Paxton Automotive: Road to Destruction

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We have installed about 20 of these systems with no problem.
The system works well with most modifications to the exhaust (except cat removal). With additional engine modifications a fuel system upgrade is required (injectors etc). If you want big hp (700-900rwhp) then a fuel system specific application is required. I am interested in what happened to your particular vehicle and think Paxton wants to keep customers happy. Let us know the details related to the particular failure. Maybe we can help others.

The system works well with most modifications to the exhaust (except cat removal)

I have no cats I heard that w/o cats I will make a little less boost, but that can be fixed with a smaller pulley. Please advise.

vd..

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, the fuel system in the Paxton system is lacking....if you think about it, Sean Roe's system has 42-50lb injectors running about the same amount of boost as the Paxton. What I seem to have found out is that the Paxton system maxes out the stock injectors which still is not enough fuel for the system. Now can the Paxton system be a big HP contender? Yes it can as you have seen it with some tuners. Doug Levin has promised to help work things out with Paxton and myself, so that is the right step in the right direction. We just haven't had time to come to some happy medium to get it resolved yet. I personally like the way the Paxton system looks compared to the Roe, but both are completely different chargers..but both require more fuel than a stock bottom fed injector.

I will keep everyone posted on the outcome of how Paxton's service is and the end results.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ab,

Glad to see they are working with you. I know your one of the first people to find the problem with the inadequate fuel delivery system they bandaid with the "DIY kit."

Side note:
I think its VERY interesting that the only people supporting the Paxton kit as being safe are the RESELLERS, TUNERS and the tuner's customers that sell/use the product in their custom applications. How come no DIY'ers are disputing what I am saying ?

Any case, I gain nothing from sharing this information, I am asking eveyone to be an INFORMED buyer thats all. I have to stand up for what I know, and thats what I am doing. The only possible gain from this might be that OTHERs will be brave enough to do the same, when they find a faulty product, or are wronged by a vendor such as I have.

Jon

VPRTKMIKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
I was wondering if you had any other mod's to your car? I have installed a few kits and had alot of success, yes the first install I had a/f ratio problems but only because of other mod's. when I had the problem I just contacted Micah and he helped me resolve the problem.He has also introduced me to Doug Levin who over the phone has helped me understand the tuning of a Paxton kit. I think that their customer support is just as good as any other company.I also deal with Sean Roe and I feel you could have an a/f ratio problem with either kit, but both have been extremely helpful in the customer/technical support area.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
I was wondering if you had any other mod's to your car? I have installed a few kits and had alot of success, yes the first install I had a/f ratio problems but only because of other mod's. when I had the problem I just contacted Micah and he helped me resolve the problem.He has also introduced me to Doug Levin who over the phone has helped me understand the tuning of a Paxton kit. I think that their customer support is just as good as any other company.I also deal with Sean Roe and I feel you could have an a/f ratio problem with either kit, but both have been extremely helpful in the customer/technical support area.

Mike, Thanks for the input. First my set up was discussed with Kelly H. of Paxton before the sale and he agreed and confirmed all would be fine. I had T&D's on at the time, as my only mod. Question, installed a few ? Why would you be installing FEW DIY kits ? You have multiple Vipers ? Or a few Viper friends you helped out ? Either Case, glad you had a much better interaction with the support oranisation at Paxton, apparently you received a significantly higher level of support then most as stated by others in this post. I see with only 4 posts on this board to date, your relatively new, perhaps as you build credibility, one would be more inclinded to value your view that Paxton is just as supportive as Shawn Roe, however, I feel your statement is a defamation of Shawn Roe. Paxton is NO Shawn Roe.

Jon

VPRTKMIKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JON,
i really am amazed at your ignorance!Thinking that the amount of posts reflects someones skill or experience.I know sean and respect him so how you get that is beyond me.you also have no idea that I am a viper tech at a DODGE dealer.but it is an insult to myself and other higher skilled tuners to have you saying these rediculous things to us.If this is how you treat other people that are trying to help it's nowonder that you felt they did not help.

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My battle with Paxton Automotive's poorly designed super charger offering for the Gen II Viper, has been a long road. I have finally recovered some of my money back, from the products obvious inability to perform as advertised. The following is a note I sent to my bank to recover the funds spent on Paxton Automotive's Super Charger kit for Gen II Viper:

"I purchased a Paxton Super Charger Kit for my 2002 Dodge Viper (Car) on December 16, 2003 after discussing with Sales associate Kelly Herring from Paxton Automotive Corporation my cars configuration and Paxton's Super Charger offering for my vehicle type. The merchandise arrived on the December 26, 2003. I installed said merchandise per the instruction manual December 26-28, 2003 on my 2002 Dodge Viper. On December 29, 2003 I took the vehicle and newly installed Super Charger kit to Dynometer Testing Facility to accurately and scientifically check my Vehicles operation with said kit installed. The readings done on my vehicle by the test machine indicated that Paxton delivered on the increase in power, but failed to deliver "safe, reliable operation" solution they promised in their advertisement. The engine was being run with dangerously low amounts of fuel (poor Air to Fuel ratio) given the amount of power it was producing. I contacted Paxton regarding this situation, and was assured that a simple fix was in order. Kelly Herring directed me to change the recalibration of my fuel management system, with their supplied recalibration kit. I followed the directions that came with the kit and made the necessary recalibration. Then on 1/17/2004, I once again had my car retested to make sure this recalibration was the solution to the problem. Upon the first test, it was readily apparent the recalibration did little to rectify the situation. I contacted Paxton Automotive Corporation on January 20, 2003 and once again spoke to Kelly Herring regarding my issue. This time Kelly was far less helpful then his previously lacking support had been. I was told that everything was fine and if I needed further insight into this products use and safety that I should contact Mike Adams, a reseller of Paxton Supercharging Kits. Due to the lack of support from Paxton Automotive regarding my concerns, inability to resolve my issue, poor reliability of said product, and eventual damage of my engine from their Super Charger kit, I spoke to Jamie Rabago, Paxton Automotive Corporations Service Manager, in an attempt to receive restitution for defective product. After two weeks of discussions I was told that Paxton Automotive could not assist me, and was not liable for the failure of their product.

In summary, I was promised a "Paxton's new Dodge Viper system is the ultimate for the street in a smog legal bolt-on package" and "Complete fuel system upgrade includes dual high-flow fuel pumps, fuel control unit, fuel lines and wiring harness for safe, reliable operation" Paxton Failed to deliver on the "safe, reliable operation." Due to the Paxton Automotive Super Charger kit's damage to my engine, I have been forced to obtain alternate means of transportation as my engine is being rebuilt/car is getting fixed. All of which Paxton is forcing me to carry the complete burden of the cost and inconvenience."

My bank researched this issue, which lasted almost 4 months, but eventually the decision was found to be in my favor, my bank charged back to Paxton for the product and I returned it to Paxton Automotive. While I have fully recovered the cost of the products purchase, no restitution was made for the damage sustained to my engine or the loss of use of my vehicle directly related to this product. I expect none at this point, but I think it’s critical that I finally come forward as to the details of the situation, so that others can make an informed purchase. I might get flamed here, or beat up by the Paxton reps on here, or even Paxton directly, but in the end if I save 1 person from making an uninformed decision about buying their Viper product, then it will have been worth it.

Jon

I feel for your troubles, I'm sure you all remember my run in with Paxton But in all fairness Paxton took care of the problems I had immediately and my car runs Great! They even called to make sure everything worked out. So I have to say Thank You Paxton, just my two cents.
JC :usa:

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JON,
i really am amazed at your ignorance!Thinking that the amount of posts reflects someones skill or experience.I know sean and respect him so how you get that is beyond me.you also have no idea that I am a viper tech at a DODGE dealer.but it is an insult to myself and other higher skilled tuners to have you saying these rediculous things to us.If this is how you treat other people that are trying to help it's nowonder that you felt they did not help.

Wow, maybe you could read my response again, I said credibility here, but somehow that means "skill and experience" to you ? Anyway, what I was trying to ascertain, was if you were TRULY a DIY'er. Now that I see your a Viper Tech, I would have to say you don't really seem like a DIY'er. And now I see your showing your ignorance by assuming you know what transpired in the communications I had with Paxton, when I tried to solicit their help.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I stated previously, it was going to take a few days to get my photos of the spark plugs off a friends camera/computer. Here are those photos. Please be aware, by the time I found my plugs in this state it was too late. If your going to do the Paxton DIYer kit, please be VERY CAREFULL to make sure your spark plugs dont look like these, check them often, until your 100% confident that the system works. Which obviously was never the case for me.

4596Paxton-destroy5-med.jpg

4596Paxton-destroy6-med.jpg

4596Paxton-destroy3-med.jpg

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cold plugs would not help that prob. I have had detonation on one of my turbo cars, and the most it did was desolve the tip just a little over 6 months. Those pics are from mass detonation.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I stated previously, it was going to take a few days to get my photos of the spark plugs off a friends camera/computer. Here are those photos. Please be aware, by the time I found my plugs in this state it was too late. If your going to do the Paxton DIYer kit, please be VERY CAREFULL to make sure your spark plugs dont look like these, check them often, until your 100% confident that the system works. Which obviously was never the case for me.

4596Paxton-destroy5-med.jpg

4596Paxton-destroy6-med.jpg

4596Paxton-destroy3-med.jpg

:eek: :eek:

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My tech is putting on my polished Paxton right now! , along with the Vec II, billet fuel rails, much bigger RC injectors, and a custom fuel system that includes two aftermarket fuel pumps along with bigger fuel lines and connectors. These were things that I learned that I needed through a little research on various forums such as this one. Keep the info coming and use it to your advantage beforn making a big DIY mistake. Jon provided much of this info. I still picked the Paxton due to the fact that all these problems can corrected.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My tech is putting on my polished Paxton right now! , along with the Vec II, billet fuel rails, much bigger RC injectors, and a custom fuel system that includes two aftermarket fuel pumps along with bigger fuel lines and connectors. These were things that I learned that I needed through a little research on various forums such as this one. Keep the info coming and use it to your advantage beforn making a big DIY mistake. Jon provided much of this info. I still picked the Paxton due to the fact that all these problems can corrected.

Beleive it or not, that makes me feel really good. Glad to see someone was spared the burden of finding out too late that the stock Paxton DIY kit isnt really a DIY kit in its standard form.

Viper D, I got 3545 miles before those plugs along with my motor, got replaced/rebuilt.

Jon

PS. To the guys saying "looks lean", those spark plugs can be yours as a free bonus, when you installing the Paxton DIY kit. You too can have these great plugs, in less the 4,000 miles !! :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog