pass. Window problems.

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put my window down this evening and when I went to put it up it did not come up. I can hear the motor trying but no movement from the window. I also noticed a metal wire sticking out with a metal round clamp at the end. I hope I don't need all new motor.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your plastic part that slides up and down and which is clipped to the actual window broke. Unfortunately I know all about this. If the motor is still working fine like you think you can buy the plastic part only from Jon B for under $100. Taking the door panel off is straightforward and once you get into the door how the window assembly works is very easy to figure out.

Wait a minute: where is this wire sticking out? Does it have a ferrel on the end. Maybe it did just pop out of the plastic part as suggested.

OP
OP
S

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wire is sticking out where the window goes up & down between the mouldings. ferrel is still attached.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a coincidence, this just happened to mine too. I took a long look at it and posted the same questions. Seems after a trip to the Dodge dealer and a short chat with Mr Chuck Tator, I have to order a new pass. window regulator. Not a cheap purchase to say the least. Best part is Chuck hit me with a 25% discount and it's currently on order. Ill have to take it to Dodge to get it put in... Seems this is a slightly common problem. :(

:usa:

OP
OP
S

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess i have to have the dealer check to make sure that is what is needed and if so have my father order it for me at dealer cost. That way i only have to pay to have it installed.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess i have to have the dealer check to make sure that is what is needed and if so have my father order it for me at dealer cost. That way i only have to pay to have it installed.

My suggestion is to do just that. I took off the door panel and drove it to the dealer. What a crap experience that was, but I won't get into that. Basically the Viper Tech looked at the cables which were rusted out and all unwound. He said there is no way to re-run those cables in the door. Also the plastic "ferrel" as it is called, was snapped and not completely tight on the track. I am hoping everything I need comes from the dealer in the package I ordered.

2002snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FINALLY HOME AND PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN !!!
Mine did it today . Chuck says it is ordered as an entire sub assembly. I may be able to get the plastic part I need from a wrecked viper,but if not I have to order the whole thing and Chuck also said they are getting harder to get.A big thanks to Chuck Tator for walking me thru it , and the patience to talk me thru it over the phone.What a great guy...
AL

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine did it today . Chuck says it is ordered as an entire sub assembly. I may be able to get the plastic part I need from a wrecked viper,but if not I have to order the whole thing and Chuck also said they are getting harder to get.A big thanks to Chuck Tator for walking me thru it , and the patience to talk me thru it over the phone.What a great guy...
AL

I am pretty sure that I had the whole assembly ordered. I may need that plastic piece that you are speaking of also. If you come accross a place to find one new or used can you send me a PM or snag a second and Ill get it from you. Im going to call Chuck to see if I indeed need that also or not.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Informative post! Just so happens that my driver side window decided to quit working right before I put it away for the winter. But sometimes my window works and sometimes it doesn't. Really odd but it looks like a trip the local Dodge dealer is in my future, along with a nice repair bill!!

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Informative post! Just so happens that my driver side window decided to quit working right before I put it away for the winter. But sometimes my window works and sometimes it doesn't. Really odd but it looks like a trip the local Dodge dealer is in my future, along with a nice repair bill!!

The problem you are describing on your driver's door sounds more like the switch or an associated relay is going bad. If you do a search for passenger windows you'll see more replies from the guys with more experience when they posted about my original problem.

2002snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FINALLY HOME AND PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN !!!
LOL 3 bolts on the motor ... 2 bolts and a nut on the rail and the whole assembly comes out on the 02. I did the makeshift repair outside the door and put it all back in... The little tabs on the plastic slide took a dump on mine. I put it all back together and put # 10 fat head pan head screws in the slide .They overhang to the rail and keeps it from coming off . I went up and down maybe 100 times,No signs of loosening... Hope it lasts until I find the part. In my eyes , my repair is better then the original design... We'll see
AL

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL 3 bolts on the motor ... 2 bolts and a nut on the rail and the whole assembly comes out on the 02. I did the makeshift repair outside the door and put it all back in... The little tabs on the plastic slide took a dump on mine. I put it all back together and put # 10 fat head pan head screws in the slide .They overhang to the rail and keeps it from coming off . I went up and down maybe 100 times,No signs of loosening... Hope it lasts until I find the part. In my eyes , my repair is better then the original design... We'll see
AL

Hope your makeshift repair lasts... The assembly is quite expensive and along with the labor to have a dealer install this is gonna ****. I plan to take a look at the assemble and see how difficult the install may be. Perhaps I too can get lucky and put it back together for the cost of parts alone.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your plastic part that slides up and down and which is clipped to the actual window broke. Unfortunately I know all about this. If the motor is still working fine like you think you can buy the plastic part only from Jon B for under $100. .

Seems like at least 2 guys did NOT read your kind referral, thanks. DODGE DOES NOT OFFER THIS ITEM......

We have helped over 100 owners NOT have to buy an expensive regulator even at our all-year 25% off price.....

OP
OP
S

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the panel of the door today, but there are a set of wires that are all unsprung, I couldn't even tell where they go or even where to start. Very hard to see inside the door do to lack of openings. There is this clip that looks brand new, it just looks like it fell off something. two wires unraveled into the door. With out removing the motor assembly and trying to figure out how the wires go. I saw a place where something should be on the bottom of the window, looks like the clip i found at the bottom goes thee, but i have no clue. I will have the dealer look and see if anything needs replaced or it just needs to be repaired.

i attached a link to show you what i saw when i took the panel off.

http://www.mopar.com/pdf/viper/00sr.PDF

page 142.

part labeled number 12 was all unraveled.

it was very clean inside, no rust on any bolts that i could see.

so that is where i am at, at this point.

I will drop it off at dealer probably next week.

let me know if you need more described to you.

OP
OP
S

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well dealer found out that the regulator wires snapped and the plastic peace also broke. If all goes right i should have it back today for the hot weather this week.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Happened to me a couple months ago on my passenger side, only it happened as I was rolling my window down. After about a 1/4 of the way down, it broke and the window free fell into the door. I'm surprised the glass didn't break!

$75 dollars later through Paul Scharfe, all is good.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The day I got my viper the drivers-side window.. I put it down and it wouldn't go back up. You could kinda hear the motor making noise a tad like the window was trying to go back up.

This is a common problem in Vipers I was told. What I did was.. I opened up the door.. down where the hinges are that connect the door to the car itself. You will see wires.. those wires get pinched occasionally as you open and close the door. I kinda played around with them and moved them as much as I could and to my surprise the window worked again and has for a week now since I first got the car last Tuesday. I did call Chuck Tator though and he said he could install something to completely replace that issue so I will most likely have this done when I go to see him next month.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the best fix is to go buy yourself an early gen1. i have not had a single issue with the windows. oh yea, i dont have windows.... :D

OP
OP
S

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got lucky. I only paid $360 for the part plus labor. But since it was going to be real nice this week i asked them to overnight the part from FL so i could drive it this week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32