Paxton belt alignment??

OVERBOOST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after resetting the belt on the pulley three times it's time to permanently fix this. It keeps coming off one rib. Can some of you paxton guys help me out on this.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The obvious answer to me is that the Paxton pulley is out of alignment with the rest of the pulleys. The belt is jumping to where it wants to run due to the position of the pulley. You need to adjust the blower or the pulley on the blower to align with the other pulleys.
Jerry

Last edited:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry Scott[CO];2753978 said:
The obvious answer to me is that the Paxton pulley is out of alignment with the rest of the pulleys. The belt is jumping to where it wants to run due to the position of the pulley. You need to adjust the blower or the pulley on the blower to align with the other pulleys.
Jerry

Ditto, the pulleys are out of alignment. Based on the way the belt is riding it looks like the blower pulley needs to be spaced out a little. It would need to be removed and an appropriate shim washer installed behind it and then the pulley reinstalled. Had to do this on a 5.0 Mustang to get the pulleys aligned. Needed an impact gun to remove blower pulley bolt though. You may also be able to shim the blower bracket to space the whole blower out some instead of shimming the pulley but I think that's harder to do.

While I don't know about the Paxton kit on a Gen 2, my Mustang blower pulley had no shoulder originally. There was nothing to keep the belt from walking. Paxton apparently redesigned the pulley with a shoulder which when installed and properly aligned prevented the belt from walking or being thrown off (as it will if you don't get it fixed). Throwing a belt is bad stuff as it can whip around and break a lot of stuff. Happened on the Mustang, hit the fan, which hit the radiator, which cooked the engine (was on the track at the time). Needed a new engine after that. If your pulley doesn't have a shoulder ask Paxton if they have one that does.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock pulley. Changed out a washer to fix the alignment and now I have the smaller pulley on it with a shoulder so it's not going anywere.:D

The smaller pulley will actually misalign worse vs. a larger one. But that notwithstanding, I hate this problem. you can either space out the pulley, sometimes use washers on the blower head-unit, or you need to look at your tensioner to see whether it is part of the cause.

If you get a laser for like $5 from home depot and you shoot it down the pullies, you'll probably see the mis-alignment. The _other_ way to do it is to get a straight-edge and use that to check alignment.

something has moved, though, and i can't tell what it is from the pics. so check the tensioner to be sure.

good luck!

OP
OP
O

OVERBOOST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just going to say that this is a old post from 08. I have since went to a smaller pulley. But when I had the stock one that has no shoulder I did exactly what dell said and added a washer behind the pulley on the Paxton. Fixed it right up! I even think I called you about this Dell. Mike is the one that told me to call you. You were spot on Dell, thanks!