Paxton supercharger evaluation

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We just finished another Paxton supercharger install for Smog certification. The results were the same as the last 3 cars, about 35% increase in power. Pictures of this kit can be found on our web site at www.dcperformanceinc.com The system uses a single NOVI 2000 supercharger and an air to water intercooler.

I thought that I would give my honest observation of this kit now that we have had enough time to evaluate it. As for any supercharger system it has its pluses and minuses. On the plus side this is the only supercharger system that is E. 0 certified for smog, it will pass a visual and tailpipe inspection and wont get you in trouble if you sell the car. It makes the advertised hp and the tuning is good for even the cast piston cars. The install is straight forward ( about a two day job) and can be done by any competent shop. The install includes a methop to key the balancer to the crank. A big plus is that this kit has the potential for huge hp if you wanted to upgrade. On the minus side, the power delivery is mostly in the 3500-6000rpm range. Those looking for torque down low like the Roe system will be disappointed. The NOVI 2000 is a big blower and needs to be spun up to work with maximum effiecincy.

Here is my driving impressions, the car drives like a normal Viper but about 3500 rpm it starts
to pull and between 5000-6000 it is pulling really hard. If you run the car hard through the gears
the power is very impressive. Overall the car feels like it is making 35% more power.

A note on the cast piston cars and power levels. The cast pistons are a weak link. We will not run
more than 6-7 pounds on these engines. These engines need to be tuned slightly richer and need a more aggressive timing retard curve. When tuned right there is no problems. If not tuned
right or driven hard with bad gas and detonated they will break the pistons. We offer a cockpit adjustable timing control for these cars. We have only had one cast piston car break a piston and that was when the owner had some else tune it for more power. On power output, we do not recomend more than 630 rwhp on the stock motor. We have built race engines for many years and know the weak links of these engines (especially the rods), you can get away with a lot on a stock motor for the street but the potential for problems is there.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance
310 841 6996

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, the link is not working?? Also, will you post some dyno numbers? How hard is it to key the crank? Can you elaborate on that? How does one tune the car, is it simply working with the retard box from a baseline or is there more to it? Have you experienced any check engine lights and misfire codes?

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you give us more information about the fuel system? Does it come with injectors, pump, etc.? What is used for a fuel computer?

OP
OP
D

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I will have dyno sheets on our website shortly. To answer your questions.
It is simple to key the crankshaft. You simply mount a plate with a pilot hole to the balancer, drill and press in a pin. The system uses the stock injector
and an FMU that changes fuel pressure with rpm. There are two additional fuel pumps that are staged to come on with varying amounts of boost. A timing controller controls retard with boost. The system requires no tuning
unless the engine has been modified. The system can be tuned by changing FMU discs to vary fuel delivery and the timing controller is laptop programmable. If you would like to add more power, a pulley change, larger injectors and a fuel pump voltage booster will do the trick.

Dan

HEMIPOWER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds promising. Would you not recommend the install be done by an individual. I saw where you mentioned taking it in to a shop to have the install done. What, if anything, would prevent one from doing it themselves.

Ted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtoce1