Paxton is back.....but still have a leak !

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I sent my paxton back due to a leak (seal?) ....They tested the unit @ Paxton and determined that is not leaking. So..... I checked a couple of the oil feed lines for "kinks" (per Doug Levin)...The main oil drain line was in fact pinched a bit. So I re-routed the line so it has a free flow...Guess what? Still have a leak somewhere... Its really hard to determine where it is coming from...oil seems to be slung everywhere... Oh yea, I have also made sure that oil isn't blowing back into the airbox (like some people have experienced)...Any ideas? I have checked the fittings on both lines, drain plugs etc.... Regards, leaky viper in Maryland.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my best suggesstion: 1 - clean your garage floor. 2 - clean the underside of the car (use a brake cleaner of some sort). 3 - start the car and let it idle in the garage for a few min. 4 - let it sit and watch for where it drips on the floor.

Which side of the motor is it leaking from? that may give you a clue as to where it is leaking...

JD

OP
OP
P

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to be leaking from the back of the unit...Or its leaking somewhere else and "slinging" oil on the unit....Its seems to be on the unit's side though...

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my best suggesstion: 1 - clean your garage floor. 2 - clean the underside of the car (use a brake cleaner of some sort). 3 - start the car and let it idle in the garage for a few min. 4 - let it sit and watch for where it drips on the floor.

Which side of the motor is it leaking from? that may give you a clue as to where it is leaking...

JD

seems like a plan to me

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say back of the unit do you mean from the area around the drive pulley? If so you would think the shaft seal would be the culprit. I would clean the engine off well, add some oil dye (the dealer should have this) and then check with a black light to find where it is coming from. Be careful though to check fairly quickly as you do not want the dye to spread too far.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paxton is junk, sorry to hear you are having an issue with them. I of course was one of the first to in viper club, but their support and assistance made it all better... NOT.. No more paxton for me.

Jon

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad for you. My experience for both the product and their support differs significantly. Note this is the Gen III forum and the product does differ. Paxton did a fine job developing the system for the Gen III, and that is why it will remain the supercharger of choice well into the future.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Prevnine,

GR8 ASP's idea is a good one. Clean everything up, add the dye to the oil, check with a black light, quickly. I doubt that the Paxton is leaking. It is more likely oil is leaking out something loose somewhere or being blown out and being slung up there by the belts. I have faced and conquered my oil leaking problems too. When I was chasing my oil leak, the belts always slung the oil up towards the supercharger, so initially I thought as you do, that the supercharger was leaking. All kinds of bolts vibrate loose on these cars over time and miles. I'm at the point now with 24,000 miles on the car where I regularly check many bolts during each oil change and I always find something looser than it should be.

Good luck,

Dan

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paxton is junk, sorry to hear you are having an issue with them. I of course was one of the first to in viper club, but their support and assistance made it all better... NOT.. No more paxton for me.

Jon

I love all of my 700 rw junk hp. :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

vd..

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool for you guys.. glad ya are happy with them. I wasn't and my opinion is just as valid as yours.

I think is funny you guys are bragging about the RWHP numbers, that some how justifies the product? I got 720 with mine.. whoopy doo.. doesnt mean it was worth a $hit to me.

Anyways, SC are the old way anyways.. Heffner is showing the big boys play with Turbos..

Jon

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love twin turbos! I think Jason is a bad ass for all the awesome cars him and RSI are turning out the numbers and performance are awesome. Good for you 02 ACR guy! If you don't like it don't buy another Paxton. I like superchargers so thats what I went with, but I would go the turbo route as well. Also acr guy we are not bragging just stating facts from our mods.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love twin turbos! I think Jason is a bad ass for all the awesome cars him and RSI are turning out the numbers and performance are awesome. Good for you 02 ACR guy! If you don't like it don't buy another Paxton. I like superchargers so thats what I went with, but I would go the turbo route as well. Also acr guy we are not bragging just stating facts from our mods.

Nah, its cool. I wasnt saying you guys were bragging, but just seemed that the hp numbers were somehow justifying the product. But like you said, eveyone has a right to their opinion, and choice of location to spend their dollars. The more we all know, the better... best of luck to you all with the SC's regardless of who makes them.

Jon

OP
OP
P

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the Dye test! Yep it is the Unit...This will be the 3rd time im having to send it back... C'mon Paxton, just replace mine with a new one ! Its only 1 month old!!...Jesus !! Unhappy in Maryland John.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon
YOu just have to buy your Paxton from the right person is all..

Nothing like being supported by DLM. :) :)

G

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Prevnine11,

I hope that the oil drain line wasn't clogged or pinched somehow, reducing oil flow from the supercharger.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala