section is raised higher than the Gen III hoods. That and they don't taper (except Jon B's kit). If I could have found someone capable of vinyl striping it (like factory) and wrapping the rear bumper in flat black like factory, I would have done it.

Chris23120

Enthusiast
Reaction score

depends on color. Vinyl can duplicate flat black, gloss black, white, fine but my silver painted stripes had metallic which you cannot duplicate with vinyl.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I think is ironic is that the factory charges $3k or so to do the stripes - and they do so many of them that I'll bet it costs them half of what an independent shop would incur in labor charges. On my GTS, the stripes have a definite edge to them, and you can feel the transition from blue-to-white, but that adds to the charm.

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
long term vinyl on a paint job may withstand the elements, but when you do take it off, you may get a slightly brighter area of paint (where the vinyl stripes were at) that hasn't faded like the rest of the car.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not entirely true... There are a number posts here on this board with pics of metallic vinyl stripes... The difference is that the base solid colors have better UV resistance than the metallics. They don't really reccommend metallic vinyls for horizontal applications on cars that are not garaged. If your Viper is a daily driver than solid black, white or gray are best in vinyl. The metallic vinyls are really only practical for garaged fair weather cars from what I am being told.

depends on color. Vinyl can duplicate flat black, gloss black, white, fine but my silver painted stripes had metallic which you cannot duplicate with vinyl.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine has vinyl graphite stripes on a silver GTS. The vinyl has metalic in it as well. Looks like paint until you feel the edge. Amazing what they can do with a good vinyl these days.

Chris23120

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Thats good to know for my next viper purchase. Mine are always garraged, no foul weather so wear is not an issue. But after seeing that white with black stripe gen II i am leaning towards finding a wrecked forged motor car with hood damage so i can run a diamond back hood, kenne bell/Roe 3.6 blower cause i am addicted to the power delivery of a Roe Viper, and that white/black is the best looking Gen II i've ever seen.:D

This is not entirely true... There are a number posts here on this board with pics of metallic vinyl stripes... The difference is that the base solid colors have better UV resistance than the metallics. They don't really reccommend metallic vinyls for horizontal applications on cars that are not garaged. If your Viper is a daily driver than solid black, white or gray are best in vinyl. The metallic vinyls are really only practical for garaged fair weather cars from what I am being told.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note that most of the posts against vinyl are by people who do not have vinyl on their cars.

Take it from someone who has them, IF DONE PROPERLY vinyl fits and forms perfectly to the Viper lines and they look awesome.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red Snake,
Do your stripes go all the way through the NACA duct?
If so, PM me a pic.

The top of my NACA duct is done but not the inside. You can see it in this pic (Lots more including hi res in my gallery).

0091.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4