Paxton Air to Water Intercooler Coolant?

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My cam sensor went out so I decided to take my Paxton Air to Water intercooler out to clean it and to install a new BOV. My question is, it looks like the paxton coolant is used only for the paxton as it does not circulate thru the engine. Is this correct? Also, when I take this off I am going to lose some coolant. Is there a port that I can fill it back up? How much should it hold? This is the first time I have taking it off so wanted to research before I do it. Thanks for the help! :headbang:

Reaction score
There is a black reservoir that fills the coolant. You can use straight water in the summer if you want but the recommended fill is 90/10 water and coolant. This prevents freezing in cold weather and lubricates a little.

They are not the same as the engine by the way.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good Mark. I took a look and saw the reservoir.

Do you install a different BOV when you do the Paxton kits? Is there a BOV that you would recommend? Kind of want to chance mine out to get a different sound. Mine is the stock paxton BOV.

Also, the air filter that is on the back side of the air to water cooler is soaked with oil. I think it got this way when the paxton was leaking oil before I had it rebuilt. I'm going to change it out with a new one. Do you think it hurt my performance any because of this?

Reaction score
Sounds good Mark. I took a look and saw the reservoir.

Do you install a different BOV when you do the Paxton kits? Is there a BOV that you would recommend? Kind of want to chance mine out to get a different sound. Mine is the stock Paxton BOV.

Also, the air filter that is on the back side of the air to water cooler is soaked with oil. I think it got this way when the Paxton was leaking oil before I had it rebuilt. I'm going to change it out with a new one. Do you think it hurt my performance any because of this?

We have always used the Paxton BOV.

I would check and clean out any oily residue you can get to. The oil vapor will act to lowering the octane of your fuel so yes it can hurt you. Plus sensors don't care for it much either.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good Mark. Thanks again for your help. I'm be calling you soon to get some of your engine and trans mounts as mine are going out. Not looking forward to the install tho...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, use a different color antifreeze in the cooler than you do in your engine. if you get a leak, you will know which one it is...

stock paxton BOV is on mine and works just fine.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Phil, I found out a little more about my engine. It is a 510 Stroker! Was very happy when I heard that! ha I was kind of wanting the BOV sounds. So figured I would try something new to see how I liked it.

Good advise on the coolant!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
told you it was a stroker. had mine built by the same guys UG uses.

the BOV doesn't change anything except the sound which does sound very cool. i had an aftermarket one on mine originally but doug had to change the cooler around for my car so it was easier to go with the paxton one and id rather the other car didnt know mine was boosted :)

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you remember which one you had on yours? I'm trying to find one that people like the sound of. When I had my turbo car I always loved that sound. Not sure if it will sound the same or not but I think I want people to know... ha

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't still have it do you? How was the sound? Loud? Did it bolt/clap right in?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a bolt in.
sound was pretty loud, just like a neon/civic/mustang with his BOV

gave it to boost almighty 2 years ago, sorry. maybe he has it ?

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea I will ask him and see if he does. I saw him this past weekend. Should have asked him! So you are saying I will sound like a neon? haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten