Painting a GEN 1 dash

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here personally refinished and painted their GEN 1 dash? I have a brand new one on my car, but the old one is sitting around, and I want to totally smooth it out and paint it. Curious what kind of sanding grit paper to use, or other method, and what type of paint, and if primer is necessary too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
V

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANKS FLASH! You have been a tremendous help. I think i have all my questions answered. :headbang:

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very easy, just be careful not to handle the plastic dash roughly or it could be broken. that's it, just look at the old posts, there's plenty of info and the difference is amazing.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
im starting the project now. the drivers side and glove box is pretty gummy with the oem paint. the gummy stuff cam off very easy with easy off. the passenger side that was not gummy didnt come off at all but is really clean now... i just may have to scrub harder. im torn about the spray paint others have said works great. i used that krylon fusion before on plastic deck chairs and you could see the molding swirls from when the chair was made. i think it makes all imperfections amplified. what have others done and how does it look?:dunno:

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am trying to get mine converted to vinyl to match the rest of the car...why not go this route?

Daston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spray paint should work fine, we have been doing this on Supras for a while now, I use normal car paint with a laquer coat.

You must be registered for see images

I know its a totally different car but the same method could be used.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
its all leather from what the main page says. that is sad if thats the poster child for their work. pulls and bubbles = better if painted.:crazy2:

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw this on Venzano's site over the weekend.

http://www.venzanoviper.com/images/cars/rickreuter/rrred_dash.jpg

It looks like the dash is wrapped in something (especially around the A/C ducts) but I don't know if it's leather or vinyl.

Just my $.02: unless it's done properly and doesn't bubble like it did here, I think painting may be a better/safer/easier way to go.

wow that actually looks really good, but yeah around the vents it looks like crap, this would be very hard to do.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony at Venzano did my gen 1 dash in leather as well. You CANNOT beat his quality. He is the leather master. I made all of the dash rings and polish the steering wheels.

Jeff